[rumor] HKEPC: Radeon X1900 will be released in Q1 of next year

i hope that this card comes sooner rather than later to push prices down into ranges where I will be buying again.

I would love to this out in Jan or Feb but after seeing the X1800XL and XT series I am not getting my hopes up on performance. I expect nothing from them at this point it makes me sleep better at night :).

Cross your fingers and hope the competition comes back somewhat.

Chilly said:
Did anyone else pay attention to the article other than me, $1000 PER CARD OMFG, I'm serous nVidia and ATi are gonna price themselfs out of the market, the day I have to spend 100$ on 1 Videocard, not even 1000$ for an sli/cf set up, no $1000 for 1 stinking card, is the day I kill both ceo's and hold people hostage!

Chilly

P.S. Just incase anyone missed the sarcasm, no I'm NOT gonna go kill people or hold people hostage, but I will boycott
um, go back and read it more carefully, it said in the future prices may get that high, but i dont think this one's going to be...

The general consensus seems to be that R580 will have 3 shader pipes per pixel pipeline. So, that's 16 pixel pipes (like R520) and 48 shader pipes (3x R520). In shader-intensive games it should be quite a bit quicker than R520....... duh. :p

Well what's a pipe then?

I dont see how arbitrarily dividing 48 "pixel shaders" into units of 16 makes anybody feel any better about it. You still have 48 pipes. Does it make you feel better to call them 16 pipes?

I am pretty sure it's 48. 192 ALU's all told, counting mini ALU's. But we'll see and I'll stop bumping this. But I will remind you if I'm right.

And to that guy dogging X1800, it eqauls or exceeds everything but the unavailable 512 GTX for the most part. If you really break it down to 7800 vs X1800 and leave the 512 out of it, as you should, they've done pretty well.

Sometimes the X1800XT matches up with the 512, even.

and 48 shader pipes (3x R520).

But a R520 has 2 ALU's per pipe. So this wouldn't make sense. Nor would it be 3X. It would be 1.5X. Basically by this logic a R520 is 32 pipes. 16 pipes with two "pixel processors" per pipe.

I've also been told the current pipe/alu structure would not be changed because the compiler is already highly tuned for it. This is where the 16 pipes/3 ALU's theory goes wrong.

Also why is it okay for Nividia to lead ATI by 8 pipes (32-24) but not ATI to lead Nvidia by 8 (40-32). But 40 is not far from 48. So it is possible.

Even morseo, if Nvidia is really going to hit 750 mhz next time around, then 24 pipes (16X3=48 ALU's=24 pipes in current terms) is not going to do it, because ATI would no longer have a large clockspeed advantage to make up their pipe deficit. Unless ATI is going to clock to 1GHZ which wont happen.

Yep, it all adds up to I'm right. And I dont think anybody doesn't realize ATI will lead in performance next time around most likely.

And for anybody pointing to that B3D thread, you basically get four confirmations on the first page that it's 48 full pipes.

So I dont know what's up with linking that.

jesus, everyone just take a breath. seriously, do you really need to turn this into an argument? its got 48 of SOMETHING, lets just leave it at that. shader pipes, physical pipes, whatever.

also, i dont think nvidia's releasing a faster card when ATI releases the r580, they're releasing the lower end g70 cards. so that 750mhz card would b vs the r600.

Chilly said:
Did anyone else pay attention to the article other than me, $1000 PER CARD OMFG, I'm serous nVidia and ATi are gonna price themselfs out of the market, the day I have to spend 100$ on 1 Videocard, not even 1000$ for an sli/cf set up, no $1000 for 1 stinking card, is the day I kill both ceo's and hold people hostage!

Chilly

P.S. Just incase anyone missed the sarcasm, no I'm NOT gonna go kill people or hold people hostage, but I will boycott

meh I saw a GeForce 2 MX Prophet in comp usa for 399.99 several years ago, I'm sure prices go down fast when no 1 buys them.

I'm at least half right, and that's being conservative. I'd say I'm more like 80% right. Based on that INQ report.

Actually the more I read it, I'm right.

Video card prices as high as $1000? This is getting fucking ridiculous :mad:

Can I go ahead and get some apologies from Robberbaron, Tornado Tsunami. etc? :)

Sharky974 said:
Can I go ahead and get some apologies from Robberbaron, Tornado Tsunami. etc? :)

Read this line out for me please:
" 16 pipelines and 48 pixel shader units"

A shader unit is not a pipe(line)

Terra - No cookie for you this time...

