RUMOR: Kaby Lake-G Spotted with Separate GPU Chip Under the Hood

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
You may remember when we broke the news that an AMD-Intel GPU licensing deal was being considered, and later confirmed it. Well, we might be seeing early leaks of the first fruits of this endeavor.

In today's google translate rumor special (here is the original link if you are a language wiz) Benchlife.info brings us reports of what supposedly is a Kaby Lake-G CPU, with a separate unnamed GPU chip under the hood connected using 8 PCIe lanes. At least initially, this appears to be a BGA chip for mobile applications.

The package is apparently quite large at 58.5 x 31mm, and will initially come in two variants, 100W and 65W respectively.

We don't know for sure that the GPU in question is an AMD GPU, but between the news we broke in May last year, and the fact that this GPU supposedly comes with an HBM2 memory stack, this seems to be a logical conclusion.

The Intel 7th Generation Core processor is codenamed Kaby Lake, and it has Kaby Lake-Y, Kaby Lake-U, Kaby Lake-H, Kaby Lake-S and Kaby Lake-R, the most familiar of which is the desktop computer With the Kaby Lake-S series of products; in the recent receipt of the information, we see a code-named Kaby Lake-G products appear.

Doesn't add up.

Agreed, I thought those power envelopes were a bit large for mobile applications as well, but consider that this is the combined TDP for both the CPU and GPU. Could it be that these are geared towards gaming laptops, where you typically find a larger mobile version of Nvidia's GPU's alongside the CPU?

Agreed, I thought those power envelopes were a bit large for mobile applications as well, but consider that this is the combined TDP for both the CPU and GPU. Could it be that these are geared towards gaming laptops, where you typically find a larger mobile version of Nvidia's GPU's alongside the CPU?
Workstation replacement laptops, AIO systems, NUC maybe?

Gaming NUC, that might be something.
Eh.... that I kinda doubt. But there are some business uses for small systems actually capable of doing 3d worth a crap without being gaming systems. If it were integrated and meant to be for use in gaming, at most some sort of console platform thing.

Do you guys think that part of this deal with Intel included some RnD and that's why AMD ended up with Ryzen, because its very clear from the last few chips that AMD wasn't able to do it alone. "Hey we can fix your GPU if you can help us fix this Core Mesh problem we got...." lol just speculation.

Do you guys think that part of this deal with Intel included some RnD and that's why AMD ended up with Ryzen, because its very clear from the last few chips that AMD wasn't able to do it alone. "Hey we can fix your GPU if you can help us fix this Core Mesh problem we got...." lol just speculation.
no...

They didn't do it alone. They took Jim Keller on board to re-design from the ground up. He's kind of a big deal.

It's not exactly like they are across the country from each other. According to their neighbor Google, the two companies are about 2 miles apart. So Non-Competes aside, you're gonna get bleed over either way.

Yeah. I can't help but wonder how much Jim Keller cost them. I'm sure he didn't come cheap.

Oh, I would love to see the balance sheet that's for sure. I mean, it was a brilliant move....for one Keller brings legitimacy that helped shore up people's belief that they wouldn't completely screw this release up. And Keller is as close to a rock star as it gets in chip design. Considering they went from 220 watt dryers to a 8/16 chip at 65 watts is freaking remarkable considering the comparable R&D they have compared to Intel. If Keller got stock options at all in his deal he's probably made out like a bandit right now.

Now that is something you don't speculate on very often. The reality though is that Intel with their incredibly vast resources could crush AMD and ATI and any point. I think it is pretty amazing that ATI could be a part of Intel's processors but at the same time worried that AMD will continue to let ATI slip the way their CPU's slipped and became non-competitive starting with that Bulldozer disaster.

Looks like that deal that so many said would not happen, has happened. Still to vague tho to call it confirmed yet.

They didn't do it alone. They took Jim Keller on board to re-design from the ground up. He's kind of a big deal.

big-Deal.png

First thing I did was to check the date of this article, surprisingly it is not April 1st.

Back