RTX Super review embargo and launch dates...

So the 2070 Super is faster than my 1080 TI... Welp was hoping AMD could compete (and it is still to be seen) but I am a little less optimistic now.

Reactions: noko
like this
So when Gamers Nexus says that the RTX 2070 super is near the RTX 2080 and for $500 while the RTX 2080 is $700 you think it amounts to well played?

To confuse the issue you spin it on AMD:

This is just baffling you been had by Nvidia for so many months and now because of AMD Navi (you will find no one believing this) Nvidia decides not sell overpriced hardware and sell less overpriced hardware (reminder that AMD did not release anything competing with RTX 2080 because Navi is a lot slower).

The only thing that Nvidia did right is that the pricing seems reasonable to anyone but current RTX 2070 owners which will feel quite bad about this and if it happens in a few months time the same as the RTX 2080 owners will feel when Nvidia decides to release a reasonably priced 2080.

RTX 2080 Super exist and have a launch date to end of july.. so current RTX 2080 Will also be cheaper and RTX 2080 SUPER Will also be faster enough to reduce the HUGE difference in performance between RTX 2080 and RTX 2080Ti.

I don't understand this sentiment that current RTX owners should be upset. Yes these cards were expensive, I have been lamenting that fact.

But new cards come out, with better performance for the same or less money. That's how things work, in every generation. It's been nine months, why would RTX owners be upset?
Because the only reason is that Nvidia did the pricing is to get rid of their mining anticipated back log of gpu.
At $599 the MSI RTX 2070 GAMING Z is less expensive than the ASUS ROG STRIX RX Vega 64 OC Edition’s price of $649.99. The MSI RTX 2070 GAMING Z also performs 20-30% faster, and therefore is a no brainer bang-for-the buck buy over a factory overclocked Radeon RX Vega 64 video card.
from https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/14/msi_geforce_rtx_2070_gaming_z_performance_review/12

I'm not trying to talk anyone into feeling bad about their purchase , regardless of brand I hope that when people purchase videocards they are happy with their hardware.

It is more performance and the reason why is not Navi ...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The only thing that Nvidia did right is that the pricing seems reasonable to anyone but current RTX 2070 owners which will feel quite bad about this and if it happens in a few months time the same as the RTX 2080 owners will feel when Nvidia decides to release a reasonably priced 2080.

I have a RTX2070, been happily using it for months, paid under $500. No reason to feel bad at all. But thanks for your concern.

It's Tech, the next best thing is always right around the corner.

[QUOTE="Pieter3dnow, post: 1044249122, member: 202995"
I'm not trying to talk anyone into feeling bad about their purchase , regardless of brand I hope that when people purchase videocards they are happy with their hardware.
[/QUOTE]

LOL.

B.S.

Because the only reason is that Nvidia did the pricing is to get rid of their mining anticipated back log of gpu.

from https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/14/msi_geforce_rtx_2070_gaming_z_performance_review/12

It is a lot more performance for less money and the reason why is not Navi ...

early buyers always pay more, but also enjoy the best performance since day one from several months, to some people that have some added value in there… AMD do the same ALWAYS with their constant rebrand of GPUS and I see nobody talking about that.. this time is a real upgrade in specs for the same Price.. (specially for the 2060 SUPER which it's now seen as a really good GPU for the Price). AMD did worse from RX 480 to RX 580, and even worse yet from RX 580 to RX 590 being exactly the same GPU just with higher clocks but 50$ more expensive.. nobody said anything about that, what about of happy owners ot RX 480 who purchased that GPU in 2016 and faced in 2018 an RX 580 launch 50$ more expensive for just a Factory overclocked GPU?

Well, here's hoping that AMD will respond with a further price cut (or an RX 5800) and another great pro-consumer GPU war can begin!

I don't understand this sentiment that current RTX owners should be upset. Yes these cards were expensive, I have been lamenting that fact.

But new cards come out, with better performance for the same or less money. That's how things work, in every generation. It's been nine months, why would RTX owners be upset?

Notice that the same people so concerned for current RTX owners, are the same ones that complained loudest about price/$. Price too high: complain, price improves complain. :rolleyes:

It's basically the people that think NVidia is evil and everything they do is nefarious and needs to be attacked.

I bought a 2080ti at launch then returned for a custom 2080 as I play at 1440p and liked the reviews of the custom card. I will have to say I still don't like the price of the 2060, the super version sucks even more to me but I like the 2070 super's performance for $500. If they launched at the super specs I probably would've complained only about the 2060 not being a good gateway part.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this

But new cards come out, with better performance for the same or less money. That's how things work, in every generation.

