Rumor: New GTX 1070 Ti Set for November

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This site is chock full of unofficial information on the not-yet confirmed-by-NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti video card. Given that the RX Vega 56 has put some performance competition into the 1070 market, all of this seems plausible to me. The new GTX 1070 Ti will basically be a 1604/1683 clocked version with 2432 stream processors using the current GP104 GPU, but the 1070 will sport GDDR5, instead of GDDR5X like the 1080. Pricing is rumored to be $70 less than the 1080. And TDP is coming in at 180 watts.

they'll be sold out almost instantly by miners and bots...

Ethereum mining may end before this leaving a huge amount of cards available on the used market. In addition the switch to gddr5 will do nothing but hurt mining performance

Ethereum mining may end before this leaving a huge amount of cards available on the used market. In addition the switch to gddr5 will do nothing but hurt mining performance

Many, many, many different coins to mine... i.e. etc

And you're wrong about the memory... ddr5x is complete crap for mining.

I guess nvidia wanted to know how vega would perform against the GTX1070 first. That's probably why it didn't get faster memory like the GTX1080 and 1060

I hope it gets either 11gbs GDDR5X or at least 9gbs GDDR5

None of this matters as the market at this level is so inflated the current going prices of 1070s is as much or higher than the MSRP on this 1070Ti. Oh, and RX56 custom cards won't be out until November at the earliest.

It's a terrible, terrible time to be in the market for a GPU.

Terrible time to be building at all, RAM is up, SSD's are up Video cards are way up. CPU's and hard drives are still reasonable. I'm basically waiting until black Friday to buy anything on the hope that I can get a fair deal (not even a good one).

Let there be a little one.

Terrible time to be building at all, RAM is up, SSD's are up Video cards are way up. CPU's and hard drives are still reasonable. I'm basically waiting until black Friday to buy anything on the hope that I can get a fair deal (not even a good one).

I'd been waiting to see movement on certain components for a little while. With the US economy slowing and the greenskin weak I was expecting to see price drops and I wasn't. So I started checking around and discovered that inflating prices globally have eaten up my savings. It's not right when so many components see synchronised price rises, it's suspicious.

I am not happy about this.

Last edited:
Let there be a little one.

I'd been waiting to see movement on certain components for a little while. With the US economy slowing and the greenskin weak I was expecting to see price drops and I wasn't. So I started checking around and discovered that inflating prices globally have eaten up my savings. It's not right when so many components see synchronised price rises, it's suspicious.

I am not happy about this.

Huh?

RAM and flash shortages causing the RAM and SSD price jumps. This is something that has been reported in the news here. Some of it has to do with decreased production and reallocation of production.

About the economy slowing. Not sure where you get that. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-economic-growth-hits-3-rate-in-second-quarter-2017-08-30

And inflation has been low because of slow economic growth for the last several years. With recent economic growth you should expect increased inflation.

global-inflation-rate-compared-to-previous-year.jpg

I don't see any reason to be "suspicious". Best to make sure your perceptions are inline with reality before getting ideas about conspiracy theories.

Huh?

RAM and flash shortages causing the RAM and SSD price jumps. This is something that has been reported in the news here. Some of it has to do with decreased production and reallocation of production.

About the economy slowing. Not sure where you get that. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-economic-growth-hits-3-rate-in-second-quarter-2017-08-30

And inflation has been low because of slow economic growth for the last several years. With recent economic growth you should expect increased inflation.

I don't see any reason to be "suspicious". Best to make sure your perceptions are inline with reality before getting ideas about conspiracy theories.

How is this any better than penny stocks?

Me to

Just poking around on Newegg - lower end 1080's are going for about $530. Lower end 1070's are going for about $430 - so about $100 difference right now.

So they are planning on putting out a new card that's ... $70 difference and think that will open up a new market?

Are the people spending $400+ on video cards so sensitive to price that $30 makes a big difference? It's less than sales tax in a lot of places.

Now, if it's $70 difference, and it somehow ends up benchmarking as good as the 1080, then there is a case to be made. It wouldn't be a pointless release, but it's still hardly a big deal.

Just poking around on Newegg - lower end 1080's are going for about $530. Lower end 1070's are going for about $430 - so about $100 difference right now.

So they are planning on putting out a new card that's ... $70 difference and think that will open up a new market?

Are the people spending $400+ on video cards so sensitive to price that $30 makes a big difference? It's less than sales tax in a lot of places.

