Rtx 3090 and 9700K underperforming in Crysis Remaster.

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi. Pc:
9700K stock 4600mhz
Aorus Z390 Pro Gaming
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL
Palit Rtx 3090 Pro Gaming
Seasonic 750W-TX Ultra Platinum Prime

I compared my fps in Crysis Remaster with somebody < link above >. There are moments like 1:11 when he have 65fps and i 50fps. And in other moments i have 15 fps lower. I doubt its because cpu difference? He have CPU: i9-10900K to 5.2ghz.

Also i tested other games and benchmarks and in other games my fps are fine the same. Only in this Crysis Remaster. Anybody know why i have less fps?

It absolutely could be CPU and RAM speed difference.

Also Crysis remaster has been a bit crappy in terms of threaded utilization.

Its not cpu, he get the same fps and weird gpu usage drops, like me on 10900K with rtx 3090 look:

Hey. But when i run first minutes the game i have identical fps like him. After 2 minutes when i turn around few times,gpu load just drops and then i have 10 fps less. SO i doubt its cpu . Maybe should i update mobo bios?

GPU load % drops can also be directly related to cpu/memory. If the cpu/memory can't feed the gpu with enough data periodically, then the gpu idles more because it's waiting on something to do, thus the load % goes down. If the gpu idles too much, it may go into low power 3D mode (if available), which is typically indicated by large clock drops.

If anything, low GPU load % confirms the problem lies elsewhere. As already stated, could just be simply that the engine is poorly optimized and neither the CPU or GPU is at fault. If you've got 50% or less loads on either (at maximum clocks), then that, to me, indicates a software issue.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
F12K
  1. Fix CPU Vcore and power behavior
Maybe try? What is power behavior ( related to gpu load drops ) ?

I can assure you that has nothing to do with the GPU. Probably affects C-states vs power draw (aka power management). Probably a lookup table adjustment.

If you want to eliminate variables, ensure Windows Power Plan is set to High Performance. Also ensure 'Power management mode' is set to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' in the Nvidia Control panel. That should help your clocks stay high even when under idle scenarios.

First 2 minutes and i have perfectly smooth fps. After moment i look at gpu usage and its 50-60% and fps are less. Until again i restart game. Maybe Windows 10 issue?

One other thing worth mentioning is that average CPU load % across all available logical CPUs doesn't imply the CPU isn't maxed out. So be careful how you interpret CPU % load. If a single thread is pegging 90%+, then you have a CPU bottleneck issue regardless of how many cores/threads are available. The CPU itself can't keep up with that thread. This is also a software issue that probably can't be solved by existing hardware, although overclocking the CPU can buy you a few more %.

This is a common indicator of a 'poorly optimized' engine.

First 2 minutes and i have perfectly smooth fps. After moment i look at gpu usage and its 50-60% and fps are less. Until again i restart game. Maybe Windows 10 issue?

I seem to recall Gamers Nexus reporting on an issue where non-HT cpus (Intel) would have massive framerate drops for certain games. I don't recall the root cause specifically, but the 8600k and 9700k were affected. Again, the 8700k and 9900k did not exhibit this issue, so it was definitely due to non-HT (which is strange in itself).

Last edited:

Its on

10980xe and the same issue with 30 fps when looking at large distance​

I found out issue. It was after i installed Windows 2004 update. Is any way to uninstall?

Its on

10980xe and the same issue with 30 fps when looking at large distance​

Core 1 is pegged at 99%. No wonder the framerate tanks.

Definitely an engine optimization issue.

Single threaded performance is king here.

Last edited:
Hi. Pc:
9700K stock 4600mhz
Aorus Z390 Pro Gaming
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL
Palit Rtx 3090 Pro Gaming
Seasonic 750W-TX Ultra Platinum Prime

I compared my fps in Crysis Remaster with somebody < link above >. There are moments like 1:11 when he have 65fps and i 50fps. And in other moments i have 15 fps lower. I doubt its because cpu difference? He have CPU: i9-10900K to 5.2ghz.

Also i tested other games and benchmarks and in other games my fps are fine the same. Only in this Crysis Remaster. Anybody know why i have less fps?

Its likely CPU difference. Not only does the 10900k have more threads, more mhz, more cache, it also has a more advanced boost system. It likely holds its boost clocks longer.

