Rumor: 3080Ti with 12Gb Vram to launch in April

GoodBoy

2[H]4U
NVIDIA has allegedly changed the specifications for its upcoming high-end RTX 3080 Ti graphics card once again. We were actually in a process of confirming the specs that we received, when @kopite7kimi, the person who leaked GA100/GA102 specs months ahead of launch, has now shared exactly what we have been hearing.

The most recent update to the NVIDIA product roadmap lists GeForce RTX 3080 Ti with 12GB coming in April.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-with-12gb-memory-to-launch-in-april

Well at least the difference is much greater than what was previously rumored with 20G of ram... Makes my RTX3090 purchase a little easier to swallow knowing there is now a bigger(rumored of course) disparity between the two products lines..

Heh, Now I don't even want one even if it was knocking on my door begging me to buy it at MSRP.

12GB?...what happened to 20GB?...I bought my EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra on January 27th so hopefully it comes out in time for me to qualify for the Step Up

I wouldn't put any stock into rumor tweets. The same guy swore "20GB 3080Ti in january, u gais. itz gonna be LIT". Rumor/fabrication/tweet propagated by lame tech sites seems to have become its own industry now.

That said, I can't wait for 3080Ti in April !!!!!!

Last edited:
I’m not so sure about this 12 seems like an odd increase given the architecture. Yes the PCB has 2 extra memory slots that are empty so they could just enable them in the controller but that solution reminds me very much of the GTX 970 solution and their “extra” memory.

I’m not so sure about this 12 seems like an odd increase given the architecture. Yes the PCB has 2 extra memory slots that are empty so they could just enable them in the controller but that solution reminds me very much of the GTX 970 solution and their “extra” memory.
12GB makes sense if they use the full 384-bit bus like the 3090. Evenly split it up into 12x 1GB chips, no 970-style malarkey needed.

12GB makes sense if they use the full 384-bit bus like the 3090. Evenly split it up into 12x 1GB chips, no 970-style malarkey needed.
If they do as the article suggests perhaps, there is a good price gap between the 3080 and the 3090 for the TI to live in, but the performance gap between those two cards is small. Either way come April/May we’ll see what they give us.

I think Nvidia might as well worry about the 4k series. With the miners snatching up stock and even the laptops....whats the point?

I'm guessing this will be the most plentiful model then. $300 more than 3080 for 2GB of more RAM should make the 3080 Ti the highest margin sku by a mile, even more than the 3090. Nvidia will certainly have a lot of motivation to cut more of the dies for the Ti SKU than the base model.

I'm guessing this will be the most plentiful model then. $300 more than 3080 for 2GB of more RAM should make the 3080 Ti the highest margin sku by a mile, even more than the 3090. Nvidia will certainly have a lot of motivation to cut more of the dies for the Ti SKU than the base model.

I imagine this is happening because Micron is having delays on the 2GB GDDR6X chips. They will call this a good-enough compromise, while they make even more bank eventually using these 2gb chips on the 3090 in may /June time-frames (then they can retire the old PCB, and only make one for 3080 + 3080 Ti plus 3090.

I would guesstyimate performance to be like a 1070 Ti - basically making the 3090 model pointless except if you need the double vram.

Last edited:
32928185-14177308619745255-Mitch-Nolen.jpg

What's the point, just focus on producing enough quantity of 3080s and 3090s...

12GB?...what happened to 20GB?...I bought my EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra on January 27th so hopefully it comes out in time for me to qualify for the Step Up

Good luck with that. The rate they are going with "step ups" you might get a card at full retail price just before the next gen launches. Supposedly the "step up" queue to 3080s which is different than the notify queue hasn't moved off of Day 1 step ups.

Good luck with that. The rate they are going with "step ups" you might get a card at full retail price just before the next gen launches. Supposedly the "step up" queue to 3080s which is different than the notify queue hasn't moved off of Day 1 step ups.

how does EVGA even allocate which 3080 cards go to retail versus Step Up versus Notify Queue...

If given the choice, I would take the ti with 12gb of ram for like $1109. Figure $999 msrp and aib's adding another $100 on it for mid-level models. I never believed they abandoned the ti completely.

how does EVGA even allocate which 3080 cards go to retail versus Step Up versus Notify Queue...

No idea. Sounds like the priority is retail then notify then step up. At least the notify queue moves now and then. The step up queue hasn't moved at all. I'm thinking they won't actually have step up inventory until you can go out and buy one yourself (maybe next year?).

class action lawsuit incoming :D ...false advertising of a Step Up card when none exists

In fairness, they are the only manufacturer that does this. For everyone else, you are stuck with what you bought. Class action will just mean that this feature will go away.

Honestly, I'm thinking that by the time cards get stepped up with regularity, it will be a year and a half into the product cycle....So H1'22?

Can they just slap more memory chips on a 3080 PCB? I would think they have to design and fab the chips with the wider bus.

Miners are really going to love the increased bandwidth if this rumor is true.

I believe I'm done with getting upgrades for anything for the foreseeable future.

Can they just slap more memory chips on a 3080 PCB? I would think they have to design and fab the chips with the wider bus.

Miners are really going to love the increased bandwidth if this rumor is true.
They don't care, trust me. They are buying regardless as long as the btc prices stay up where they are.

Back