Rumor: 8 Core Intel NUCs and Intel "Compute Modules" are Coming

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to a thread posted on the Chinese forum pceva.com.cn, Intel is allegedly preparing to launch an 8 Core "Ghost Canyon" NUC. The slides suggest that Intel is abandoning the AMD hybrid design on the high end, and has instead chosen to include a PCIe x16 slot that could possibly house an MXM GPU. Meanwhile, Intel is also supposedly preparing tiny 95mm x 55mm x 5mm "compute cards" that can be slid into compatible devices. The slides show features such as 15W 4C processors, LPDDR3, and integrated wifi and storage, as well as a few different chassis the cards can be slid into. Obviously, this all has to be taken with a grain of salt, but we should see if the leak pans out in 2019. Thanks to Videocardz for spotting the post.

As can be seen from the road map, the NUC mini computer with the 9th generation Core processor will be available before the end of 2019, 8 core 16 thread processor, TDP thermal design power consumption 45 watts.

Meanwhile, AMD will have launched their new Ryzen APUs, and someone like Zotac will market a SFF PC that will eat this thing's lunch.

The longer that bean counter at Intel is in charge, the farther behind they will slip. This product is going to be late to market, just like everything else has been doing lately.

Intel could do a modular compute / 8 core nuc system, I'd seriously consider purchasing something like this, but all the images on that link look bogus. Photoshop hackjobs from chinese source - they're just trying to dress up a rumor with fake images and details to get views.

The cost has to be through the roof for an 8 core custom chip with MXM graphics. Unless the form factor is an absolute necessity, you can get a pretty small ITX system that would be comparable for half the cost.

The cost has to be through the roof for an 8 core custom chip with MXM graphics. Unless the form factor is an absolute necessity, you can get a pretty small ITX system that would be comparable for half the cost.

The thing that sucks, is MXM is the problem. Asrock has an STX platform that is very affordable and powerful... I wish manufacturers would release MXM cards (amd would be affordable.)

The thing that sucks, is MXM is the problem. Asrock has an STX platform that is very affordable and powerful... I wish manufacturers would release MXM cards (amd would be affordable.)

I've seen that, and it looks like a nice setup. Once again MXM kills the deal though as they are so expensive (if I'm thinking of the same ASRock platform you are thinking of).

Wow what a great product (4 years ago!). If this have been available 4 years ago, I would probably own one. But now, as was previously stated, if I want a small footprint computer, I will wait until there is an AMD solution.

A few weeks ago we're getting articles that Intel is short-supplying the consumer CPU segment in favor of higher-margin server chips because they can't make enough chips with the 10nm fail. Now the rumor is they're releasing new products that need access to the exact same CPUs that they aren't going to supply?

Seems legit.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

According to Intel that's a 14nm chip.

https://ark.intel.com/products/135935/Intel-Core-i5-8259U-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-80-GHz-

I know they're shipping *some* 10nm, like that one goofy i3, but they've definitely failed in meeting their volume shipping targets (multiple times). There's been a bunch of articles about how this has caused issues in meeting CPU demands; I'm not sure why they're pushing new products when they have issues meeting current supply needs. I guess if nothing else it will be better for margins to sell an i9 NUC instead of a lower CPU, but that assumes that a customer buying a low-level product would spring for the i9 one or that customers who want the power of an i9 will be happy with the tradeoffs involved in the NUC form-factor. I find both of these prospects doubtful, though I'm also sure that they'll be at least a few exceptions.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I honestly can’t remember when I upgraded the MXM GPU in a laptop. Keep thinking it was along the lines of expense, the new MXM GPU was nearly 2x the cost of a new laptop with the newer GPU installed.

Like most nucs I think they are nice, but I prob won’t buy one. Unless they bring back the dual nic i3/i5 variant for a new pfsense build.

I hope it happens at 7nm.

From what I have been seeing, the boosts to the CPU are going to be in the range of 10-15% going to 7nm...which alone SHOULD be enough to match or beat Intel at 14nm...BUT, the REALLY exciting stuff is how Navi will integrate with Ryzen on the APU side! And we already know Navi will smoke Intel's graphics tech...

Meanwhile, AMD will have launched their new Ryzen APUs, and someone like Zotac will market a SFF PC that will eat this thing's lunch.

For a desktop-focused mini-PC I think these should be great, however, I looked at them for micro-server usage and ran into a few issues that might affect a Zotac + AMD combination: AMD's APUs specifically do not support ECC where all of their other Ryzen parts do, pending motherboard support, and Zotac likes to use Realtek ethernet controllers in everything as opposed to Intel controllers, which can hamper BSD support and stability.

[which means that you'd really be looking at a C246-based system not from Zotac and running say an i3-8100 with ECC DDR4]

Oh dear Jesus, please not another add-in card standard. PCMCIA, ExpressCard, all the different names for them like PC Card and CardBus, sweet weeping Moses I hated supporting laptops.

Oh dear Jesus, please not another add-in card standard. PCMCIA, ExpressCard, all the different names for them like PC Card and CardBus, sweet weeping Moses I hated supporting laptops.

You're a bit late- it's already a standard :)

Lol at the 'muh intel shipping 10nm i3s that suck harder than what they are replacing' crew.

I'd be far more interested in the ML/compute slot. That will change things by offering flexibility

For a desktop-focused mini-PC I think these should be great, however, I looked at them for micro-server usage and ran into a few issues that might affect a Zotac + AMD combination: AMD's APUs specifically do not support ECC where all of their other Ryzen parts do, pending motherboard support, and Zotac likes to use Realtek ethernet controllers in everything as opposed to Intel controllers, which can hamper BSD support and stability.

[which means that you'd really be looking at a C246-based system not from Zotac and running say an i3-8100 with ECC DDR4]
You keep saying AMD doesn't support ECC, first it was Zen vanilla now APUs, this is the second time you have been told all Zen does support ECC. It's a motherboard issue for the APU support as we discussed for Zen vanilla.
Zen Pro APU is listed as supporting ECC..

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-wednesday-may-9.2545291/page-3#post-39418197

Some gigabyte boards support it officially too.
<div class="reddit-embed" data-embed-media="www.redditmedia.com" data-embed-parent="false" data-embed-live="false" data-embed-uuid="025b1135-8e44-4b12-869b-01f133ccb2e4" data-embed-created="2018-12-07T08:27:22.711Z"><a href="">Comment</a> from discussion <a href="">Is anyone using ECC ram with their Ryzen 2400G? Asrock motherboard?</a>.</div><script async src="https://www.redditstatic.com/comment-embed.js"></script>

So stop griping about ECC lol, it works you just have to chose a motherboard supplier that enables it in BIOS. All Zen cores can do it.

So stop griping about ECC lol,

You cannot buy Ryzen Pro APUs. If Zotac etc. ships systems with them while also enabling ECC support, then cool. But you or I cannot go to Newegg and grab one.

And both the limitation of Ryzen APUs to not support ECC and the limitation of Ryzen Pro APUs to OEMs are choices that AMD made.

Holy crap, Intel is labeling 14nm and 10nm chips with 8th gen model numbers.

i3-8121U = 10nm

i5-8259U = 14nm

WTH!?!?

Back