However, the Z chipsets have allowed you to tweak the boost behavior, since Skylake. You should be able to tweak your motherboard so that your CPU maintains boost clocks almost indefinitely, as long as your cooling is sufficient.

If you really have a fairly precise 2 minute window until your framerate starts to drop, that suggest to me 3 things: 1. stock boost behavior maxed out and dropped down your CPU speed. 2. heat throttling somewhere 3. power supply not able to sustain the load. I know you have a really nice 750w. But I keep hearing that Ampere can have dynamic power spikes which many power supplies can't handle.

If power supply is bad then shutdown or restart and on other games same issue will be not on 1 game. Also something broked Crysis performance after update 2004 windows. I am formatting now and installing whole all again.

Before 2004v i had smooth fps and no drops everywhere. Also had one crash after death,screen freezed and i kill process by ctrl alt delete. Hope its not because of card.
Formatting time.

No one seems to have mentioned this:
What are you running in the background?

When I had the 9700k I had issues when running slack, or a few other random pieces of software in the background, once I closed those it was fine. This was one of the reasons I moved to the 9900k

Nothing in background like always. Also it happened after update 2002v. But i revert to 1909 still lower fps. I am updating now to october update. If that doesnt help. FOrmat.

Also no worry about that one crash after death?There was not display driver crash , just simple hang up freeze and i forced to kill process in ctrl alt delete.

Card was tested in unigine heaven,3dmark ,Control,Metro Exodus no single crash.

Last edited:
I think you are focusing too much on this game, it's not well optimized. Compare over a few different games and synthetic benchmarks and if you are within the same ballpark as other 3090s with a similar CPU stop worrying and just play the games you enjoy.

This is a 2006 game engine that was designed around dual core CPUs. Of course performance is gonna be bad unless you have a LN2 cooled 10ghz cpu.

22:00...guy get the same drops to 30fps and gpu usage drops to 50-60% when looking at some distance. He have 10900K. So why on most better cpu he get the same drops like me on 9700K?

OP: what's the cooling solution for your 9700K, do you have a basic air cooler, a large air cooler, a small AiO closed loop water cooler, a large AiO, or a custom water loop? If you have sufficient electrical and thermal overhead then try forcing your CPU into a permanent state of boost at 5.0 or 5.1GHz without letting it downclock.

Also, what are the sustained temperatures and clocks for your GPU? There's a difference between how heavily a GPU is loaded and the clockspeed of the GPU.

I'll say it just like others already did:

This game is shit for optimization. It runs on TWO threads. Those threads max out? Your GPU utilization tanks. It's a game engine limitation that likely won't ever be fixed.

It does it on my 10940X at 4.7 GHz, it does it on EVERYONE ELSE'S computer as well.

I'd suggest running it at a much lower resolution to help keep your FPS higher - 1080P will run a lot smoother.

another vote for "poor game engine optimization"

if it's anything like the original Crysis, it'll run at 30fps low on a potato yet 60fps max will be unobtainable on any computer that humanity will ever create*. seriously it's gonna be like year 2106 and people will be like "we finally hit vsync in Crysis, it took a 50Ghz optical computer but we did it!"

* I remember when it first came out, one of my secondary systems with a single core Pentium 4 and a Radeon 2600 happily ran it on medium settings yet somehow my main system with an overclocked Athlon X2 and SLI GeForce 8800GT's chugged at max

Last edited:
Stop playing Crysis, its a terible fking engine or accept the craptastic threading.

using crysis remastered to guage your gaming performance is just plain dumb. I don't think you'll find anyone here that thinks the game is designed well from an engine perspective.

It is DX 11, on Can It Run Crysis settings it has way more level of detail drawing objects way out into the horizon. You're seeing draw call limitations with the limited threads for DX 11 for draw calls. Set it to lower settings and you will be able to go above 100fps with that 3090. API limited. Their using Vulkan on top of DX 11 for RT, just seems like very weird choices but they probably have their reasons. Too bad it was not 100% Vulkan. Will be interesting how Zen 3 can handle this game. Probably a good test for it.

Now outside rendering is done rather well, looks great, still like the physics better than most games with the destructible environment.

Last edited:
Ok thank you guys. I will stop testing only in this game. In other games my 3090 performs fantastic smooth with 9700K hehe :)

I told you something is faked up in my system.
Or my friend damage something in pc,he was plugging all pc.