Didn't seem quite as true for the RTX generation

LOL.

B.S.
That is rather disingenuous I never told you that you can not enjoy your purchase for you to call BS on this is rather silly. You post in the same Anthem thread as I do on this forum and never have I told people that they are stupid for buying Nvidia when they are playing Anthem.

The difference is that I tell people that Nvidia is a bad company because of their long standing practise of anti competitive behaviour and things that do not benefit consumers (remember GPP).

You can never quote me saying that I haven't been anything but honest about what I think of Nvidia but reality is that many people enjoy using their products and that is one thing I have always advocated is that people are free to spend _their_ money on what they want to spend it on.

I have owned Nvidia cards (still own 2 of them GTX 260 and TNT2 ultra) and have friends whom own Nvidia products ...

Last edited:
Well the landscape going forward is pretty clear now. I bought a used 1080 Ti a month ago and am very happy with the card. I had contemplated if an RTX 2080 Super or 2080 Ti would make sense when I upgrade the rest of my rig in a few months, but unless there are significant improvements in ray tracing implementation (Cyberpunk being the one I am most looking forward to), will likely use this card in the new rig. I game at 1440p 144Hz.

Well the landscape going forward is pretty clear now. I bought a used 1080 Ti a month ago and am very happy with the card. I had contemplated if an RTX 2080 Super or 2080 Ti would make sense when I upgrade the rest of my rig in a few months, but unless there are significant improvements in ray tracing implementation (Cyberpunk being the one I am most looking forward to), will likely use this card in the new rig. I game at 1440p 144Hz.
Yeah it seems that we have been stuck at 1080ti performance in the $500-700 range for some time. You can now hit that performance target with a new card for $500 retail which I suppose is nice. But we haven't really crossed that threshold yet with anything
with a reasonable price tag. The 2080ti for me is more of a halo product. The performance gain compared the price increase just isn't there.

I don't know if everybody got it but the Nvidia Super cards are not really the same as previous RTX series.
They are redrawn and made by Samsung 11nm et not TSMC 12nm anymore. This is a real change. The cards have received some updates and optimisations, the density is higher, consume a little less at the same frequency. It's all better, not the same as 7nm AMD but really better than the older ones based on 12nm (in fact 16nm+) TSMC. It seems the latencies have been improved and the data management is better. One can expect something like 10/15% better specs, and it seems that the yields are much better. It seems that Samsung may have some lead over TSMC on the contrary of what was thought.

Now, that means AMD is in a real mess with it's Navy line, which will clearly not be on par with Nvidia Super Line, while not cheap enough.
At the price they have been announced Navi sales will near 0.

Now, that means AMD is in a real mess with it's Navy line, which will clearly not be on par with Nvidia Super Line, while not cheap enough.

if/until AMD can release new product more in line with NV new product launches, there will not be 1:1 competition. For example, if AMD had launched navi last year or even Q1 this year, people would have immediate options. 2060/2070 vs 5700/xt. Now they still have options, but AMD is late to the party, almost by a year, and now half a gen behind.

Can we get a full fat big Turing chip for ~$1200 please? I don't want to pay $2500 for a Titan RTX.

I don't know if everybody got it but the Nvidia Super cards are not really the same as previous RTX series.
They are redrawn and made by Samsung 11nm et not TSMC 12nm anymore. This is a real change. The cards have received some updates and optimisations, the density is higher, consume a little less at the same frequency. It's all better, not the same as 7nm AMD but really better than the older ones based on 12nm (in fact 16nm+) TSMC. It seems the latencies have been improved and the data management is better. One can expect something like 10/15% better specs, and it seems that the yields are much better. It seems that Samsung may have some lead over TSMC on the contrary of what was thought.

Source? As far as I know these are made my TSMC. Perf/W figures show no reason to believe otherwise either.

Just a rumor thrown up against the wall.

Rumor has it Sept or Oct for Ti and Titan - As rumors go I suppose it matches a possible AMD launch of Navi 5800 or something... Then again, it doesn't look like nVidia needs to do anything with Ti or Titan as Vega 7 the closet performance from AMD for now.

