RTX highend , leaked twin fan Ti and pre-orders microcenter...

nEo717

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking we will have Founders Editions from nVidia after the launch later today with AIB about month out, unless pre-order info below updates:

Microcenter has some RTX 2080 Ti pre-orders up, shows in-store pickup Sept. 27th

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=GeForce+RTX+2080Ti

Here's supposed pic of RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition - twin fans:

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-founders-edition-leaks-with-dual-fans

Appears some companies are going to launch their cards well over msrp (zotac $1199 Ti):
https://videocardz.com/77505/zotac-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-amp-edition-to-cost-1199-usd

RTX 2080 shows available for pickup in-store:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/511360/gaming-x-trio-geforce-rtx-2080-8gb-gddr6-pcie-video-card

RTX 2080 microcenter page:
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=GeForce+RTX+2080

-------
---original post----
Its looking as nVidia may split the gaming series into RTX 2070 and above for high-end leaving mid to low end cards without Ray Trace and namesake making them GTX 2060 and down.

https://www.purepc.pl/karty_graficzne/nvidia_dyskretnie_zapowiada_karte_graficzna_geforce_rtx_2080

Soon we'll need to borrow $10k for RTX 8000 just to play Battlefield VI, joking of course... I can't help but to wonder how AMD will respond, or if they will at all with this next round of releases...

EDIT: nVidia Trademarks both Geforce RTX and Quadro RTX (along with Turing):
https://videocardz.com/77166/nvidia-registers-turing-geforce-rtx-and-quadro-rtx-trademarks

Branding Names and performance projections:
https://hothardware.com/photo-gallery/NewsItem/45350?image=big_geforce_cards.jpg&tag=popup

$3k - Titan RTX 15% faster than Titan V - Competitor AMD Vega 20
$500/700 - RTX 2080 8 % faster than GTX 1080 Ti
$300/500 - RTX 2070 17 % faster than GTX 1070 - Competitor AMD Navi 10 G6
$200/300 - GTX 2060 7 % slower than GTX 1070
$100/200 - GTX 2050 18 % slower than GTX 1060 - Competitor AMD Navi 11 G5

Last edited:
Curious when someone will decide to use that ray tracing hardware in a game. If these are professional cards then it's going to be all about rendering special effects and movies and such, right? So maybe next gen with the technology trickles down and developers catch up? The 1280's or 3080's?

Raytracing is ALL about graphics...this will be implemented in all future Geforce cards.
But:
GeForce != QUADRO
GeForce != Tesla

Rumorsites are annoying...posting about stuf they know nothing about.

It's like any new technology. The first gen is there to say, "Hey, we have it", but outside of a tech demo or two, nothing will use it, and it will be slow. It's 3-4 generations later that you start to see stuff, when low end cards are twice as fast as the bleeding edge cards of the first gen.

Currently, "RTX" is the new Quadro line - https://www.anandtech.com/show/13217/nvidia-announces-turing-powered-quadro-rtx-family
I don't think NVIDIA will try to confuse their professional line and their consumer line with the same naming convention or prefix.

Humm... Titan is an example of confusion for some - Quadro's would remain (RTX Quadro) as would GeForce (if this all pans out), only GTX is changing to RTX - GeForce RTX 2070 etc... Both AMD and nVidia seem to be working at a blended transition from line to line.

So is Raytracing going to be a specific Nvidia thing? Like physx? where AMD doesnt get to play and the technology fades away?

Currently, "RTX" is the new Quadro line - https://www.anandtech.com/show/13217/nvidia-announces-turing-powered-quadro-rtx-family
I don't think NVIDIA will try to confuse their professional line and their consumer line with the same naming convention or prefix.
While I would normally agree with this point, the teaser video for Gamescom that was put out has a lot of hints that RTX will also be used for gaming.
upload_2018-8-14_12-4-40.png

I think this combined with another chat window later in the video points to the gaming card being RTX 2080.

NVIDIA spent a lot of research dollars on real time ray tracing, so I would imagine them wanting to reference it everywhere for ROI.

I really wish AMD came out with something good. Im due for an upgrade and the 2080 is looking good.

Raytracing is all about graphics...and major players are onboard already.
I would turn it around and say AMD better get moving...or get obsolete.
This reminds me of the G80 launch.
Its all good to have ray tracing. But games aren't going to be fully fledged with it with first gen hardware. It's on the right track but it will be a while before we see true action. This will help out the pro industry for sure though. I don't expect games to have fully fledged ray tracing throughout the game just yet.

Its all good to have ray tracing. But games aren't going to be fully fledged with it with first gen hardware. It's on the right track but it will be a while before we see true action. This will help out the pro industry for sure though. I don't expect games to have fully fledged ray tracing throughout the game just yet.

It's just like with the G80.
When it came, no games had GPGPU...today, most games do.
It will take time sure...but now the hardware is getting in position.

I expect to be more like with PhysX (PGPGU physics).
AMD will talk and hope someone does it for them...who has AMD gotten onboard on their Raytracing?
I mean they have had since May...if no one...then I suspect I am right.

