RTX 4xxx / RX 7xxx speculation

Oh no, say it ain't so.
We all knew it was coming. Sad thing is it doesn't event fit the 4070 ti moniker, and there's an even more cutdown 4070 coming. The card should be called 4060 ti if all was right again in the world.

And they're still going to try to charge $1000 for this thing.

We all knew it was coming. Sad thing is it doesn't event fit the 4070 ti moniker, and there's an even more cutdown 4070 coming. The card should be called 4060 ti if all was right again in the world.

It's sad that people will actually defend this. More normalization of sky high prices. Sweep it all under the rug as "Just inflation bro".

It's sad that people will actually defend this. More normalization of sky high prices. Sweep it all under the rug as "Just inflation bro".
1669830363304.png

If we assume (not sure why not) it will be similar in all ways to the planned unlaunched 408012gb, it could well fit the 4070TI monikor has you said a non Full Ada104 is coming, this one is maxed.

And performance wise with the rumored
13,472 points in 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra
10,794 points in TimeSpy Extreme

That would put the 4070TI quite above the 9351 3070TI and above the 12376/9590 3090

The Ti just beating the previous 3090 seem to be where it should fit more or less, like the 3070Ti just beating the 2080TI, specially with how ridiculous the 3090 was.

Would it be a $660 card, with high volume and found at MSRP easily, all would be right again in the world, the issue being has they will probably try to have some Asus ROG edition that end up close to a $1000 before tax, considering there is 3070TI at $750 sold out on newegg right now

Wasn't it $899 for the 4080 12GB? With the name change to 4070 Ti, I kinda see Ngreedia still using that $899 price point. Which is why, for the first time in about a decade, I'm going to look at AMD's lineup seriously.

What performance relative to the previous 3070TI would have been an ok 4070TI according to people that agree that this rumored one does not even fit the moniker ?

What performance relative to the previous 3070TI would have been an ok 4070TI according to people that agree that this rumored one does not even fit the moniker ?
At minimum, +30% for the same price.

It's looking to be 40-45% faster than the 3070 Ti, which makes it about 20% faster than the 3080. With the extra 2 GB VRAM, I'd say $700 is the highest price I'd accept for this card, and even that's a disappointment. EVGA being gone significantly hurts Nvidia's value for me.

That being said, Nvidia will probably keep the price at the originally announced $900.

Last edited:
+30% at the same price.
Seem to be much closer to 45% than 30% for the rumored one, at least at 4k, in 2 of the 3 provided example they had a 60% and 70% from a 3070, 3d mark is 44% higher, plague tale looked terrible but that game at that point was not running that correctly (there was a patch that boosted performance by more than 30% on PS5 since).

That said I would suspect Nvidia used the Ampere pre driver giving an interesting boost to them for those charts.

Same price with the 10% of inflation would me a massive price cut depending of what we mean by price of a 3070TI and what we mean by same price (face value or actual price)

Seem to be much closer to 45% than 30% for the rumored one, at least at 4k, in 2 of the 3 provided example they had a 60% and 70% from a 3070, 3d mark is 44% higher, plague tale looked terrible but that game at that point was not running that correctly (there was a patch that boosted performance by more than 30% on PS5 since).

That said I would suspect Nvidia used the Ampere pre driver giving an interesting boost to them for those charts.

Same price with the 10% of inflation would me a massive price cut depending of what we mean by price of a 3070TI and what we mean by same price (face value or actual price)
The 3070 Ti was a terrible value card to begin with, Nvidia should have an easy time replacing it. If the 4070 Ti were $600 it would be a great card -- compared to the 3070 Ti at the same MSRP.
But if it ends up being $700+ (and it will), it gets compared to the 3080, where it looks way worse.

Call it GPU shrinkflation.
kopite claims the old 4070 has been scrapped. I think that was the 160-bit 10 GB model.

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1598210790922014720
They'll release this card, just not to counter the 7900s, and not for a while. I'm guessing they'll release it just before the 7800, and call it 4060 ti to save face.

Very amusing, but I don't see the problem with $1000 GPUs, or even $10000 GPUs - we don't have to buy them after all. The problem is that they have convinced us that we need to buy cards according to their level rather than whether they are good value or not. That is to say, people seem to think
Average GPU buyer said:
I bought a card with an 8 in the name last time, so I need to buy a card with an 8 in the name this time.
and then complain about how they were forced to pay too much money, when what they should be doing is
Average GPU buyer said:
I had to pay $xxx to get the performance I wanted last time. I would have to pay $yyy to get a worthwhile improvement this time. Therefore I will/won't buy one because it's good/bad value.
So what if you go up or down a "tier"? These are GPUs, not status symbols.

Very amusing, but I don't see the problem with $1000 GPUs, or even $10000 GPUs - we don't have to buy them after all. The problem is that they have convinced us that we need to buy cards according to their level rather than whether they are good value or not. That is to say, people seem to think

and then complain about how they were forced to pay too much money, when what they should be doing is

Good point, which brings into question why AMD named their 4080 competitor 7900XTX instead of 7800XTX when they themselves claim it can't compete with the 4090. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry but lots of people here base their image of themselves on what gpu/cpu they have, rather than the true measure of manlyness: being over 6 feet tall.

Nvidia and AMD launched 4 cards total this fall, starting at $900+.
The 7900 XT is about 10% faster than the 6950 XT which are going for around $800. Basically at these prices the 7000 series are just a higher-end extension of the previous series. Similar concept on the Nvidia side. The only card that really makes sense in all of this is the 4090.

