(Rumor) AMD to delay Ryzen 4000 (Zen3) until January 2021 due to Zen2 success

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cynic in me thinks that AMD is floating the Zen 3 delay rumors out there in order to get people to buy current Zen 2 and the upcoming XT CPU's...if people think that Zen 3 is coming in 3 months then they would be less likely to buy now

The good old Osborne Effect...

Halfway through their weekly podcast, Gordon at PCWorld stated that he is sure the rumor about the delay is false and that's all he could say. He made it sound like he got new information from somewhere as he wasn't sure about it at the start of the show. So with rumors rumbling both ways, I'm really not sure we can know what the decision will be at this point as it relates to consumer chips. I would bet, however, that they push out the higher margin Zen 3 Eypc server chips since they mentioned the Q4 date during their financial analyst day whereas they made no promises about the consumer chips. So we will see Zen 3 before end of the year just focused on the more profitable server market.

if true would make business sense, shit load of money just waiting in the server market for them. either way i think intel's hiding in a office praying AMD delays zen 3 consumer cpu's because it's the only way they're going to sell 10th gen cpu's beyond their blind loyalty fanboys with how mediocre it turned out.

Dunno about referencing an April 29th quote as gospel when we're mid-June. Literally nothing is going by schedule this year.
I don't typically read PC World - how is Gordon's reputation in the past on having accurate sources?

Server parts being prioritized first - I can get behind that.

Might save my wallet some pain but damn. I wonder if this means their game performance will remain sub Intel. Probably.

No. If anything, the non-refresh chips will get phased out for the higher priced XT ones.

XT seems to be only for the top chip, like K series for intel chips.

It seems to be only binning. So the XT will sell along the nonX versions, I think

If you were waiting to upgrade to Zen3 this year, it looks like you'll have to wait some more. Zen2 refresh looks like its set to be announced on July 7th. Update: AMD just announced the XT lineup. See AMD Ryzen™ 3000XT Series Processors.

I have the 3900X and have been extremely happy with it since I got it last year.

Source: https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1272426307628892163?s=20
Wait, this is news? I remember saying over 2 months ago these won't be released until early 2021. I thought this was the assumption already that they would announce late this year/early next year and start production early 2021.

Edit:. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...ssors-will-arrive-by-march-2021-at-the-latest

3 months ago they were saying by March 2021.... Not sure why everyone thought they'd release a slightly new architecture in a year or less?

Not a surprise.

I'll get one...about a year from now. I'll move a 3700x where my 2700x is and put a notional 4700x in place of the 3700x. If it's a significant gain, I may repeat the swaps. (But I doubt I'll be able to see the difference in actual use. For my purposes.)

As a few other people have said - you'll probably see Zen3 on EPYC in the fall, followed by consumer in 1H 2021.
That way everybody keeps their word (e.g. Zen3 launches in late 2020, AM4 supported through end of 2020) and the world is happy.

While I don't like the optics of 'Intel style' play AMD is making, here's the difference: I think Zen3 is read-and-on-track for a fall launch (which I think they would have done had Intel delivered on 10nm this year). That being the key difference...AMD is 'ready' to launch, where all Intel was ready with was a 'refresh' for almost 10 years.

Reality is both Intel and AMD are corporations, with the goal of making money. Never forget that.

More like COV19 is doing so well that AMD decided to delay the product release until the economy recovers. IF the economy recovers. Release Zen 3 now and you're going to be selling to an audience who doesn't have disposable income, and you'll have to discount it.

More like COV19 is doing so well that AMD decided to delay the product release until the economy recovers. IF the economy recovers. Release Zen 3 now and you're going to be selling to an audience who doesn't have disposable income, and you'll have to discount it.

Of course, timing is everything. Pretty much all inventory of laptops was hit hard by the quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back