Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
Quoted from Guru3d

"Nvidia releases Titan RTX with 72 RT cores and 24 GB GDDR6 at $2,499
kstar-gif.gif
kstar-gif.gif
kstar-gif.gif
kstar-gif.gif

by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 12/03/2018 02:18 PM | source: | 21 comment(s)
12978-png.png

Nvidia today announces the Titan RTX; the new top model in the Turing generation. According to Nvidia this puppy offers 130 teraflops of deep learning computing power and 11 gigaray of raytracing.

The press release mentions 576 tensor cores and 72 raytracing cores, slightly more than the RTX 2080 Ti with it's 544 and 68 values respectively. The video memory has doubled to 24 GB gddr6, for a total bandwidth of 672 GB/sThe unit will be based on the TU102 GPU. Two Titan RTX GPUs can be used together due to the presence of a 100 GB/s NVLink connection. The cards have three displayport connections, a single HDMI port and VirtualLink.

index-png.png

The TITAN RTX is very much focused on deep learning developers and AI researchers who work with larger neural networks and data sets, so for gamers, the RTX 2080 Ti is still the premier card.

MONTREAL—Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems—Dec. 3, 2018—NVIDIA today introduced NVIDIA® TITAN RTX™, the world’s most powerful desktop GPU, providing massive performance for AI research, data science and creative applications.

Driven by the new NVIDIA Turing™ architecture, TITAN RTX — dubbed T-Rex — delivers 130 teraflops of deep learning performance and 11 GigaRays of ray-tracing performance.

“Turing is NVIDIA’s biggest advance in a decade – fusing shaders, ray tracing, and deep learning to reinvent the GPU,” said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. “The introduction of T-Rex puts Turing within reach of millions of the most demanding PC users — developers, scientists and content creators.”

Ultimate PC GPU

NVIDIA’s greatest leap since the invention of the CUDA® GPU in 2006 and the result of more than 10,000 engineering-years of effort, Turing features new RT Cores to accelerate ray tracing, plus new multi-precision Tensor Cores for AI training and inferencing. These two engines — along with more powerful compute and enhanced rasterization — enable capabilities that will transform the work of millions of developers, designers and artists across multiple industries.

Designed for a variety of computationally demanding applications, TITAN RTX provides an unbeatable combination of AI, real-time ray-traced graphics, next-gen virtual reality and high performance computing. It delivers:

• 576 multi-precision Turing Tensor Cores, providing up to 130 teraflops of deep learning performance.
  • 72 Turing RT Cores, delivering up to 11 GigaRays per second of real-time ray-tracing performance.
  • 24GB of high-speed GDDR6 memory with 672GB/s of bandwidth — 2x the memory of previous-generation TITAN GPUs — to fit larger models and datasets.
  • 100GB/s NVIDIA NVLink® can pair two TITAN RTX GPUs to scale memory and compute.
  • Incredible performance and memory bandwidth for real-time 8K video editing.
  • VirtualLink™ port provides the performance and connectivity required by next-gen VR headsets.
Built for AI Researchers and Deep Learning Developers

TITAN RTX transforms the PC into a supercomputer for AI researchers and developers. TITAN RTX provides multi-precision Turing Tensor Cores for breakthrough performance from FP32, FP16, INT8 and INT4, allowing faster training and inference of neural networks. It offers twice the memory capacity of previous generation TITAN GPUs, along with NVLink to allow researchers to experiment with larger neural networks and data sets.

Perfect for Data Scientists

A powerful tool for data scientists, TITAN RTX accelerates data analytics with NVIDIA RAPIDS™. RAPIDS open-source libraries integrate seamlessly with the world’s most popular data science workflows to speed up machine learning.

Content Creators Create Their Best Work

TITAN RTX brings the power of real-time ray tracing and AI to creative applications, so 5 million PC-based creators can iterate faster. It also delivers the computational horsepower and memory bandwidth needed for real-time 8K video editing.