Here is my screen with 2080 Ti and 9700K stock. 1440P,all V.HIGH,vegetation medium,water medium 79FPS, usage 90%

PA16dAB.jpg

And gues what? I am on the same place with rtx 3090 and i am getting the same framerate exactly on the same details and gpu usage is faked up 60% and not 90%.

Any ideas? System is fresh , after format. Updated.

ps:
9700K cpuz benchmark good scores,3dmark physics good scores.
3dmark gpu scores,metro exodus,quake 2 rtx,control are excellent performing with Rtx 3090 , 50% better than my previous 2080 TI.
Only Crysis Remaster is working worst now.

Last edited:
If the frame rate is the same between the two cards but GPU utilization is down, have you looked to see if a frame rate cap has been put in place somewhere?

That might do it.

This might be done in game (or via a config file), via the Nvidia control panel, or through a third party app like Riva Tuner.

i never frame rate cap , i dont know why now i have 60% usage in this place

I switch from raytracing performance to ray tracing CAN IT RUN CRYSIS ( the highest ) and i am gettin there 80fps with usage 97% good. LOL.

Last edited:
sd.jpg

Ok maked again gpu usage higher. Just maxed all settings to CAN IT RUN CRYSIS,only vegetation to MEDIUM. 1440P.
now its ok.

i never frame rate cap , i dont know why now i have 60% usage in this place

I switch from raytracing performance to ray tracing CAN IT RUN CRYSIS ( the highest ) and i am gettin there 80fps with usage 97% good. LOL.
What’s the refresh rate of your monitor?

Could their be a cap in the game you are unaware of?

monito 1440P is 144hz. Also the weirdest thing is , cpu usage is always 98% only in 4k ( upscaled ). But monitor is native 1440P 144hz.
Is this possible that stronger gpu 3090 producing more frames and its hard to handle by cpu?

Have problem in this Remaster only. In other games no issues like that.

Just the limitation of the game engine, can't fully use your CPU to fully feed your 3090. If the game engine could use more CPU cores to feed the shaders/geometry/textures to the GPU etc. your fps would be much higher with the 3090 at 99%-100% GPU usage. At higher graphical settings with more objects, higher textures and more enhanced shaders it just can't feed your 3090. Nothing you can do, your card looks fine.

This is a 2006 game engine that was designed around dual core CPUs. Of course performance is gonna be bad unless you have a LN2 cooled 10ghz cpu.
Back in the pre-multi-core days I had a series of dual socket rigs. A lot of games ran better if they were pinned to a single CPU. Unreal Tournament, the original 1999 version, was pretty much the poster child for this problem. Run it on a dual socket machine and it was lag-glitch-lag-glitch. Pin it to one CPU in task manager and it ran great. It's also theoretically possible to write a program that runs best with two threads on the same hyperthreaded core. At any rate, I'd try messing around with the affinity settings. You can alt-tab out and use task manager or use the /affinity flag on the start command from the command prompt. If it's really just a 2006 engine with better textures, etc. I'd start by trying 2 threads. 2006 was in the single to multi-core transition period but P4s with hyperthreading were common. You might also try 1 thread. In 2006 multi-core was just getting going, and game devs would still be supporting hardware from a couple years ago.

everyone is saying this game is pure crap and is not optimized at all, seems like a steaming pile of rushed crap..

When i start game gpu usage is fine 95+usage. But when i more playing,moving on area,then it suddenly dropping to 60-70 and jumping 60-70-60-80% even when standing on the same place. Can you explain me this gpu usage jumping? Is this game issue or my cpu?

But how do you explain me that after 10-15 minutes of playing my gpu usage stuck at 40-50% at 1440P? I must restart game to fix usage. Hmm?

Last edited:
When i start game gpu usage is fine 95+usage. But when i more playing,moving on area,then it suddenly dropping to 60-70 and jumping 60-70-60-80% even when standing on the same place. Can you explain me this gpu usage jumping? Is this game issue or my cpu?

But how do you explain me that after 10-15 minutes of playing my gpu usage stuck at 40-50% at 1440P? I must restart game to fix usage. Hmm?
Is your frame rate changing during this time or does it stay locked at the 79-80fps the whole time like you mentioned earlier?

Is it ever going above that frame rate during this time, especially at the lower GPU usage?

Back