RTX 4xxx / RX 7xxx speculation

Jumping on the 4090. Still rocking 2070 Super which has served me well for 3+ years now. $1599 is a good price, I was afraid they were going to go crazy and ask for $1999+ due to crypto (thankfully that has crashed)
Same here. I was waiting to pull the trigger on a 3090Ti but the RT performance was more than expected. Raptor Lake and the 4090 will put me into PC building retirement, lol. So get the best and rest. I'm sure a Ti will be released and the 5000 series but I'm skipping those. I'll be back for the efficient 6000 series, a la GTX 680.

Part of me knows it won't work as well as advertised, but damn if I don't want some of that "Omniverse" / AI-enhance (upscaling) modding tool.

That Morrowind scene looked awesome.
Yeah, that looked pretty sweet. I loved Morrowind and would be fun to play it enhanced. We´ll probably see this very fast on old games. I hope Kotor is one of the first. :)

DLSS 3 also looked useful.
Great performance increase if true.

But, so far in this presentation, there is no killer feature that I personally need. Perhaps raytracing in VR once it gets implemented.

With miners gone, I have no reason not to wait until AMD launches the 7XXX series before I decide what to get this generation. And even then wait a bit until I see what AIBs offer, how they perform and sound.

People are gonna be suuuuuuper annoyed if DLSS 3 is very powerful and not available on 30xx cards they probably paid 2x MRSP for over the last two years.

That seems really egregious, even by evil nvidia standards. Unless there is a serious hardware limitation but even then...4

I have a 3090FE that I'd consider selling and upgrading... if some new games come out to show its worth it. Cyberpunk being a dud kinda put a damper on the next gen graphics excitement.

The 4080 16GB is overpriced if it only offers 4GB more VRAM. I'll likely be a sucker and buy it though. 4090 is overkill for my uses.
There is a big performance difference between the two. The 12gb is more like a 4070.

People are gonna be suuuuuuper annoyed if DLSS 3 is very powerful and not available on 30xx cards they probably paid 2x MRSP for over the last two years.

That seems really egregious, even by evil nvidia standards. Unless there is a serious hardware limitation but even then...
DLSS 3 is LL only.

DLSS3.png

$1910 for you guys in the UK.

1663692901781.png

No pricing in Germany yet.

1663692956529.png

Yeah, that looked pretty sweet. I loved Morrowind and would be fun to play it enhanced. We´ll probably see this very fast on old games. I hope Kotor is one of the first. :)

DLSS 3 also looked useful.
Great performance increase if true.

But, so far in this presentation, there is no killer feature that I personally need. Perhaps raytracing in VR once it gets implemented.

With miners gone, I have no reason not to wait until AMD launches the 7XXX series before I decide what to get this generation. And even then wait a bit until I see what AIBs offer, how they perform and sound.
So many great games that are from the late 90's to early 00's could benefit. I think there are a lot of them which lack that retro early 3D and 2D-sprite nostalgia of slightly older games (like mid 90's or earlier). Morrowind, System Shock 2, Episode I racer, KOTOR, Deus Ex, Jedi Knight 2, Max Payne, Red Faction, No One Lives Forever... so many games that I'd love to replay with a visual upgrade.

I'm with you though, might as well wait for AMD to launch now. There's a pile of powerful cards on the market and no more mining. Prices can only go down if AMD launches something to undercut Nvidia.

Last edited:
Will these cards actually be available to purchase at launch or soon after at MRSP? Or are we talking having to wait 12 months and only scalpers selling for double markup will be available?

Will these cards actually be available to purchase at launch or soon after at MRSP? Or are we talking having to wait 12 months and only scalpers selling for double markup will be available?
Given that there are still supply chain issues, especially in Asia, the outlook is not great.

Also, with mining basically over, grifters are going to be looking for something new (scalping?).

/s (but only slightly)

ASUS is showing off the Strix and TUF 4090's at ROG Global on Youtube.... spoiler alert, they are THICC!

The card is bigger than he is.

Though, I'm a bit disappointed with their comparisons. RTX + DLSS on vs a 3 series with DLSS off.

Though, I'll still probably buy, assuming I can find one. Even without mining, more people are scalping than ever. If I don't find one, oh well.

Nvidia has been stocking these cards, since August

but is there any difference performance wise or in terms of heat etc with using the adaptor versus using a new PSU with the updated connector?
This is from CoolerMaster on ATX 3.0 PSUs.

ATX 3.0 PSU spec changes.

Revision/Enhancement of the ATX 3.0
When we look at ATX 3.0, we know that the power excursion will be up to 200% peak power on the power supply, which is the biggest changes from the past. Now, in order to hit this 200% of peak power, the 12VHPWR connector is required to be able to hit that benchmark. The most important changes is the 12V connector named “12VHPWR” which includes 12 Pin + 4 signal connector. And the function of the 4 pin signal can let the GPU card recognize how many wattage can supply the overall system from the power supply.