Who has AMD ever gotten on board properly? Mantle was a cluster...

nVidia has a good chance because of market share but new techs like ray tracing I take as more of a pleasantly surprised if it works kind of approach. I don’t factor it into a purchase.

I expect to be more like with PhysX (PGPGU physics).
AMD will talk and hope someone does it for them...who has AMD gotten onboard on their Raytracing?
I mean they have had since May...if no one...then I suspect I am right.

No one is using ray tracing in games, professional use sure but it's pretty useless tech right now. Not something I would worry about for at least another generation of video cards for gaming and only if I see benefits of using the tech. It just give Nvidia something new and shiny to talk about.

No one is using ray tracing in games, professional use sure but it's pretty useless tech right now. Not something I would worry about for at least another generation of video cards for gaming and only if I see benefits of using the tech. It just give Nvidia something new and shiny to talk about.

Metro Exodus will feature Ray Tracing, it will be first game to support that, and it's comming this year, so let's see how it perform first and talk later.. so to say no one is using ray tracing in games is a false statement. Nvidia will try to push Ray Tracing as much as possible in upcoming tittles specially if AMD have not anything close to support Ray Tracing.

Metro Exodus will feature Ray Tracing, it will be first game to support that, and it's comming this year, so let's see how it perform first and talk later.. so to say no one is using ray tracing in games is a false statement. Nvidia will try to push Ray Tracing as much as possible in upcoming tittles specially if AMD have not anything close to support Ray Tracing.

Its not out yet, so it's a true statement. We can evaluate its usefulness then no doubt, but lets just say I have severe doubts about how it will perform. Also AMD supports Ray tracing https://www.anandtech.com/show/1255...cing-for-prorender-and-radeon-gpu-profiler-12
Nvidia can push all they want if developers see no net gain from it they wont use it. It always takes at least 1 generation of tech before a new tech really becomes used by many developers cause games are in progress for years anymore and its sometimes to difficult or expensive to modify the engine for new tech. So perhaps when the 3080 or whatever they call it comes out we might have a good debate on the needs of Ray Tracing.

AMD's Ray tracing talked about here:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1255...cing-for-prorender-and-radeon-gpu-profiler-12

AMD is announcing two developer-oriented features: real-time ray tracing support for the company's ProRender rendering engine, and Radeon GPU Profiler 1.2.

Though Microsoft’s DirectX Raytracing (DXR) API and NVIDIA’s DXR backend “RTX Technology” were announced today as well, the new ProRender functionality appears to be largely focused on game and graphical development as opposed to an initiative angled for real-time ray tracing in shipping games. Similarly, while Radeon GPU Profiler (RGP) has not received a major update since December 2017, as it is AMD’s low-level hardware-based debugging/tracing tool for Radeon GPUs this is likewise purely for developers.

In any case, for Radeon ProRender AMD is bringing support for mixing real time ray-tracing with traditional rasterization for greater computational speed. As with today's other real-time ray tracing announcements, AMD's focus is on capturing many of the photorealism benefits of ray tracing without the high computational costs. At a basic level this is achieved by limiting the use of ray tracing to where it's necessary, enough so that it can be done in real-time alongside a rasterizer.

Its not out yet, so it's a true statement. We can evaluate its usefulness then no doubt, but lets just say I have severe doubts about how it will perform. Also AMD supports Ray tracing https://www.anandtech.com/show/1255...cing-for-prorender-and-radeon-gpu-profiler-12
Nvidia can push all they want if developers see no net gain from it they wont use it. It always takes at least 1 generation of tech before a new tech really becomes used by many developers cause games are in progress for years anymore and its sometimes to difficult or expensive to modify the engine for new tech. So perhaps when the 3080 or whatever they call it comes out we might have a good debate on the needs of Ray Tracing.

the article says
First disclosed this evening with teaser videos related to a GDC presentation on Unity, today AMD is announcing two developer-oriented features: real-time ray tracing support for the company's ProRender rendering engine, and Radeon GPU Profiler 1.2.

Though Microsoft’s DirectX Raytracing (DXR) API and NVIDIA’s DXR backend “RTX Technology” were announced today as well, the new ProRender functionality appears to be largely focused on game and graphical development as opposed to an initiative angled for real-time ray tracing in shipping games. Similarly, while Radeon GPU Profiler (RGP) has not received a major update since December 2017, as it is AMD’s low-level hardware-based debugging/tracing tool for Radeon GPUs this is likewise purely for developers.

pretty much different things actually.. I also have doubts on how it will perform, however I tend to not speak early and I have high belief in 4AGames doing a good use of that tech. their games have always push a lot in the graphics department.

As there isn't any ray tracing enabled games current or future that I could find I don't see any point in buying a RTX card if I can hopefully buy a GTX 1080 for $300 to replace my GTX 1060 instead.

I bet many of those who bitched about GPP and were dumping nvidia are going to get RTX cards since AMD probably won't have anything like it anytime soon.

More than likely I will... I did (in the end) hold and not buy the Titan V, the Vega 64 Liquid I'll move to my Day Trading System if nVidia delivers - Ray Trace will not matter much if at all is my guess (for my use anyways) as when the next gen cards hit, I'll flip these 1st Gen RTX for those - We got to start somewhere's though.

