Rumor: BioWare “Prototyping” Knights of the Old Republic Reboot

Honestly, BioWare needs to remake KOTOR and take the story in a new direction. For those of you who don't know, Revan's story was concluded fully in Star Wars the Old Republic. It didn't go in a direction that hardly anyone really liked. It discounted any choices you could have made in the game. Long story short, Revan ended up being a crazed, vengeful genocidal madman and the Exile ended up getting stabbed in the back and turning into a force ghost.

KOTOR was awesome in its day. As I said, it hasn't aged well. The entire Mass Effect series is excellent aside from a few issues. Gameplay wise, ME3 is much better than 1 or 2. Story and the ending are what torpedoed that ship.

I am Playing KOTOR 1, right now (munchie break) for the first time in nearly a decade, and while it isn't perfect it is still great fun.

I am Playing KOTOR 1, right now (munchie break) for the first time in nearly a decade, and while it isn't perfect it is still great fun.

I tried to go back to it a couple of years ago. The game play didn't age very well for me.

It'd be pretty amazing if someday there was a front page thread that isn't filled with idiots crying about SJWs.

Yeah, it's never just terrible design, or a rush job, it's SJW's ruining everything because of SWJ reasons. It's possible for games to just suck without having some kind of crazy conspiracy shit tied to it somehow.

Edit: I recently replayed both kotors and I thought they aged pretty well, actually. The textures weren't awful but the geometry was a little blocky.

I tried to go back to it a couple of years ago. The game play didn't age very well for me.

Try replaying an Infinity engine game(Baldurs Gate), that is steep reversal, but KOTOR is semi-modern at least, and looks ok, has decent voice acting and decent story and good amount of gameplay (~50 hours if you don't rush).

Is there something like this from ~2003 that aged better?

Try replaying an Infinity engine game(Baldurs Gate), that is steep reversal, but KOTOR is semi-modern at least, and looks ok, has decent voice acting and decent story and good amount of gameplay (~50 hours if you don't rush).

Not that I know of. Certainly, not in that genre or style of game.

Call of Duty, Wind Waker, Final Fantasy XI, Vice City, Beyond Good & Evil... All aged just as well, if not better than, Knights of the Old Republic.

I would love to see more sci-fi rpg fare from Bioware (or anyone, assuming I get muh twitch gameplay), provided it gets solid single player. So I'm looking forward to hearing more.

1) Don't be an MMO. 2) Don't be a reboot, be a continuation. 3) Stop it with the SJW, diversity > everything else crap ffs.

While I heartily endorse the sentiment in 3, I think the SJW elements of MEA have been overblown. I can't think of anything in the plot, for example. And believe me, I'm about as anti-SJW as it gets. I'd probably make the average anti-SJW here blush with the stuff I've said.

The ugly chicks are definitely a thing. They definitely look like a women's studies group. But that's about the extent of what I noticed.

But I admit, the ME series are way up there on my favorites list.

I'm with Neo, I think the ending was the only serious problem with ME3. Really, I'm more annoyed by technical stuff, like getting stuck in cover when I don't want to because of button conflation.

And I've really been enjoying MEA, too. The plot's laughable from a hard sci-fi POV, but space opera always is. Once they finish ironing the bugs (they are a real problem and Bioware/EA should be ashamed of releasing it in such an unpolished state), I think they've got a very solid game on their hands.

Lastly, I know this isn't Bioware's problem exactly, but why can't someone remaster the X-wing & Tie fighter games? Maybe expand on them and put in missions from Rebels or Skarif. I would pay cash money for a good Xwing reboot.

People have been saying this for like 15 years. Maybe the new management will listen.

The frustrating part is every now and then, you find some Indy Dev who just starts making a reboot of a game; and the reboot looks awesome and all the fans are excited. And then the cease and desist comes; no company ever goes, "Wow, you're doing our work for us, let's hire you and promote the crap out of this reboot, look at this reception!" I mention this because there are so many new tools that make development much more accessible than in the past and there is all this nostalgic content that could be brought back but such a minority of it ever actually is.

I'd like to see at least one "mod team" get a C&D and tell the senders to fuck off, and make and release their game anyway. An X-Wing/Tie-Fighter remake would be a good place to start, actually. Would seem to be a pretty good candidate just in terms of the amount and type of content needed (limited number of inorganic modeling, much easier than making a bunch of character models, planets, etc).

Bring on Cyberpunk 2077!!!!!

It's not fair to say, because (my idea of) cyberpunk gets even less love than space opera or (gasp!) hard sci-fi space colonization do, but I'd rather CDPR was making either of the latter. Selfish, I know.

Bioware Edmonton is currently at work on a new IP codenamed "Dylan" that's described as a Destiny like game set in a futuristic/post apoc style setting.

That sounds good too.