Available This Month

TITAN RTX will be available later this month in the U.S. and Europe for $2,499."

will say what said in another thread, if someone doens't need for heavy FP64 applications, then it's an absolutely bargain and steal for the pro market at just a fraction of the cost of PRO cards, worth to remember this card as the Titan V are not oriented and aimed for the gaming market but for the PRO and prosumer market.

will say what said in another thread, if someone doens't need for heavy FP64 applications, then it's an absolutely bargain and steal for the pro market at just a fraction of the cost of PRO cards, worth to remember this card as the Titan V are not oriented and aimed for the gaming market but for the PRO and prosumer market.

For FP64, wouldn't ECC RAM make it even more useful?
Just seems like a lot of money for the wrong specs. A 2080Ti is just fine for a prosumer.

For $2500 I really wish they would start shipping these with watercooler blocks or at least let you buy a bare board. The cooler is already marginal on the 2080Ti...
I thought that Galax had done this with their HOF LN2 boards in the past, but apparently they still came with an air cooler.

There has to be a market out there for at least an AIB with gaming cards to have a viable scenario for selling cards without coolers. It's always such a pain in the ass to remove them when you're going to be installing a full cover block or AIO, anyway.

At that crazy price, it'll just serve to keep 2080ti prices high, and may end up killing sales there as a result. Stupid move imho; just not special enough over a 2080ti to justify the markup.

I predict this'll be the weakest selling Titan since the Z.

At that crazy price, it'll just serve to keep 2080ti prices high, and may end up killing sales there as a result. Stupid move imho; just not special enough over a 2080ti to justify the markup.

I predict this'll be the weakest selling Titan since the Z.

Lots of good points here. Most aren't touching the 2080/2080ti due to price. Most are getting 1080Ti's or 1080s for near the performance with much less price. Even when they deplete their inventory of 10 series cards, this card and its price does little to lower the price of the 2080 series. This whole RTX series is one Huge Meh

Come On AMD!!! Bring us something worth a shit on the high end. We gamers are sick of getting Wallet Raped by Nvidia and are more ready than ever to support your effort.

I read the specs and saw the price. It has a barely any more tensor cores and ray-tracing cores, but double the memory of the 2080ti.
Why is the price double? The memory or am I missing something?

I thought that Galax had done this with their HOF LN2 boards in the past, but apparently they still came with an air cooler.

There has to be a market out there for at least an AIB with gaming cards to have a viable scenario for selling cards without coolers. It's always such a pain in the ass to remove them when you're going to be installing a full cover block or AIO, anyway.

possibly but then again you could consider it shipping protection. but yeah i'm surprised evga or maybe asus doesn't do it at least as a special order from their own stores or something.

There's a "Glorious CEO" version coming out. It includes a side slot dispenser making the card 3 slots wide. You basically fill the dispenser with USD $100 bills (will hold 20) and at the press of a button they will eject rapidly in succession... but not just eject, they will eject pre-lit on fire using the Titan's CRISPR technology. Imagine, CEO glowing signature, ejecting hundreds of blazing Franklins. It's the best card yet.

Does it run Crysis? Who cares!!

Do people really think that a company with virtually no competition in a market segment will sell their products for less? Do they not think that a billion dollar corporation spends money studying the market and how they should price thier products? Every price that companies like nVidia set are backed with empirical evidence. Just because you don't like it, does not make it a bad decision for the company.

Come On AMD!!! Bring us something worth a shit on the high end. We gamers are sick of getting Wallet Raped by Nvidia and are more ready than ever to support your effort.
I second this notion. AMD seriously need to step the fuck up. Also, their stock has been pretty shitty as of late, WTF!? With all the Threadripper hoopla and 7nm hype, why can't they finally get their shit together on the stock market! GRRRRR

Although it is true that the gaming cards are overpriced, I do not think you would see much movement with cards like the Titan series unless AMD has serious competition on that front that is also cheaper. Considering the Titan cards are now considered more for professional applications I would fully expect AMD to start charging the same prices if they had something with similar features, after all the costs of these will come mostly from corporate or government sources so who cares about the price (I didn't when I bought the Quadro RTX 6000 for my lab, time is more valuable than money here usually). They already did that somewhat with the semi-professional targeting of the Vega FE cards, which were over $1000 for the 16GB version.

