RTX 4090 on my system: Possible?

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,
I am thinking about replacing my 2080 Super, with RTX 4090. Can my system handle this GPU? (PSU, etc.)
Thanks!

If you get the stock 450W version and don't plan on overclocking, probably. Why wouldn't you upgrade the rest of your system first? It's getting a bit long in the tooth...

You don’t see many people using a quad core or a sound card these days. But I think a 4090 will for sure push the CPU bottleneck to the limit. You might want to game at 8k lol.

Hello all,
I am thinking about replacing my 2080 Super, with RTX 4090. Can my system handle this GPU? (PSU, etc.)
Thanks!
850w is the minimum for some model, make sure to look for your specific model:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/1200w-power-requirement-rtx-4090

For them considering the reasonable watt usage of your CPU under gaming load, the really good brand and the platinium rating of your power supply, I imagine it would work.

But, obviously, try to look if it make sense such card on such CPU before,

Have you not looked at reviews? Even the fastest cpus out there are holding back a 4090 and even at 4k in some cases. Putting a $1500 4090 with a 7700k would be beyond stupid.

Last edited:
I am think about change 3060 to 4090 but i think my PSU is not powerful to keep it working. I have bronze + 750W.

I am think about change 3060 to 4090 but i think my PSU is not powerful to keep it working. I have bronze + 750W.
I am think the rest of your system matters too. Any system worthy enough to run a 4090 should have a highly rated 850 watt psu at minimum and really 1000 watts is better.

I am think the rest of your system matters too. Any system worthy enough to run a 4090 should have a highly rated 850 watt psu at minimum and really 1000 watts is better.
I have aorus pro mobo with x570 chipset, ryzen 7 5800x, 64 GB RAM 3600,

I have aorus pro mobo with x570 chipset, ryzen 7 5800x, 64 GB RAM 3600,
I would sell the 5800x and get a 5800x 3d and a quality 1000 watt psu if you really want the 4090 and then you would be set for quite a while. I hope you plan on playing at 4k though now as you certainly were not on that 3060.

I would sell the 5800x and get a 5800x 3d and a quality 1000 watt psu if you really want the 4090 and then you would be set for quite a while. I hope you plan on playing at 4k though now as you certainly were not on that 3060.
I play 4K games but i need something to edit 4K videos in Sony Vegas, Da Vinci etc.

Hello all,
Thanks!

I think of it in his way: if you were planning a new build and want a 4090, you could start with the just the GPU for now and test it in your current system. I would have a game plan to upgrade everything as you’re able though - otherwise you’ll never get your “money’s worth” out of that 4090.

I would see what AMD comes out with first. The issue with the 4090 is that it can do like 200 FPS at 4K. However, it lacks a display interface that can really do 4K at such high FPS's with out DSC.

Last edited:
I would see what AMD comes out with first. The issue with the 4090 is that it can do like 200 FPS at 4K. However, it lacks a display interface that can really do 4K at such high FPS's with out DSC.
I am very sensitive to all sorts of artifacts but with DSC I cannot really tell what image quality loss I should look. When I got the monitor with DSC I tried to spot it, research it but nothing. It just looks all normal to my eyes, no visual quality loss. Otherwise 2160p@160Hz is pretty sweet. And of course Nvidia not future-proofing their new GPU is so Nvidia of them. Then we will have people having to buy RTX 5K series GPU if they want to get better monitor. Business as usual.

System-wise I would worry about my Core i9 9900K being too old and weak for RTX 4090 and it is a tiny bit better than Core i7 7700K with half the cores. PSU @ 750W, no way I would not upgrade it. CPU itself can eat >200W, then add GPU which hits 500W, all the hard disks and other stuff... it would sooner or later gigabyte on me...

Your system will bottleneck a 6800/6900 and and a 3080/3090 let alone a 4090 :p

I would do a full upgrade and keep same GPU and then wait for prices to fall a bit and maybe snag a next gen card next year.

OP has a 4k monitor. Unlike at lower resolutions, their CPU probably won't be a huge bottleneck. 4090 data isn't available yet but it's only a 15% hit on the 3090. At anything lower than 4k the hit would be ugly though.

Unless one of their games is heavily CPU intensive they can probably wait another generation to upgrade. Or at least until DDR5 and AM5 mobos are less stupidly expensive.

A 4090 is 8-10x faster than a 2080. Even if it bottlenecks 25% vs 15% for a 3090, it'll still be 6-7.5x faster; which is way more of a gain that a better CPU would offer. That said it might not be a bad idea to wait another month or two and just get a 4080 instead.

https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/result/0KR176/3840x2160/1/general-tasks

Reactions: Wat
like this
Reviews mentioned hitting CPU bottlenecks in some games even at 4K and with the latest CPUs. I just think it's well beyond silly to put a $1,600 GPU with an older four core 8 thread CPU. If you're paying for bleeding edge GPU performance then the rest of your system should be able to get you all of that performance.

You can undervolt the 4090, not the most frames per dollar but I don't think your power supply will be overwhelmed and consistently shutting down the PC.

You can undervolt the 4090, not the most frames per dollar but I don't think your power supply will be overwhelmed and consistently shutting down the PC.
Undervolting seems to behave a bit differently on the 40 series so I would not advise it until we learn a little bit more.

Yeah, you might look into that some as the clock generators do not seen to play nice like those have on the past.

Like others said, you will need to upgrade your CPU, because an i7 7700k is a somewhat ancient CPU and it will most likely will bottleneck a 4090 and your PSU may not be sufficient enough either as I heard a minimum of 1000W is required to run a 4090.

