Rtx 3090 - 3x8pin connector - 3 separate cables?question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello. I have a question. Maybe i will buy Rtx 3090 Aorus Xtreme with 3x8 pin connector. My question is how to plug it?
I mean it will need 3 separate cables from psu ? If card have 2x8pin it need 2 separate cables. But what with 3x8 pin? Thx

Psu will be Seasonic 1000W TX Ultra Plus Platinum

This is just setting the power limit to 119% on an evga ftw3. I would expect the asus card to pull 420-440 range stock. Note the power pulled by each plug. Using a splitter would be ill-advised as some PSU may use a thinner lower guage wires and you can find yourself in a situation where the draw may melt those wires.

gpu-z-488w.gif

Hmm you said:" where the draw may melt those wires." I dont understand,can you explain?

Ok. So just use 3 pcie separate cables from psu ,right? ( without splitter )

Psu will be Seasonic Titanium Ultra Tx-1000W

Last edited:
Your video card will draw power from the PSU via its 8 pin connectors. If you use a splitter on 1 8-pin connector to feed 2 8-pin connectors, you are subjecting that set of wires to a potential draw of almost 300W, which is the cusp of what the wires can handle current wise; ie the wire sheath will melt and the exposed wires will short and cause a FIRE.

The short of it is; use 3 separate 8-pin power connectors from 3 separate sources on your PSU.

If your PSU does not support this, or the rail for the 12V on the PSU is insufficient to feed a potential 450W load (150W per 8-pin is 12A per 12V), so you need a potential 36A on the 12V rail. Keep in mind your hdd/ssd/mobo all pull some power from the 12V rail as well, so people running 750W PSU are at risk of pushing their system close to that wattage rating. My general rule of thumb is to keep wattage use to a max of 80% of the rating of the PSU, its akin to your engine on your car, you don't use up all 700hp all the time save you like rebuilding your engine after every few track sessions...

Last edited:
Ok. So just use 3 pcie separate cables from psu ,right? ( without splitter )

This is one of those weird things I've been wondering about, too. Seems like whenever anyone asks (like here, Reddit, Tom's, etc.), opinions are split down the middle.
Some people swear you just need to plug in two unique PCIE cables (both forks of one, and one from the other), while other people insist that it's going to be catastrophic and you need 3 totally separate cables. The fact that just about every PCIE cable has 2 forks complicates things even further.
Are there any resources that test one vs. the other?

Hello. I have a question. Maybe i will buy Rtx 3090 Aorus Xtreme with 3x8 pin connector. My question is how to plug it?
I mean it will need 3 separate cables from psu ? If card have 2x8pin it need 2 separate cables. But what with 3x8 pin? Thx

Psu will be Seasonic 1000W TX Ultra Plus Platinum
That PSU comes with six PCIE 8 pin plugs. Just use 3 of them.

Wait.
There is no such power supply that exists with that name.
TX means Titanium. You can't have a platinum titanium power supply. You need to get your information correct.

The current model is called 'OneSeasonic' Prime TX-1000, which is Titanium.
The platinum model is Prime PX-1000. These both come with 6 separate PCIE connectors. NONE are split--they are all separate, so users cannot burn out their cables doing "1 into 2" anymore.

The older models are "Prime Ultra Titanium" and Prime Ultra Platinum. These came out before the OneSeasonic initiative, and they come with both single 8 pin connectors and I think two cables are split into 1 into two 8 pins.
If you use the split cables, you must only plug ONE cable into the video card! Then use a separate cable for the next plug. Do not use a split cable into two video card PCIE ports! So, ignore the "second" split connector and treat the cable as a *SINGLE* 8 pin only.

So you need *THREE* separate PCIE cables coming from the PSU, to three 8 pins.

Last edited:
Id say 1200 watts minumum make sure power requirement and separate connectors. Like to be on the safe side.

Id say 1200 watts minumum make sure power requirement and separate connectors. Like to be on the safe side.

1200 watts isn't necessary unless you are on some HEDT or 28 thread+ 400W+CPU. I have no problem with a PX-1000 Platinum PSU handling a 540W TDP 3090 FE (shunt mod). Note I am using the official Seasonic 12 pin cable also.

Yes it will be fine unless you plan to overclock the shit out of both the CPU and GPU at the same time and even then 1000W is probably perfectly fine.

Yeah 1200W is not the minimum. A solid 650W is fine - sweet spot is 750W or higher.

People saying the wires will melt etc are exaggerating. I have a Strix 3080 and use 2 x 8 pin with one of them split to feed two inputs on the card. I can get 2100-2160 mhz stable with a draw of 420W and not worry at all. For reference i have a Corsair ax1200i that’s like 7 years old and not breaking a sweat.

Ok thank you for replies and helping me. Really appreciate it. All is clear, i am closing topic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back