I read the specs and saw the price. It has a barely any more tensor cores and ray-tracing cores, but double the memory of the 2080ti.

If you look at the Quadro RTX 6000, you'll see that the specs are identical. I think the main difference between the cards are that the Quadros come with drivers certified for professional applications such as AutoCAD and Bentley Microstation. I suppose you could argue that the price differences between the Quadro RTX 6000, the Titan RTX and the GeForce RTX 2080Ti are a function of driver support and market segmentation. It just shows the kind of markup NVIDIA can put on hardware though.

As I've said over at OCN, I think it's now time to let go of Titan as a gaming brand. Those days are over.

If you look at the Quadro RTX 6000, you'll see that the specs are identical. I think the main difference between the cards are that the Quadros come with drivers certified for professional applications such as AutoCAD and Bentley Microstation. I suppose you could argue that the price differences between the Quadro RTX 6000, the Titan RTX and the GeForce RTX 2080Ti are a function of driver support and market segmentation. It just shows the kind of markup NVIDIA can put on hardware though.

As I've said over at OCN, I think it's now time to let go of Titan as a gaming brand. Those days are over.

Pfff nVidia prices are nothing. I’ve seen $40k Ethernet cards for industrial. :eek: Such is the land of prosumer / industry.

Do people really think that a company with virtually no competition in a market segment will sell their products for less? Do they not think that a billion dollar corporation spends money studying the market and how they should price thier products? Every price that companies like nVidia set are backed with empirical evidence. Just because you don't like it, does not make it a bad decision for the company.

I went from buying Titan cards to not buying Titan cards. I run two rigs and one of them was SLI, so literally three generations of buying 3 Titan cards every generation. However, those three GPU generations of purchasing Titan cards came to a crashing halt with the Titan V and now RTX Titan.

This RTX generation, I only bought one 2080ti and did away with SLI. My second rig still has a Titan Pascal.

Now you may say, Nvidia is doing awesome market research....but its having the reverse effect on me as a consumer and I don't think I am alone on this shift. Their products are getting more expensive and delivering less and less performance and they are trying to fill in the gaps with marketing doublespeak bullshit and tech that won't be ready for prime time for another 2-3 gpu generations (raytracing).

Nvidia is annoying and so is your analysis. Billion dollar companies fuck up all the time. Yes they are successful, but they fuck up a lot...look at MS, Apple, Dell, etc, etc.....they have all fucked up pretty bad at one point or another and Nvidia is no different. But I don't think Nvidia is quite fucking up, I think they are shifting their business away from gamers and looking towards their future customers in the AI sectors.

Last edited:
I went from buying Titan cards to not buying Titan cards. I run two rigs and one of them was SLI, so literally three generations of buying 3 Titan cards every generation. However, those three GPU generations of purchasing Titan cards came to a crashing halt with the Titan V and now RTX Titan.

This RTX generation, I only bought one 2080ti and did away with SLI. My second rig still has a Titan Pascal.

Now you may say, Nvidia is doing awesome market research....but its having the reverse effect on me as a consumer and I don't think I am alone on this shift. Their products are getting more expensive and delivering less and less performance and they are trying to fill in the gaps with marketing doublespeak bullshit and tech that won't be ready for prime time for another 2-3 gpu generations (raytracing).

Nvidia is annoying and so is your analysis. Billion dollar companies fuck up all the time. Yes they are successful, but they fuck up a lot...look at MS, Apple, Dell, etc, etc.....they have all fucked up pretty bad at one point or another and Nvidia is no different. But I don't think Nvidia is quite fucking up, I think they are shifting their business away from gamers and looking towards their future customers in the AI sectors.

In the end though, you still bought a 2080 Ti, presumably paid around the same you would have for a previous gen Titan. So they got the same amount of money from you. Seems like a win-win for Nvidia to me.

I assume if they priced the Titan like the other models you would have bought it, but they'd probably be making less profit on that sale so Nvidia doesn't really lose out here... their marketing is working. It's not good for the consumer, but seems to be making them more profit.

