Ruckus wireless mesh network?

interesting gear, curious as well, what is pricing like?

i have always wanted to try pepwave gear

Looks like interesting gear. Can use a wireless backhaul instead of ethernet based (although I'm pretty sure it can use either).

Pricing is 1k or so for controller and 800 per AP.

I've got about 100 of them on a college campus, they're excellent, easy to use, and don't have a load of blinking lights and antennas coming out of them.

I just installed a Ruckus ZoneDirector 1006 and 2 7962 AP's (1 in each office location). One of our locations is 7,500 sq foot retail/office space and 7,500 sq foot warehouse in the back. I ordered two 7962's for this location alone and it ended up that just 1 covers the entire space and about 200 ft outside of the building! Management is really simple, not all of the bells and whistles of Cisco/Aruba but they do have mapping capabilities built into the ZoneDirector as well as hotspot/login capabilities. More than enough features for what we were looking for and the price was great.

Really??
I was looking at 6 AP's to cover a 2 story building, but if 2 can handle it, that would be great!

Almost all of the APs I've got connected are connected wired -- partly because it's easier for me to get a network cable run to somewhere than a power outlet. I've found the coverage to be great -- we planned on 3/floor in a new dorm building but ended up not needing nearly that many. If possible, check out coverage with 2 and then add another one or two as needed. I'd also try to not have more than 25-30 people per AP at once if possible.

See, thats going to be a issue. I will need 6~ AP's with 30 people each. (12 classrooms) Oh well, I have a call in this week with their sales department. How is their support and sales if you have dealt with them?

I was looking at Aruba pretty hard for some time, very nice setup, easy to use.

My main issue right now is I will have 20-25 users per 7 classrooms. + Faculty + Staff.
Right around what the fellow above posted is the max per AP with good signal/transfer speed.

The Zone director supports 6 AP's and starting out, that will be fine, but when all 12 classrooms are full with 300 students + 50 faculty, I will need to double the starting number of AP's to not have a slow network... Not ideal. I would rather put in 6~ ap's that can handle 50 connections each. This is going to be used for live streaming video, audio, presentations, coursework, research/books. For the first 2 years, it looks to be fine, but after that, it looks like everything will have to be upgraded.

I will do more research and see what AP's other schools are running. :)
Worse comes to worse, big stack of WRT54GL's LOL.

Ruckus claims 100 active data connections on the 7942. If that was possible, I would need 4 max for the entire school, with 2 more available, if needed.

Last edited:
I have no idea if the they will be in your price range, but definetly consider Meru Networks as well.

http://www.merunetworks.com/

We are deploying a 100 ap setup at my work and it has truly been a dream. No channel planning, auto load balancing, seamless 0ms ap handoffs. It's an amazing system.

Back