Rumor: Next-Gen Xbox to Be Revealed at E3, Releasing 2020 alongside Halo Infinite

Microsoft would have to be stupid to release a new console just two years after the overpowered X.

It won't be out till 2021, even if Sony releases their PS5 next year. At that console release cadence, can they really expect to make their money back on the tiny number of console sales, and the marginal amount of games?

You can't expect Live revenues to cover the costs of rebuilding the thing every two years. And MS only announced the X incredibly early because they got blow away by he Pro...tyhey would never do that if thew PS5 released next year.

MS has already read the writing on the wall as far as charging a premium for their X console. On Amazon (and every other big box store), It's now on permanent markdown to $12 under the PS4 Pro. While the Pro has not dropped in price since it's release three years ago.

The XB1 was an utter failure, MS wants to put it behind them. In 2020 the XB1 will be 7 years old. Seven years of a failed console and a failed attempt at a mid-gen refresh. Make no mistake, both the PS4 Pro and XBX were stop-gap solutions to woefully underpowered systems designed to allow the generation to last until they could get replacements out. Sony will undoubtedly launch the PS5 around the same time. There are already games being talked about as for "next generation platforms", that means developers either already have early devkits in hand or they've been informed that new systems are on the horizon.

The XB1 was an utter failure, MS wants to put it behind them. In 2020 the XB1 will be 7 years old. Seven years of a failed console and a failed attempt at a mid-gen refresh. Make no mistake, both the PS4 Pro and XBX were stop-gap solutions to woefully underpowered systems designed to allow the generation to last until they could get replacements out. Sony will undoubtedly launch the PS5 around the same time. There are already games being talked about as for "next generation platforms", that means developers either already have early devkits in hand or they've been informed that new systems are on the horizon.

The PS4 wasn't underpowered. It was a massive step up from my PC and Wii U.

The PS4 wasn't underpowered. It was a massive step up from my PC and Wii U.

Yes, the PS4 was underpowered. The CPU has been causing bottlenecks for both systems for most of their lifetime. While Jaguar was the best (realistically, only) option for Sony and MS at the time it was never a good chip. The Pro and X are both still held back by the CPU, but not quite as much as the base systems.

The X is a graphics powerhouse for a console however it has one problem.
The limiting factor of the X is the CPU which as far as I know is not much, if any, more powerful than the CPU found in the original system.
AMD just did not have the Zen CPU ready in time for the launch of the X or the PS4 Pro.

If the next system had the same everything as the X and a Zen 2 CPU, it would be a lot more capable. The frame rate is really limited by its current CPU and that is suspected to be the reason that many games can only run at 30fps.

Hopefully they can get everything right this time on the first try (I am certain they will since the X got everything right except it was too late).
Zen 2
NAVI
DDR5 or faster (it will have to be 12GB or more since the X has 12GB)
AC1750 or better
4K blu ray
Freesync
I will be surprised if it does have a 1TB NVME considering they cost $150-200. It would be dumb to add that to the cost.

I have a 1TB drive in my S and it seems small. Some games are near 100GB each. A 2TB+ hybrid platter would be a better option.

Last edited:
Yes, the PS4 was underpowered. The CPU has been causing bottlenecks for both systems for most of their lifetime. While Jaguar was the best (realistically, only) option for Sony and MS at the time it was never a good chip. The Pro and X are both still held back by the CPU, but not quite as much as the base systems.

Nah mo it wasn't. The systems runs brillianlyb and matter how powerful it could have been it would have still been a bottleneck since games target 30fps these days instead of 60.

The X is a graphics powerhouse for a console however it has one problem.
The limiting factor of the X is the CPU which as far as I know is not much, if any, more powerful than the CPU found in the original system.
AMD just did not have the Zen CPU ready in time for the launch of the X or the PS4 Pro.

If the next system had the same everything as the X and a Zen 2 CPU, it would be a lot more capable. The frame rate is really limited by its current CPU and that is suspected to be the reason that many games can only run at 30fps.

Hopefully they can get everything right this time on the first try (I am certain they will since the X got everything right except it was too late).
Zen 2
NAVI
DDR5 or faster (it will have to be 12GB or more since the X has 12GB)
AC1750 or better
4K blu ray
Freesync
I will be surprised if it does have a 1TB NVME considering they cost $150-200. It would be dumb to add that to the cost.

I have a 1TB drive in my S and it seems small. Some games are near 100GB each. A 2TB+ hybrid platter would be a better option.

It will probably use GDDR6, since that will already be mass-produced by the point. It will also have much higher bandwidth than DDR5.

Remember, the X already switched over to 12GB GDDR5 for the upgrade, so it's an obvious move forward fr both designs.

Lol... the Hardforum mythical $500 PC that can out perform consoles.

I was mainly referring to that occasional console generation that stands out at a good price point that some of us might consider modding it into a crossover pc device and not the 'I can build my own' rhetoric most regurgitate. This Anaconda is the 1st one I've seen since the PS2/PS3 days that I'd consider doing something like that to but since MS has nearly nonexistent exclusives there still wouldn't be much to gain for me. If it indeed comes out at this price I'm pretty sure it won't be long until we hear of someone doing so.

Back