In the end though, you still bought a 2080 Ti, presumably paid around the same you would have for a previous gen Titan. So they got the same amount of money from you. Seems like a win-win for Nvidia to me.

I assume if they priced the Titan like the other models you would have bought it, but they'd probably be making less profit on that sale so Nvidia doesn't really lose out here... their marketing is working. It's not good for the consumer, but seems to be making them more profit.

How is me buying ONE 2080ti the same money as me buying 3 Titans?

-SLI sucking has caused me to only run one gpu per rig. I have two rigs.

-Marginal performance gains & dramatic price increases have caused me to only upgrade one of my
rigs per new GPU generation. Thus my second rig still has a pascal Titan and when the 3080ti comes out I will pass the 2080ti down from my primary rig to the second rig and sell the pascal titan then.

So I am only buying ONE top tier card per generation instead of THREE.
Surely, there are more enthusiast out there who feel the same as me and are doing the same now. I just don't see the numbers to support your "Miracle Marketing" claims. I mean didn't Nvidia just come up 700 MILLION short on their earnings reports?

I would wager that 700M shortfall is the result of three things:
a) Mining is fading out
b) QC recalls of defective 2080tis
c) Reduction in multi-gpu volume purchasers like myself.

$800tis and $1,200 Titans were very good price points and Nvidia made a ton of money there.

$1,200tis & $2,500 Titans is fucking retarded.

Last edited:
How is me buying ONE 2080ti the same money as me buying 3 Titans?

-SLI sucking has caused me to only run one gpu per rig. I have two rigs.

-Marginal performance gains & dramatic price increases have caused me to only upgrade one of my
rigs per new GPU generation. Thus my second rig still has a pascal Titan and when the 3080ti comes out I will pass the 2080ti down from my primary rig to the second rig and sell the pascal titan then.

So I am only buying ONE top tier card per generation instead of THREE.
Surely, there are more enthusiast out there who feel the same as me and are doing the same now. I just don't see the numbers to support your "Miracle Marketing" claims. I mean didn't Nvidia just come up 700 MILLION short on their earnings reports?

a) Mining is fading out

$800tis and $1,200 Titans were very good price points and Nvidia made a ton of money there.

$1,200tis & $2,500 Titans is fucking retarded.

Somehow skipped over that you owned multiple Titans, sorry, thought you meant one each generation. Yeah not comparable then...

I think the downfall of crypto mining has brought on a huge hit to their revenue as well, so hard to say how the RTX series is performing amidst all that.

That said I feel like there's been way more acceptance towards the price point of the 2080 Ti than with past Titan cards. There's been some blowback, but not enough. A lot of folks that had a 1080 Ti are buying these cards, that never went for the Titans before. That's where I think their strategy is winning, they are getting people that traditionally only went for the regular gaming cards to pay Titan-like prices.

Unfortunately, I don't see Nvidia changing their ways unless there's a lot more competition from AMD.

a) Mining is fading out

you got 1/3 right, better than nothing :)

a - Nvidia has been fraudulently conflating their gpu gaming sales when it was in fact retail crypto purchases that were driving their manufacturing decisions. Their overproduction of Pascal cards has them sitting on half a billion dollars of rotting fruit. With the flood of used mining pascal gpus, I don't see them fixing this scenario anytime soon.

b - The defective 2080ti cards have a negligible effect on their business

c - multi gpu sales account for less than 1% of sales so that discussion is moot. It's why we see shit for sli support. If no one is buying it, why spend money on it?

Nvidia wanted to perpetuate their crypto growth through this next product generation, and were set up perfectly to exploit a continued crypto boom. It was a gamble, and unfortunately for them, it blew up in their faces. The market is completely fubar right now and won't normalize for at least 6 months. By then AMD is rumored to be releasing their mid range tock that will further damage the ecosystem for Nvidia. If Nvidia can't get rid of that Pascal inventory, it's going to be a bloodbath for their next 3Q of earnings.

