Rumor: HTC Making Nexus Phones For Next Three Years

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
HTC was the designer and manufacturer for the original Nexus, and now it looks like they may have exclusivity on producing them for Google for three straight years.

A post to social network Weibo, spotted by Chinese site MyDrivers, claims HTC will design and manufacture stock Android phones for Google for the next few years. That would mark the first time Google’s stuck with one company for more than two years in a row. It also comes as a bit of a surprise because HTC’s last attempt at a Nexus product, the Nexus 9 tablet, wasn’t much of a hit compared to the Asus-made Nexus 7.

I've never owned a HTC phone but I hope this helps them get back in the game as they've barely been holding onto a small share of the smartphone market.

I haven't seen this on Droid-Life and they're usually in the know about realistic Nexus rumors. Probably a load of bunk, especially since Google likes to give different manufacturers a chance to shine.

Maybe this is just an indication that Google intends to further expand the Nexus line. They did 2 phones from different manufacturers this past design cycle.

Back