RTX 4xxx / RX 7xxx speculation

Nebell

2[H]4U
Benchmarks need to be retested with 6900 XTXH.
That card is faster than RTX 3090 in most games.

lukeintheo

n00b
I really don't believe a new GPU series any time soon. Why would they release something if the current gen is selling like water in the desert?

DPI

[H]F Junkie
I really don't believe a new GPU series any time soon. Why would they release something if the current gen is selling like water in the desert?
Because a new gen may be cheaper or slightly easier to produce, smaller node, and possibly with decreased component supply dependencies = better margins and greater volume. When the 3000 series was taped out, component supply considerations were different than today.

There are a ton of factors to profitability than just coasting. Doing the same thing too long means falling behind after a certain point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wat
like this

pippenainteasy

[H]ard|Gawd
Well this was inevitable. Nvidia has too much die space reserved for non-raster performance. Even if AMD was stuck on the same node with the same die size as Nvidia, their strategy would beat Nvidia in gaming easily.

It will be interesting if gddr7 will be ready by that time. Of not, we will likely see more use of gddr6x in the midrange for Nvidia or perhaps a form of game cache akin to AMD.

If we do see gddr6x, I predict we will still have 12 GB of vram on the very high 384 bit gaming cards (4080ti). On the 256 bit options (4070 or 4080), we will likely see 8 and 16 GB options.

The upper mid range should get 12 GB gddr6x at 192 bits (4060ti) and likely faster than a 3070. Lower midrange (4060) may get 6 and 12 GB of generic gddr6 running 192 bits.

OutOfPhase

Supreme [H]ardness
Well this was inevitable. Nvidia has too much die space reserved for non-raster performance. Even if AMD was stuck on the same node with the same die size as Nvidia, their strategy would beat Nvidia in gaming easily.
It will be interesting to see if NV continues this press on "things other than raw rasterization performance".
My guess - yes, and double down on getting DLSS integrated in games. They are really good about things like that, to the point of even dedicating their own engineers to integrate it for you if needed (if you're a player).

The combo of DLSS + raytracing IS really great - if and only if they're used well.

And that's the rub. We're at this point, and I'd say 3 titles do this very well. Others may have a "raytracing" checkbox which does very little. Far Cry 6 is a great example. You can turn on raytracing. It doesn't have a crippling impact on performance, so yay, but also - unbelievably small improvement. Of course that's an AMD sponsored title. Draw your own conclusions.

The next 2 generations will be very interesting in terms of how they allocate die space, what becomes the priority. And of course, those decisions are already made and the designs are in-flight right now.
Sweet lord am I glad I am not making these calls. Although - I'd be making a lot more, possibly with a golden parachute.