Who has AMD ever gotten on board properly? Mantle was a cluster...

nVidia has a good chance because of market share but new techs like ray tracing I take as more of a pleasantly surprised if it works kind of approach. I don’t factor it into a purchase.

It will not be a major factor right now...but expect games to include Raytraced Ambient Occlusion, Raytraced Global Illumination, Raytraced Shadows as the "ultra settings" in-game soon.
You can choose a lesser I.Q. setting...but it will come.

And just look at the R&D hard at work at NVIDIA since PhysX:
Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion+, Temporal anti-aliasing, HairWorks, WaveWorks, Hybrid Frustum Traced Shadows, Voxel Accelerated Ambient Occlusion, Percentage Closer Soft Shadows+, TurfWork, Ansel...and now hardware accelerated RayTracing that in time will replace a lot of the former mentioned technologies.
This is something they have worked on for a long time.
Just like GPGPU.
Like I stated before.....this reminds me of the G80 launch.
Just no consumer part announced yet ;)

Metro Exodus will not be coming out this year.

If anything, I'm mostly curious if 8% over a GTX 1080 Ti is anywhere near enough to completely eliminate drops below the Timewarp/Spacewarp/Reprojection threshold for VR. That's why I want a beefier GPU, as it feels like the GTX 980 isn't quite cutting it.

As for fixed-function ray-tracing bits on the GPU, I don't see that coming into use any time soon, though I would like to see a ray-traced game that deliberately invokes the '90s CGI FMV cutscene aesthetic, datedness and all. MegaRace, System Shock, Freespace, so on and so forth.

If anything, I'm mostly curious if 8% over a GTX 1080 Ti is anywhere near enough to completely eliminate drops below the Timewarp/Spacewarp/Reprojection threshold for VR. That's why I want a beefier GPU, as it feels like the GTX 980 isn't quite cutting it.

As for fixed-function ray-tracing bits on the GPU, I don't see that coming into use any time soon, though I would like to see a ray-traced game that deliberately invokes the '90s CGI FMV cutscene aesthetic, datedness and all. MegaRace, System Shock, Freespace, so on and so forth.

Games support is like 6 months out:

Last edited:

I would wait, if these numbers turn out true for performance they wont be flying off the shelf and you might score a good deal by being a bit patient.

While 8% over GTX 1080 Ti is not too exciting -- which I'll point out is still better than the jump from 780 ti to 980, I'm just as interested in a) power draw (as are many, many others) and b) price. If power draw is low and pricing is not exorbitant, these things will be harder to get hold of than an honest congressperson.

How much RAM are AAA games using nowadays? A lot of uncommon RAM values there. 7GB/5GB etc

I suppose for 1080p, 4GB is still enough?

I have a 1080ti/Vive Pro and have zero problems with VR reprojection? Most games I upscale to 4k per eye.

I only have one game upgrading would help and it already looks great....

How much RAM are AAA games using nowadays? A lot of uncommon RAM values there. 7GB/5GB etc

I suppose for 1080p, 4GB is still enough?
I wouldn't take a screenshot of some random spreadsheet as gospel.

Games programmed well will use as much VRAM as available.

I wouldn't take a screenshot of some random spreadsheet as gospel.

Games programmed well will use as much VRAM as available.

I'm adding to the rumor mill of course, I understand. My question remains though... I've seen some chart/benches wherein the 780's 3GB and my 970's 3.5GB are holding it back. So I'm genuinely curious as to how much RAM current games will eat without any swapping.

I'm adding to the rumor mill of course, I understand. My question remains though... I've seen some chart/benches wherein the 780's 3GB and my 970's 3.5GB are holding it back. So I'm genuinely curious as to how much RAM current games will eat without any swapping.
It really depends on the game. In recent [H] reviews State of Decay 2 was using more than 4GB at 1920x1080 while Far Cry 5 was using only about 3GB. I would get nothing less than 6GB for 1920x1080 these days just to have some breathing and growing room.

It really depends on the game. In recent [H] reviews State of Decay 2 was using more than 4GB at 1920x1080 while Far Cry 5 was using only about 3GB. I would get nothing less than 6GB for 1920x1080 these days just to have some breathing and growing room.

Agreed on all points.

Developers / asset teams are in general a little afraid to go over 3 GB from what I've seen in "normal" settings due to a huge installed base there. I would expect that to continue, but with "ultra" textures starting to blossom a bit more and really expand beyond the "well, it uses a tiny bit more ram". I expect ultra to use a LOT more ram in many titles soon. Whether or not that matters for most will be a subject for debate.

Getting 6GB gives you a pretty solid cushion of space for either advanced textures or rendering techniques which like memory (AA mostly).

Intel is saying they will set their Graphics free in 2020 - Wonder where they're at on the idea of Ray Tracing?

Last edited:
Intel is saying they will set their Graphics free in 2020 - Wonder where they're at on the idea of Ray Tracing?

I don't think anyone really cares where they are on ray tracing. If we can get more competition in the GPU arena it is good for us--the consumer.

Back