P.S. I endorse Dan_D's overall assessment of the ME series. And from what little I know of KOTOR, his opinions on that series as well (I tried that one years after it came out, and it felt old. I was expecting old, but it felt really, REALLY old.). Annnd as I keep reading, his opinions on Bethesda games, too.

Everything's better than the synthesis ending. You are not a good person if you pick that. You are essentially a space Nazi.

I'm a space Nazi, and I hated the synthesis ending.

It'd be pretty amazing if someday there was a front page thread that isn't filled with idiots crying about SJWs.

If you hate idiots crying, you hate SJWs.

Getting back to KOTOR, it jumped the shark about as bad as ME3 did and no one ever noticed. The problem is that the story of Revan and the KOTOR universe is split up over so many different games, books etc. that its hard to track it all. Essentially, Revan goes out to find the Emperor, and gets in over his head. He's captured, tortured and kept alive for 300 years. How this is done is glossed over. Then, the Exile (now canon as female) goes in search of Revan. The short version is that the Emperor's Wrath is enlisted to help defeat the Emperor and end him. When they are about to attack him as a group, the Emperor's Wrath betrays Revan, kills the Exile, and the Emperor disintegrates T3 with force lightning. Revan ends up in a cage as the mental plaything of the Emperor. Eventually he's freed by players of the MMO on the Republic side. On the Imperial Side, he's found using the Foundry which is the droid manufacturing equivalent of the Star Forge from the first game to create droids that will commit genocide and kill anyone with Sith ancestry. (The species, not the Sith Order.) Apparently, that's just about everyone in the Emperor's current Empire. Imperial player's stop him and seem to kill him although he disappears and no body is found. He turns up sometime later waging war against both the Republic and the Empire through the "Order of Revan" or "Revanites" as they are known. The purpose of this is ultimately to seek revenge on and defeat the dead Emperor.

Shortly after Revan's disappearance, the Emperor he fought against is beaten by the Jedi Knight, and is left without a body and significantly weakened. (Supposedly, this part gets confusing.) So, evidently, Revan doesn't like this as it's not "dead enough." So his idea is to bring the Emperor back to life in order to kill him in a more permanent way. The player, regardless of faction eventually learns that Revan did die (sort of) and his spirit is split down the middle as light and dark. The player is forced to defeat him. Both halves of Revan re-unite killing him. The conflict allowed the Emperor to feed again. Emperor Vitiate as he's now known, goes on a killing spree and he consumes an entire planet.

Cliffs:
Revan is mindwiped (KOTOR), and becomes a Jedi (again) and saves the galaxy. (Canon ending.)
Revan is captured, becomes a revenge driven, genocidal maniac.
When Revan's genocidal plans are thwarted, he turns to bringing the Emperor back so he can kill him again.
Revan's soul is split and dies being reunified.

What's worse is that the character's descent into madness and the general treatment of it. He's absolutely fucking crazy in his later appearances. He's full of himself, asserting that he's the only one who can defeat the Emperor. Yet he's proven time and time again that's he's not only incapable of doing so, but that his efforts have dire consequences for the galaxy. He's been on the losing end of this battle for 300 years. The Emperor he seeks to defeat, is a force creature the likes of which have no equal in Star Wars lore aside from maybe Palpatine himself and only if you count Palpatine's expanded universe exploits. In the films, he never displays the level of power that Vitiate/Valkorian does.

Vitiate was killed by the Jedi Knight in a solo encounter, but this only destroys the body and weakens him. Somehow, he turns up later and extinguishes all life or almost all life on a planetary scale. He's confirmed to have done this at least twice. Somehow, he also built two entire civilizations from the ground up and ruled them both, although with less focus on one of them. Going by the name of Valkorian, he kills Darth Marr, (a very powerful force user) with a single blast of force lightning. His son fights him, and Valkorian blocks the blade with his hand and force of will. The player then stabs Valkorian through the back and chest, he laughs it off and then posses another body. Even without a body, he's still exceptionally powerful.

Vitiate/Valkorian is almost to the point of being a force of nature rather than a physical being you can just kill. Again, Revan (one of the most powerful force users of his time) for 300 years and spent that time on the losing end of the battle. He thinks he can kill this being on his own. His actions are stupid, and often incongruent with the character in his earlier appearances.

The point is, a sequel to KOTOR is certainly possible but it would be better if they just started over from scratch.

The point is, a sequel to KOTOR is certainly possible but it would be better if they just started over from scratch.

Who says a KOTOR sequel would have to be about Revan? I was just thinking another decent standalone RPG in that universe.

I sure as hell hope they ditch everything from DA:I and ME:A.... That formula just doesn't work very well.

Who says a KOTOR sequel would have to be about Revan? I was just thinking another decent standalone RPG in that universe.

Fair enough, although some of that history could be included or would potentially be in the game. What effect that could have, is unknown. All I'm really saying is that BioWare's creative direction hasn't necessarily been good and wiping the slate clean is probably preferable to a sequel. That's my opinion anyway.

Back