Pipelines as defined by what G70 has 24 of, according to the same article. That is, pixel pipelines.

Since people call G70 24 pipelines, I win.

You can think of a GPU as having inputs (TMU's), outputs (ROP's) and a processing middle (Pixel Pipes).

However, G70 has 16 TMU's, 24 shader units (pixel pipes) amd 16 ROPS.

Now, is G70 called a 16 or a 24 pipe card? 24 because of the 24 shader units.

Sharky974 said:

I'll only apologise when the card is actually out sporting everything you said, until then you're just using assuming and you should never assume, it makes an ass out of you and me

To simplify this topic.

ATI will release a new video card.
ATI's next gen card will be faster than it's current gen.
ATI's next gen card will be faster than current gen Nvidia.

Shortly afterwards..

Nvidia will release a new video card;
Nvidia's next gen card will be faster than it's current gen.
Nvidia's next gen card will be faster than next gen ATI.

Repeat forever or until one of those two companies dies.

:)

thylantyr said:
Repeat forever or until one of those two companies dies.

:)
Not bloody likely. If there was only one, we would all be screwed. No competition= no competitive prices! :eek:

Sharky974 said:
Pipelines as defined by what G70 has 24 of, according to the same article. That is, pixel pipelines.
That's the beauty of being so vague and using highly ambiguous terms like 'pipeline' and shader 'somethings', you can make what you say match any truth.

You're now saying that a pixel pipeline is the same thing as a shader unit (aka. pixel processor, fragment shader, shader pipeline)? That's wrong, R580 has 16 pixel pipelines and 3 shader units for each of those pixel pipelines for a total of 48 shaders. Have a look at this page and check the picture at the bottom of the page. It shows the structure of RV530's pixel pipelines (which are the same for R580) with 3 shader units per pixel pipeline, the picture above that shows how it differs from R520's pixel pipelines (which have only a single shader per pixel pipe). This is what the big brains at B3D are in agreement on and so is the Inquirer article. Who cares if some people call G70 a 24-shader card when it's really a 24-shader card? They're wrong, you're wrong, get over it.

coz said:
Who cares if some people call G70 a 24-shader card when it's really a 24-shader card?
er... think you meant pipelines w/ the second 24 :p

and seriously, who cares if its 48 physical pipes or not. either way its gonna kick some serious ass. (or i'll b crying in the corner)

coz said:
That's the beauty of being so vague and using highly ambiguous terms like 'pipeline' and shader 'somethings', you can make what you say match any truth.

You're now saying that a pixel pipeline is the same thing as a shader unit (aka. pixel processor, fragment shader, shader pipeline)? That's wrong, R580 has 16 pixel pipelines and 3 shader units for each of those pixel pipelines for a total of 48 shaders. Have a look at this page and check the picture at the bottom of the page. It shows the structure of RV530's pixel pipelines (which are the same for R580) with 3 shader units per pixel pipeline, the picture above that shows how it differs from R520's pixel pipelines (which have only a single shader per pixel pipe). This is what the big brains at B3D are in agreement on and so is the Inquirer article. Who cares if some people call G70 a 24-shader card when it's really a 24-shader card? They're wrong, you're wrong, get over it.

What? No no no!

R520 has the same pixel pipe structure as every other ATI card! And the same one R580 has! Which is to say, TWO ALUS MAKE A PIXEL PIPELINE.

That diagram is only showing you the pixel pipes share TMU's.

See the blocks with the "vector ALU1" and vector ALU 2 on them? Those are pixel pipes!

Some people are trying to claim R580 will only have one ALU per pipe, however that's clearly not the case.

What do you think a Nvidia pixel pipe looks like? It looks like two ALU's!

Sharky974 said:
What? No no no!

R520 has the same pixel pipe structure as every other ATI card! And the same one R580 has! Which is to say, TWO ALUS MAKE A PIXEL PIPELINE.

That diagram is only showing you the pixel pipes share TMU's.

See the blocks with the "vector ALU1" and vector ALU 2 on them? Those are pixel pipes!

Some people are trying to claim R580 will only have one ALU per pipe, however that's clearly not the case.

What do you think a Nvidia pixel pipe looks like? It looks like two ALU's!

You see that litte arrows pointing to the blocks, those are pixel pipes too!

Back