All the reasons why EVGA cannot compete when the company gets slaughtered in both the high-end and low-end market.
ASUS-ROG-STRIX-OC-1.jpg

High-end is niche but a company cannot survive when the low-end gets saturated by Lenovo alike.
Lenovo-Legion-GeForce-RTX-4090-Graphics-Card-low_res-scale-4_00x-_1-Custom.png

Yeah, I think I'll stick to my policy of skipping generations unless there is something major. I liked how in the price chart they conveniently left out the current prices of 3080/3070 lol They wouldn't even mention prices of older products in presentations past. Bring it on AMD, give me a R300 moment. I'll give your drivers a chance =)

Last edited:
Yea this is going to make 4K gaming much more playable now with all settings cranked. Don't think I'm gonna wait another 2 years for 5xxx series.

The way that they did their product lineup is shady. The bottom tier 4080 ($899) looks like it should be a 4060 or 4070 with the CUDA cores and memory. Yet they listed it as a 4080 and priced it $200 above what a 3080 MSRPed for 2 years ago ($699). If you look at the 3070 pricing of $499 it's $400 more expensive. The 3060's were $329 at launch. At 7680 CUDA cores the bottom tier 4080 has LESS CUDA cores than a 3080 which has 8704 CUDA cores. That doesn't make sense.

Is there any real reason DLSS 3 is software locked? Interpolating frame data and inserting two new frames from that algorithm sounds like it could be done on regular old tensor cores or am I wrong? Interpolation is a really good idea, but it'll be a little strange not having your latency match your "framerate."

Last edited:
The way that they did their product lineup is shady. The bottom tier 4080 ($899) looks like it should be a 4060 or 4070 with the CUDA cores and memory. Yet they listed it as a 4080 and priced it $200 above what a 3080 MSRPed for 2 years ago ($699). If you look at the 3070 pricing of $499 it's $400 more expensive. The 3060's were $329 at launch. At 7680 CUDA cores the bottom tier 4080 has LESS CUDA cores than a 3080 which has 8704 CUDA cores. That doesn't make sense.
Unless their tensor cores are somehow massively different it really doesn't make sense. My assumption right now is DLSS 3.0 doesn't require special hardware, it's interpolation data which tensor cores do. Nvidia is trying to sell DLSS 3.0 as the major seller, but at the moment I'm having a hard time believing it couldn't be run on 3000 series cards. In all likelihood they know their audience, and know people will shell out cash for this stuff regardless. Nvidia really feels more like a software company every generation.

Unless their tensor cores are somehow massively different it really doesn't make sense. My assumption right now is DLSS 3.0 doesn't require special hardware, it's interpolation data which tensor cores do. Nvidia is trying to sell DLSS 3.0 as the major seller, but at the moment I'm having a hard time believing it couldn't be run on 3000 series cards. In all likelihood they know their audience, and know people will shell out cash for this stuff regardless. I
Did you even watch the presentation that outlines the special hardware unique to 40 series making DLSS 3 possible?

Did you even watch the presentation that outlines the special hardware unique to 40 series making DLSS 3 possible?
It's a marketing presentation brother, I doubt their new tensor core makes interpolation possible. It is possible that's the case but I'm skeptical of anything directly from that presentation.

Unless their tensor cores are somehow massively different it really doesn't make sense.
The marketing sell are new Optical Flow Accelerator, that create motion vector by themselve instead of having to rely on the game on things game did not provide motion vector usually (shadow, particle, reflection, lighting, i.e. stuff that often had artifact issues), it is not only helping supersampling the generated frame like before but a significantly new things, generate full in between frame that do not "exist" from the game engine.

I feel like DSSL on Pascal, this could be the type of things that could have ran on the previous gen (maybe not has well), but no effort was made because not doing it was well aligned with the marketing-sales side of things, but what do I know, it is a quite big leap different enough to not sound too crazy at least.

https://developer.nvidia.com/opticalflow-sdk
At least the optical flow sdk ran on Turing, Ampere and Ada, leaving quite open the could have ran on them has well.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to my policy of skipping generations unless there is something major. I liked how in the price chart they conveniently left out the current prices of 3080/3070 lol They wouldn't even mention prices of older products in presentations past. Bring it on AMD, give me a R300 moment. I'll give your drivers a chance =)
Yes lord! I would love another R300 moment from team red. It has been 20 years now. Crazy. I remember Kyle or whoever testing a pre release sample at quakecon that year.:cool: Maybe just maybe Navi 31 can give us a few flashes of some of that R300 glory. ;)

Back