Source? As far as I know these are made my TSMC. Perf/W figures show no reason to believe otherwise either.
https://www.techpowerup.com/257012/nvidia-manufacturing-turing-gpus-at-samsung-korea-fab-11nm
A Turing Super has been disassembled and it is written on the chip "made in Korea" and there is no TSMC Fab in Korea.
We know Nvidia will manufacture future 7nm EUV chips, probably Ampere line at Samsung. We didn't know they would manufacture second series of Turing GPU. This is it and explains why Turing Super line is a lot better. Redesigned and 11 LPP. These are in fact brand new GPUs. They kept the die size which should be smaller, which means the new line is much more overclockable and has lower TDP at the same performance. Also it seems the redesign made some big changes on the latencies. The Super Line is a real upgrade. This should be interesting for those still on Pascal who should avoid already deprecated and expensive Navi line from AMD.

And mind that this is NOT about packaging but where the chip itself is made. However Nvidia still make their non Super Line at TSMC and they even ditched the A cards for the purpose (only common cards are still produced).

https://www.techpowerup.com/257012/nvidia-manufacturing-turing-gpus-at-samsung-korea-fab-11nm
A Turing Super has been disassembled and it is written on the chip "made in Korea" and there is no TSMC Fab in Korea.
We know Nvidia will manufacture future 7nm EUV chips, probably Ampere line at Samsung. We didn't know they would manufacture second series of Turing GPU. This is it and explains why Turing Super line is a lot better. Redesigned and 11 LPP. These are in fact brand new GPUs. They kept the die size which should be smaller, which means the new line is much more overclockable and has lower TDP at the same performance. Also it seems the redesign made some big changes on the latencies. The Super Line is a real upgrade. This should be interesting for those still on Pascal who should avoid already deprecated and expensive Navi line from AMD.

And mind that this is NOT about packaging but where the chip itself is made. However Nvidia still make their non Super Line at TSMC and they even ditched the A cards for the purpose (only common cards are still produced).

More likely a packaging thing. I bet this is still a TSMC part.

Edit:

Definitely packaging. Here is a TU104 from Korea, in 2018. Oh and TPUP is no better than WCCF. They just randomly speculate.

gpu-755x566.jpg

And a TU102 from Korea in 2018:

From what it looks like here, early production/prototype boards seem to have Korea Labeled dies, for whatever reason.

Has anyone actually seen Korea labeled dies on full production consumer cards.

Final Edit:
TPUP now says NVidia got back to them with:
NVIDIA The answer is really simple and these markings are not new. Other Turing GPUs have had these markings in the past. The chip is made at TSMC, but packaged in various locations. This one was done in Korea, hence why his says "Korea".

Last edited:
RTX 2080 Super exist and have a launch date to end of july.. so current RTX 2080 Will also be cheaper and RTX 2080 SUPER Will also be faster enough to reduce the HUGE difference in performance between RTX 2080 and RTX 2080Ti.

That's what I'm banking on. Even if Nvidia released a RTX 2080ti that was 15% better for the same price, I can't see my self spending $1k+ for a video card.

Doesn’t look like there will be a ti super? nVidia’s site only shows 60,70,80 supers. Looks like they just wanted to firmly squash Navi imo.

Doesn’t look like there will be a ti super? nVidia’s site only shows 60,70,80 supers. Looks like they just wanted to firmly squash Navi imo.

They have said nothing about a 2080Ti Super at this point. It will stay at the top of the performance stack.

Nvidia answered TPU about the chip, but the answer is not clear. They said that this particular GPU on the photo is made by TSMC but packaged in Korea, why the Korea appears on it and that they package their GPU in several locations, but they make GPUs at TSMC AND Samsung, not commenting which. So one doesn't know for real where his GPU is made as for what is meant in Nvidia answer. :confused:

Nvidia answered TPU about the chip, but the answer is not clear. They said that this particular GPU on the photo is made by TSMC but packaged in Korea, why the Korea appears on it and that they package their GPU in several locations, but they make GPUs at TSMC AND Samsung, not commenting which. So one doesn't know for real where his GPU is made as for what is meant in Nvidia answer. :confused:

They sometimes use Samsung, but in this case, they use TSMC, and that the Korea marking doesn't mean squat. It's pretty clear.

If you go to NVidia's site they are always talking about TSMC, not Samsung. They even specifically mention that:

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-turing-architecture-in-depth/
NVIDIA TURING KEY FEATURES
NVIDIA Turing is the world’s most advanced GPU architecture. The high-end TU102 GPU includes

18.6 billion transistors fabricated on TSMC’s 12 nm FFN (FinFET NVIDIA) high-performance manufacturing process.