You're spot on here. However, there is a market for simply the fastest gaming card on the planet, otherwise this product wouldn't exist. The profit on these cards, which are essentially the same as a 2080ti with better yield, are astronomical. Selling one of these is probably the equivalent of selling about 10 2070s, hence their place in the product stack. Also, this card serves to enable smaller businesses and creators to get into the Nvidia ecosystem affordably, which will in turn perpetuate their professional line. As a gaming card, it's still a beast, and people will buy it just for that purpose. Ask around, several [H] have Titan V sitting in their rigs right now (or up for sale since they bought their 2080tis)

For $2500 I really wish they would start shipping these with watercooler blocks or at least let you buy a bare board. The cooler is already marginal on the 2080Ti...

I'm actually surprised that they don't have the blower hsf for exhaust outside of the case. One would think this card would be ideal for oem's at a high buy in price point. At this price point, it doesn't make sense to use the cooler they have and not water. A lot of strange decisions on their part. One would almost surmise they are just going cheap on their highest margin gaming product, which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Intel has done it for the past 7 years. It works, period. The only misstep Nvidia took was their reliance on the crypto boom, and as stated above, it was a doozy. We should start to see normalizing GPU prices for holiday '19

Why not just get a Titan V at this price range and get a better cooler for it?

Lack of competition, yields on the perfect piece of silicon, and halo product.

You're spot on here. However, there is a market for simply the fastest gaming card on the planet, otherwise this product wouldn't exist. The profit on these cards, which are essentially the same as a 2080ti with better yield, are astronomical. Selling one of these is probably the equivalent of selling about 10 2070s, hence their place in the product stack. Also, this card serves to enable smaller businesses and creators to get into the Nvidia ecosystem affordably, which will in turn perpetuate their professional line. As a gaming card, it's still a beast, and people will buy it just for that purpose. Ask around, several [H] have Titan V sitting in their rigs right now (or up for sale since they bought their 2080tis)

For this generation you're mostly right. Yes, it will be the fastest gaming card on the planet (by a small margin compared to the 2080Ti). However, these cards are not 2080Tis with better yield - the 2080Ti is a Quadro RTX 6000 with half the RAM and a worse yield GPU. The Titan RTX is a Quadro RTX 6000 with uncertified drivers, although I'm sure the professional drivers will work with it, since the hardware between the two cards is identical (the vBIOS might be different though).

Again I'll ask what I asked on OCN: why isn't the Quadro RTX line being moaned about for its price, when the hardware is identical?

For this generation you're mostly right. Yes, it will be the fastest gaming card on the planet (by a small margin compared to the 2080Ti). However, these cards are not 2080Tis with better yield - the 2080Ti is a Quadro RTX 6000 with half the RAM and a worse yield GPU. The Titan RTX is a Quadro RTX 6000 with uncertified drivers, although I'm sure the professional drivers will work with it, since the hardware between the two cards is identical (the vBIOS might be different though).

Again I'll ask what I asked on OCN: why isn't the Quadro RTX line being moaned about for its price, when the hardware is identical?

This is not quite true. The Quadro RTX 6000 PCB is different from the 2080 Ti or the Titan RTX. For one it has an 8-pin and a 6-pin connectors, the TU102 is also binned differently with the Quadro line having different designations on the chip (probably higher quality chips), there are other more subtle differences in the PCB design also but they're minor and mostly center around the extra Quadro-specific connectors and power delivery, I would guess. So the Titan RTX is really a 2080 Ti with 24GB RAM and a full TU102, whereas the Quadro RTX 6000 is different from the PCB design and the actual chip used. Whether there are actual functional differences, beyond what the drivers enable or disable, is debatable.

For those of you who claimed that the 2080 Ti was a Titan... you have officially been proven WRONG!

Now the new Titan is also double the price of the old Titan.

Let's see Nvidia's pricing scheme:

1080 Ti $699 -> 2080 Ti $1199
Titan XP $1200 -> Titan RTX $2499

No more excuses, Nvidia is officially Greedy AF!!!

Oh, and the cherry on top is that the Titan only has 5% more tensor cores and raytracing cores than the 2080 Ti. It's only real advantage is the 24GB of memory.

It's only going to be very slightly marginally faster than the 2080 Ti UNLESS you are using it for AI learning, etc.

