Rumor: 3080Ti with 12Gb Vram to launch in April

Can they just slap more memory chips on a 3080 PCB? I would think they have to design and fab the chips with the wider bus.

Miners are really going to love the increased bandwidth if this rumor is true.

The 3080 PCB has two spots free for additional RAM chips so assuming they use a cut-down 3090 die it shouldn't be too much work I image. I'm not an EE though so who knows.

This is a picture of the FE PCB but all of the AIB boards had the same spots free:

front.jpg

They don't care, trust me. They are buying regardless as long as the btc prices stay up where they are.
Exactly, until the bubble crashes I think anyone looking to upgrade their GPU is in this for the long haul.

The 3080 PCB has two spots free for additional RAM chips so assuming they use a cut-down 3090 die it shouldn't be too much work I image. I'm not an EE though so who knows.
Near as I know all 3080s are cut down 3090 dies. They are basically just the ones that had defects so they had to disable a SM cluster, but not so many defects they had to toss out the chip.

I didn't even see a 20 GB version as being worthwhile...12 GB even less so.

A 12Gb card makes more sense than the 20Gb ever did, so as far as rumors go this one feels more credible to me, why I posted it.

It also makes more sense if it comes in at $999 since that is more price differentiated from the 3090.

A 12Gb card makes more sense than the 20Gb ever did, so as far as rumors go this one feels more credible to me, why I posted it.

It also makes more sense if it comes in at $999 since that is more price differentiated from the 3090.
Agreed. The ultra priced memory for no added gaming performance was just stupid. Give it the bigger bus and less RAM and you have a FAR SMARTER card. Who wanted 20GB on a castrated 3090?

I imagine this is happening because Micron is having delays on the 2GB GDDR6X chips. They will call this a good-enough compromise, while they make even more bank eventually using these 2gb chips on the 3090 in may /June time-frames (then they can retire the old PCB, and only make one for 3080 + 3080 Ti plus 3090.

I would guesstyimate performance to be like a 1070 Ti - basically making the 3090 model pointless except if you need the double vram.

Considering that Nvidia really hasn't sold the a6000 to consumers, you are likely correct.

That said, I'd take either, the 12 gb or the 20 gb models of the rtx 3080ti. :ROFLMAO:

I too was hoping NVidia would stick to their past antics, but their silence thus far likely says there is little profitability in creating another unicorn SKU in between two parts that are 10% apart. I hope your hopes fare better.

Back