If you can afford a 4090 surely you can afford a new CPU and PSU along with the latest gadgets in order to get maximum performance of a 4090.

A 4090 is 8-10x faster than a 2080.
RTX 4090 is ~3 times faster in rasterization than RTX 2080 and seems to be slightly over 4x faster in RT. Maybe in something like Quake RTX the difference would be more but I doubt to get anywhere close to 8-10x performance.

This is for 2080 and not 2080 Super so the difference between OP GPU and 4090 is slightly less... not that it matters with these scales but still. Not close to 8-10x.

RTX 4090 is ~3 times faster in rasterization than RTX 2080 and seems to be slightly over 4x faster in RT. Maybe in something like Quake RTX the difference would be more but I doubt to get anywhere close to 8-10x performance.

This is for 2080 and not 2080 Super so the difference between OP GPU and 4090 is slightly less... not that it matters with these scales but still. Not close to 8-10x.
My Intel 12900K + 4090 gets about 4x the performance of my AMD 2950x with a 2080TI in Quake 2 RTX.

RTX is heavy GPU bound. But I still think there is more life in the 2080ti with a platform upgrade and then wait to see what the 4080 cards bring

RTX is heavy GPU bound. But I still think there is more life in the 2080ti with a platform upgrade and then wait to see what the 4080 cards bring
Ray tracing stresses your entire PC. Main memory can be a big bottleneck when using ray tracing. The high bandwidth of DDR5 has shown to be a boon in multiple game benchmarks, including Spider-Man.

Most important question is: why would you spend $1600 (in your dreams 😵) on GPU and not spend anything on rest of the system?

In either way it is actually very easy to test how much performance more or less you would get from RTX 4090: just run games in 1080p and see how they run.
And you can go even lower to 720p

Just for sanity and eye-health sake please use integer scaling.

I guess the biggest question I have is, can the case even fit this card? I'm unsure of the CORSAIR Crystal Series 570X RGB ATX Mid-Tower Case dimensions. All I can tell you is the 4090 is a huge card. Like, take your 2080, and can you put another one of them side by side inside the case?

I saw someone posting Port Royal benchmarks using a 3700x and RTX 4090 , they were hitting over 25,000

You don’t see many people using a quad core or a sound card these days. But I think a 4090 will for sure push the CPU bottleneck to the limit. You might want to game at 8k lol.
i run a soundcard! 🙋‍♂️ gotta have it. when i finally had to upgrade my old audigy 4 pro because my new mobo didn't have any pci slots i tried mobo audio for a couple weeks because it was suppose to be some super good this or that, but naaa. just aint the same. but i've also got a pretty beast audio setup and mess with hi-res audio and watch movies up and stuff up here too. so i guess if you were just using some little dinky amazon special desktop speakers you prob wouldn't notice as much a difference.

i do agree tho that op needs to upgrade that quad core. it's time. may even see better performance out of existing card.

i run a soundcard! 🙋‍♂️ gotta have it. when i finally had to upgrade my old audigy 4 pro because my new mobo didn't have any pci slots i tried mobo audio for a couple weeks because it was suppose to be some super good this or that, but naaa. just aint the same. but i've also got a pretty beast audio setup and mess with hi-res audio and watch movies up and stuff up here too. so i guess if you were just using some little dinky amazon special desktop speakers you prob wouldn't notice as much a difference.

i do agree tho that op needs to upgrade that quad core. it's time. may even see better performance out of existing card.

I was more referring to PC switch mode power supplies + all the poorly shielded electronics crammed into a tiny space limiting the upper range of sound quality you will get from a PC through an analog source. Going digital from a PC is a much better place to be if you are using a high end sound system from a content user perspective. Sure if you are a producer, then you might have to use a mixer, but I wouldn't use anything without fully balanced XLR outputs.

Relevant benchmark results for people with older systems like myself
relative-performance_3840-2160.png

RTX 3080 for comparison
relative-performance_1920-1080.png

As expected the faster the card the more difference being on older PCI-E or using less lanes makes.
Similar charts could be constructed for CPU's and it would show the same trend, just with bigger differences.

ps. At 4K differences are slightly smaller so I took 1080p results.

Can someone explain this:

On my current system (see signature), with 2080 Super, I get 60+ (mostly 70 to low 80s) FPS while playing Modern Warfare 2019 with EVERYTHING ON (Raytracing, DLSS, Ultra Textures) at 3840x2160 resolution on my 4K Sony.

Seems like my system can handle the coming MW2 fairly well on this current system, or so I hope!

Possible? Yes.
Recommended (with that CPU)? No.

Ray Tracing and newer games scale with CPU cores. Definitely recommend upgrading that CPU to either an AM5 or Intel 13th gen CPU prior to 4090 upgrade.

Possible? Yes.
Recommended (with that CPU)? No.

Ray Tracing and newer games scale with CPU cores. Definitely recommend upgrading that CPU to either an AM5 or Intel 13th gen CPU prior to 4090 upgrade.
I think it's more raw CPU power than cores. For example a 5600x would crap all over an 1800x.

I think it's more raw CPU power than cores. For example a 5600x would crap all over an 1800x.
That's why I recommended AM5 or Intel 13th gen. Both are thoroughly modern CPU uarchs and will handle a 4090 just fine.

Can someone explain this:

On my current system (see signature), with 2080 Super, I get 60+ (mostly 70 to low 80s) FPS while playing Modern Warfare 2019 with EVERYTHING ON (Raytracing, DLSS, Ultra Textures) at 3840x2160 resolution on my 4K Sony.

Seems like my system can handle the coming MW2 fairly well on this current system, or so I hope!
Historically CoD has been more geared towards running on the most systems rather than the eye-candy.

Back