(Rumor) AMD to delay Ryzen 4000 (Zen3) until January 2021 due to Zen2 success

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why they want to delay it...still sucks for those that were looking to upgrade...but in terms of the big picture they might want to wait to see what Rocket Lake-S brings to the market...although being that it's still 14nm Zen 3 most likely would still come out on top

I understand wanting to make some money... as AMD hasn't done that very often. I really hope this doesn't bite them in the ass. AMD has had the lead before and tried to make some money... only to have Intel swing out a fab process. Delaying for some money based on rumors of Intel fab issues seems pretty logical right now. Still if Intel somehow manages to get their fabs up and running properly 6 months ahead of scheduled this delay when they could have STOMPED Intel will seem pretty fucking stupid.

It is funny how if Intel did this you all be ripping into them. AMD does oh it is ok. Very understandable. AMD still the good guys and cares about the consumers.

Compared to Intel, they most certainly do. I have no issues with this, especially considering things are delayed across the board in all tech.

I was going to wait for Zen 3 but if this rumor ends up being true I may just go ahead and pull the trigger on a Zen 2 chip. Maybe once the XT parts are released we'll get some discounts on the current Zen 2 chips.

We already have discounts on the non XT chips. :)

Of course you don't since it is AMD. I hope you remember this when AMD really starts bending you all over when Intel's fails to compete.

As long as Lisa Su is in charge, we have nothing to worry about. She is not as out of touch as others are. Oh, and of course you would say this, since it is AMD. Oh, and AMD's death really was greatly exaggerated.

As long as Lisa Su is in charge, we have nothing to worry about. She is not as out of touch as others are. Oh, and of course you would say this, since it is AMD. Oh, and AMD's death really was greatly exaggerated.
I wouldn't be so sure. I hope they stay the course but I have no faith on corporations. All it takes is investors demanding more profits and Lisa being removed cause she won't do the investors biding.

No. If anything, the non-refresh chips will get phased out for the higher priced XT ones.

Possibly, but I'm guessing the process isn't mature enough yet that they don't need something to do with the lower bins. Otherwise they'd be wasting s shit ton of silicon.

Intel is down but they are far from out...the fact that they can still lead in single core workloads even on 14nm refreshes says that once 10nm chips come out in 2021 AMD might be in trouble...even Rocket Lake-S is said to be a new architecture and the Zen 3 delay might be AMD admitting they are a bit scared

AMD is a corporation like any other, looking to maximize shareholder returns. They are not your friend.
No ..I'm pretty sure AMD is my friend .. they knew I wouldn't be able to afford the new Zen sooo .. they are going to wait for me. Thanks AMD! :smug:

Welp. This is kinda terrible news for me. I sold a 2070S and a 9900k thinking I'd do Zen 3 and a next gen video card in September in time for Cyberpunk. Now I'm at a loss as to what to do. (9900k-->9400f-->3600-->????)

Welp. This is kinda terrible news for me. I sold a 2070S and a 9900k thinking I'd do Zen 3 and a next gen video card in September in time for Cyberpunk. Now I'm at a loss as to what to do. (9900k-->9400f-->3600-->????)
3700x w/x570 mobo and your golden .. you are on your own for the video card though

Why does no one mention the fabric clock increase rumored for the XT chips? Not at all interested? I'm sure as hell gonna see what that offers with the zen refresh chips. Perhaps something was discovered in the process that could enhance the entire product line moving forward.

ehhh considering they were telling shareholders a few weeks ago that Zen3 was going to be launched this year I'd wait a bit to hear something official.
This. There are rumours, then there are shareholder statements. One of them is legally binding, the other makes clickbait $. I know which one I will trust.
Edit: come to think of it the Zen3 release will likely be Milan (already pushed back from earlier maps it seems) and desktop AM4 maybe Q1 or some halo part Q4'20, who knows...

3300x hold you over till Zen2+ or Zen3,..

Last edited:
Why does no one mention the fabric clock increase rumored for the XT chips? Not at all interested? I'm sure as hell gonna see what that offers with the zen refresh chips. Perhaps something was discovered in the process that could enhance the entire product line moving forward.

Because there's almost no improvement upgrading from DDR 4 3200/1600 up to 3600/1800 for a 3700x.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15089/the-corsair-ddr4-5000-vengeance-lpx-memory-review/3

The increase in core clock speed is going to nave a much larger performance improvement than allowing for DDR4 4000. Even driving the 3950X would have shown less than 5% performance improvement jumping from 3200 to 3600 (on the same bus ratyios.), and the jump from 3600 to 4000 will be even more minuscule.

I've not been up to speed, but could this be motivated in part to avoid troubles with the whole "socket support through 2020" thing? (lawsuits, class-actions, etc)

doubtful.. i think some of it has to do with OEM's, some to do with supply, and a whole lot to do with intel proving they have nothing in the pipeline for a few more years.

will it still be AM4 in 2021?
I would be surprised if it wasn’t. They originally planned Zen 3 for AM4 in late 2020. Changing the socket this late in its development cycle is very unlikely.

3700x w/x570 mobo and your golden .. you are on your own for the video card though

I mean I'll be fine with my current 3600/x570 for now but was really hoping to go all out with top end parts for CP2077 in Q4 (September-October) to get the maximum experience. Might just have to be patient to play the game and wait until Q1 2021 for Zen 3. That said, I guess I'll have a chance to see if the game actually lives up to the hype before going all out... so thanks AMD for the delay I guess?

This is great news!

I may actually have time to build a system with the BNIB 3950X I have sitting on a shelf and get some use out of it before the 4000 series is released.

I think the hidden gem there is confirmation of StoreMi 2.0.

AMD's got some RAM drive nerds going all the way back. Anyone else here ever use Radeon RAMDisk? I still do on one of my laptops.

I am pretty disappointed in this move by AMD if it is true.
Why? Makes absolute business sense. And they are not decreasing the value by increasing the price massively while ahead (I’m looking at you nvidia and Intel). I’m good with it.

Halfway through their weekly podcast, Gordon at PCWorld stated that he is sure the rumor about the delay is false and that's all he could say. He made it sound like he got new information from somewhere as he wasn't sure about it at the start of the show. So with rumors rumbling both ways, I'm really not sure we can know what the decision will be at this point as it relates to consumer chips. I would bet, however, that they push out the higher margin Zen 3 Eypc server chips since they mentioned the Q4 date during their financial analyst day whereas they made no promises about the consumer chips. So we will see Zen 3 before end of the year just focused on the more profitable server market.

Halfway through their weekly podcast, Gordon at PCWorld stated that he is sure the rumor about the delay is false and that's all he could say. He made it sound like he got new information from somewhere as he wasn't sure about it at the start of the show. So with rumors rumbling both ways, I'm really not sure we can know what the decision will be at this point as it relates to consumer chips. I would bet, however, that they push out the higher margin Zen 3 Eypc server chips since they mentioned the Q4 date during their financial analyst day whereas they made no promises about the consumer chips. So we will see Zen 3 before end of the year just focused on the more profitable server market.

Spin baby, spin.

Update: Delay is now out to 2025 in order to be timed with Intel's AMD killer 14nm Skylake refresh.

the cynic in me thinks that AMD is floating the Zen 3 delay rumors out there in order to get people to buy current Zen 2 and the upcoming XT CPU's...if people think that Zen 3 is coming in 3 months then they would be less likely to buy now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back