Now, if it's $70 difference, and it somehow ends up benchmarking as good as the 1080, then there is a case to be made. It wouldn't be a pointless release, but it's still hardly a big deal.

Brian_B you know that nvidia sell the same FE to right and there 1070 Founders Edition is cheaper then the 3rdparty FE but with 1070 Ti come out next month $399 and I sure it going be as fast as the 1080 if not faster and to me and other that a better deal in long run which take me a very long to save up that $400 is which what I have next month WooHoo but we may never know black Friday may seal deal with some else if it at a good price.

So the 1070s stay at 430-460. The 1070ti lands at 480-500. 1080 goes up to 570-600. 1080ti 700. Seems legit.

;)

So the 1070s stay at 430-460. The 1070ti lands at 480-500. 1080 goes up to 570-600. 1080ti 700. Seems legit.

;)
The rumor has it $399 for 1070 Ti the 1070 will most likely get a price drop we have wait and see

did you see (I'm basically waiting until black Friday to buy anything on the hope that I can get a fair deal (not even a good one) that part is what I'm refer to it is about Black Friday which is still a ways off on November 24, 2017.

Brian_B you know that nvidia sell the same FE to right and there 1070 Founders Edition is cheaper then the 3rdparty FE but with 1070 Ti come out next month $399 and I sure it going be as fast as the 1080 if not faster and to me and other that a better deal in long run which take me a very long to save up that $400 is which what I have next month WooHoo but we may never know black Friday may seal deal with some else if it at a good price.

You need more . in there. This sentence sounds like me after 5 beers.

I wonder if they'll lower the prices of the 1070, 1060, 1050 because of this? For a small price difference, there would be no reason to buy the 1070. If it were $100 less than the Ti, I'd go for it. ~$30 or so? No way. I'd go the Ti without a second thought.

If it's available and not at an inflated price, I'm getting one for my son's Christmas present. He needs a new one. I was going to get a 1070 for him, but a 1070Ti would be better. :)

It's called a 1080. Save money on R&D and marketing and just drop the 1080 price $40 and you're done.

The rumor has it $399 for 1070 Ti the 1070 will most likely get a price drop we have wait and see

There's no way were going to get it for $399. Probably $499, which at that price point you might as well buy a 1080.

It's called a 1080. Save money on R&D and marketing and just drop the 1080 price $40 and you're done.

This is what I am saying. Absolutely no point. Then again there is a considerable difference in performance between the 1050, 1050ti, and the 1060. So whatever I guess. Although I suspect there is less of a performance gap between a 1070 and 1080.

did you see (I'm basically waiting until black Friday to buy anything on the hope that I can get a fair deal (not even a good one) that part is what I'm refer to it is about Black Friday which is still a ways off on November 24, 2017.

Oh, I was just poking some light-hearted grammatical fun. :D

Huh?

Worth noting to those who don't have much experience with compounding.

Those seem like relatively small numbers year over year, but if you multiply them all up, that means that global inflation has been 46.5% since 2009.

In other words, a GPU that cost $500 in 2009 would be the same price azs a GPU that costs $732.46 today.

By global inflation rates. US data is a little different.

Worth noting to those who don't have much experience with compounding.

Those seem like relatively small numbers year over year, but if you multiply them all up, that means that global inflation has been 46.5% since 2009.

In other words, a GPU that cost $500 in 2009 would be the same price azs a GPU that costs $732.46 today.

By global inflation rates. US data is a little different.

Z is correct, inflation is compounded. Lets say you have 10% inflation in the year 2020 which means it takes $1.10 in 2021 to have the same purchasing power as $1.00 did in 2020. Then lets say you have 10% inflation again in 2021. In 2022 it will take $1.21 to equal the purchasing power of $1.10 in 2021 or $1.00 in 2020.

His post motivated me to spend a few minutes finding a decent chart of US inflation by year:
Chart wasn't working directly linked. Go here: http://www.in2013dollars.com/

Now here is the same data, but figured cumulatively:
Cumulative_Inflation_1913-2015_650.jpg

This one really opens some eyes. You can see that $20 won't buy today what $1 could in 1913.

No No No. Do a 1060 TI, not a 1070 TI. The difference between the 1070 and 1080 is already pretty damn thin (except for cost)

Ethereum mining may end before this leaving a huge amount of cards available on the used market.

"Just wait for the flood of cheap used GPU's when mining crashes" -- every day, since 2009.

I wonder how much my asus 1070 strix will drop. I should probably think about selling it ASAP.

That card is pretty much 100% aimed at mining , probably the first that would actually deserve that title.

Back