They might keep Samsung option open if a capacity issue looms, but it looks like the entire RTX line is TSMC and it hasn't changed.

This "big news", was a complete red herring.

early buyers always pay more, but also enjoy the best performance since day one from several months, to some people that have some added value in there… AMD do the same ALWAYS with their constant rebrand of GPUS and I see nobody talking about that.. this time is a real upgrade in specs for the same Price.. (specially for the 2060 SUPER which it's now seen as a really good GPU for the Price). AMD did worse from RX 480 to RX 580, and even worse yet from RX 580 to RX 590 being exactly the same GPU just with higher clocks but 50$ more expensive.. nobody said anything about that, what about of happy owners ot RX 480 who purchased that GPU in 2016 and faced in 2018 an RX 580 launch 50$ more expensive for just a Factory overclocked GPU?

1. The 2060 Super is $50 more but yes, you get more perf at least than the 480-580 jump.
2. Both of the RX cards were also only $10 apart on launch prices. The 580 came out 10 months after the 480 (7-8 for AIB if I remember right).
3. Almost no one said the "fatboy" 590 cards were a good deal. It was only a good deal some time after its launch if you wanted the 3 free games that came with it, not much incentive for most people.

I don't think you can assume they make GPU's at TSMC AND Samsung from that reply. It's too ambiguous.

"NVIDIAThe answer is really simple and these markings are not new. Other Turing GPUs have had these markings in the past. The chip is made at TSMC, but packaged in various locations. This one was done in Korea, hence why his says "Korea".

On an unrelated note: We already use both TSMC and Samsung, and qualify each of them for every process node. We can't comment in any further detail on future plans, but both remain terrific partners."

They could be making only GPU's at TSMC and say, chipsets or tegra whatever at Samsung.

We know now that Ampere will be made at Samsung though, saw that headline a day or two ago.

Go watch Gamers Nexus 2070 Super tear down. The 2070 non-super they take apart (EVGA Black Edition) has "Korea" on the package. They're not made by Samsung.

Nvidia has made Pascals using Samsung's 14nm process but these Turings are definitely TSMC "12nm".

Not a big deal. RTX super cards are tested now and we can see hos they are better and why. They use the GPU of the bigger cards have more Vram, faster. It's all better to the point that a 2060S=old 2070, 2070S=2080 and 2080S is something that is in between 2080Ti and 2080.
For the same price you get the more expensive card.

Frankly speaking the AMD Navi cards are all dead before launch. You will get much worse on nay matter for the same price as Nvidia.
If AMD wants to sell its navi cards it need to put à 180$ on the 5700 and a 250$ on the 5700XT. That is their fair price now, compared to Nvidia.
Navi is a scam :
- much worse on compute than Turing and even much worse the Vega
- price are equal to Nvidia but competing with the older non Super line.
- no Raytrace while Raytrace is becoming standard on new games (and even old ones patched).
AMD needs to put those Navi cards on sale for a low price and get rid of them, and forget of the design in the future, and start drawing new design, like Vega enhanced, which keeps the compute power and brings gaming back.

Not a big deal. RTX super cards are tested now and we can see hos they are better and why. They use the GPU of the bigger cards have more Vram, faster. It's all better to the point that a 2060S=old 2070, 2070S=2080 and 2080S is something that is in between 2080Ti and 2080.
For the same price you get the more expensive card.

Frankly speaking the AMD Navi cards are all dead before launch. You will get much worse on nay matter for the same price as Nvidia.
If AMD wants to sell its navi cards it need to put à 180$ on the 5700 and a 250$ on the 5700XT. That is their fair price now, compared to Nvidia.
Navi is a scam :
- much worse on compute than Turing and even much worse the Vega
- price are equal to Nvidia but competing with the older non Super line.
- no Raytrace while Raytrace is becoming standard on new games (and even old ones patched).
AMD needs to put those Navi cards on sale for a low price and get rid of them, and forget of the design in the future, and start drawing new design, like Vega enhanced, which keeps the compute power and brings gaming back.
Ok, while I believe both 5700 cards needs a $50-$75 price cut, this is just ridiculous panic. We don't need improved compute in gaming cards(bad things happen), the only nicely priced super card is the 2070 super. Until we see what the 2080 super brings to the table I will still say avoid all others unless you want the best which is the 2080ti.

Back