I can't even imagine how embarrassing the lower models 4070, 7800 XT, etc, will be.
The GPU market continues to be totally screwed.

Last edited:
But you do have a free choice.
No one is forcing you to buy these SKU's.

So I suspect the problem is not the price per say.
The issue is that you would like that performance at a cheaper price.
But that is something different than the lack of a free choice.
You know what they say when you assume, right? I'm sitting pretty with a 3070 and have no plans to reward either company my money for their insanely priced "just a bit better than last gen" offerings. The only card worth it this generation is the 4090, and that's only because it is seriously in a class of it's own. But at 1440p 165Hz, I'll pass. Everything I currently play runs smashing on my current set up.

Off topic, I can't wait to see what Nvidia's 4000 series mobile chips can do. the 4000 series has already proven how efficient they are while power limited.

The 7900 XT is about 10% faster than the 6950 XT which are going for around $800.
Hardware unboxed had them at $1100 so I didn,t realize how little value was added, it is true:
$800 with 2 free game on newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...=6950xt-_-14-930-073-_-Product&quicklink=true

It will be 100 less watt when you game so if they fix and I assume they will the high idle, depending on the price and how much you play end up similar price if you are in a place with no winter.

But according to that graph the:

$800 6950xt, $9.45 per frame do beat an msrp XT, which do make the XT a bad buy over the 6950xt, obviously frame get costlier has they get higher to be expected, less watt, I would imagine less noise, better feature, 20 gig of VRAM, etc.. but really show how little of a jump it is versus the black friday rebate we had and if those sold well why would it be ?

Gotta wonder where the rest of the lineup falls below that. There mid and lower end chips will have very limited vram if there are no 4 GB gddr6 chips.
4070ti - 192 bit 12 gb launched later
4070 -128 bit maybe 8 GB?
4060ti - same as 4070
4060 - 96 bit with 6GB vram????

Close on the 4060ti. The 4070 will have 35% more gpu compute and a whopping 75% more bandwidth, which is strange.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/preliminary-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-specs-leak

Not sure why the 4060ti doesn't at least get gddr6x as bandwidth only matches a 1660ti.

Sorry but lots of people here base their image of themselves on what gpu/cpu they have, rather than the true measure of manlyness: being over 6 feet tall.
Not to brag, but I'm 6'7". I'm thinking I need to replace the PC specs in my sig with my height now.
Close on the 4060ti. The 4070 will have 35% more gpu compute and a whopping 75% more bandwidth, which is strange.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/preliminary-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-specs-leak

Not sure why the 4060ti doesn't at least get gddr6x as bandwidth only matches a 1660ti.
Funny how everybody seems to not care about the 256-bit bus width on the 4080 anymore. Bandwidth doesn't seem to be an issue with that card.

Not to brag, but I'm 6'7". I'm thinking I need to replace the PC specs in my sig with my height now.

Funny how everybody seems to not care about the 256-bit bus width on the 4080 anymore. Bandwidth doesn't seem to be an issue with that card.

I think it would be if it wasn't for the large cache that the 40 series uses. Much like the RDNA 2/3. It also uses rather fast memory so overall bandwidth is close to the 3080.

Large Cache only goes so far. Recent example if this is the 6950xt performance. Gpu power is just 3% more than the 6900xt. Bandwidth advantage is about 12% and actual gains are much closer to 12%.

Any money says the 4070 and 4070ti (both 504 GB/s) will be much closer together than the 4070ti to 4080 (717 GB/s), despite being a similar jump in gpu performance.

Bus lanes are expensive. Likely the reason why the 4080 uses extreme memory speeds, which are even faster than used on the 4090 instead of just using a couple more lanes. Nvidia could have used similiar memory for the 3070 at 128 bits and had the same overall bandwidth, but then they would have been stuck with either 8 GB or 16 GB of capacity, which would not have been ideal.

In any case, the 4060ti needs GDDR6X or it will be a turd for sure.

You know what they say when you assume, right? I'm sitting pretty with a 3070 and have no plans to reward either company my money for their insanely priced "just a bit better than last gen" offerings. The only card worth it this generation is the 4090, and that's only because it is seriously in a class of it's own. But at 1440p 165Hz, I'll pass. Everything I currently play runs smashing on my current set up.

Off topic, I can't wait to see what Nvidia's 4000 series mobile chips can do. the 4000 series has already proven how efficient they are while power limited.
You do have the choice.
You just said so yourself.
Other people might have different metrics.
I know I would like more performance than the 4090 because even it does not tear through the things I game...far from it.
But that does not mean you do nothave the choice.
Gamining is a hobby, not a necessity.

Seem to be 3.3 time the 3050 (and an asus one), cheapest Asus 3050 on pc part picker seem to be $300 right now, which would be almost $1000

Some EU leaks indicate a €999 MSRP for the 4070 Ti, which is lower than the 4080 12 GB's MSRP of €1099.
Not sure if that means anything for USD.

Some EU leaks indicate a €999 MSRP for the 4070 Ti, which is lower than the 4080 12 GB's MSRP of €1099.
Not sure if that means anything for USD.

The regular 4080 already had a price reduction in Europe to 1.399€ (from 1.649€) so not too surprising they dropped this one too.

Wouldn't be surprised if they kept the same price as the 4080 12gb. You will take it and love the overpriced GPUs.

Back