Last edited:
For those of you who claimed that the 2080 Ti was a Titan... you have officially been proven WRONG!

Now the new Titan is also double the price of the old Titan.

Let's see Nvidia's pricing scheme:

1080 Ti $699 -> 2080 Ti $1199
Titan XP $1200 -> Titan RTX $2499

No more excuses, Nvidia is officially Greedy AF!!!

Oh, and the cherry on top is that the Titan only has 5% more tensor cores and raytracing cores than the 2080 Ti. It's only real advantage is the 24GB of memory.

It's only going to be very slightly marginally faster than the 2080 Ti UNLESS you are using it for AI learning, etc.

I'm going to agree with you on the "Nvidia is officially Greedy AF!!!" aspect of your post, as they have been riding the top as to the gaming GPU market with no real competition in sight for quite some time now, and as such, get to set prices to whatever they want.
Add to that they have also been riding the crypto-mining wave that blew up demand to insane levels letting the GPU market go completely bonkers when it came to GPU pricing over the last couple of years. Hopefully that wave has crested... and with AMD lining up some fairly promising parts early next year as to competition, it may rock the boat a bit concerning the mid-range gaming card market (a substantial chunk of where PC GPUs are sold), which may trigger a small slide in prices back down to at least semi-reasonable levels again.

However, your post did leave out some stuff which I feel you've overlooked. Your statement about the Titan RTX only having performance "very slightly marginally faster than the 2080 Ti" sounds a bit off because of this.

From what we know thus far, besides the massive VRAM increase, the Titan RTX is also going to have:
  • A wider memory bus (384-bit vs 352-bit), resulting in better memory throughput (672GB/sec vs 616GB/sec)
  • A higher GPU boost clock (1770MHz vs 1635MHz)
  • A better base as to power with a TDP of 280W vs 260W
  • A larger L2 Cache (6MB vs 5.5MB)
  • Better Single Precision performance (16.3 TFLOPS vs 14.2 TFLOPS)
  • Massively better Tensor Core performance (130 TFLOPS vs 57 TFLOPS) - Which should really help with DLSS and raytracing performance (when it fully materializes for gaming)
This is all going to add up. The higher TDP will also likely provide a bit more capacity as to overclocking - especially if water cooled.

Is it going to be massive? No. But, I see all of the above resulting in a solid 10% to 15% gain in overall performance over the RTX 2080Ti.

We seem to have a a slight difference of opinion as to what constitutes "very slightly marginally faster" here. I'd go so far as to drop the "very slightly marginally" bit as a double digit increase is nothing to sneeze at.

That price though, ya, it's bonkers for a gaming card. But then again, I'm getting old and have the means... I might just pick one up to play with as I don't see anything faster arriving for a good while. :D

This is not quite true. The Quadro RTX 6000 PCB is different from the 2080 Ti or the Titan RTX. For one it has an 8-pin and a 6-pin connectors, the TU102 is also binned differently with the Quadro line having different designations on the chip (probably higher quality chips), there are other more subtle differences in the PCB design also but they're minor and mostly center around the extra Quadro-specific connectors and power delivery, I would guess. So the Titan RTX is really a 2080 Ti with 24GB RAM and a full TU102, whereas the Quadro RTX 6000 is different from the PCB design and the actual chip used. Whether there are actual functional differences, beyond what the drivers enable or disable, is debatable.

Well, even if the hardware is slightly different, the specs (at least according to NVIDIA's website) are identical in terms of GPU, RAM and clocks. Interesting that the Titan RTX has 2x 8-pin PCIe though; maybe they left that as a provision for the more well-heeled gamers who might want to overclock it? I do agree however that drivers will be the main differentiator between the two cards.

While this will rip in games, it isn't a gaming card and shouldn't be judged by gaming standards. This is a legitimate pro card aimed at non-gaming usage. The areas where this card excels (high tensor performance, high memory amount) simply aren't used by games. Giving the card 2TB of memory won't speed up PUBG - but these updates do make a big a difference for ML and many rendering engines. That's where this card is targeted, and that's where it will make a pretty big difference in performance.

Back