RTX 3080 Official Unboxing from Nvidia

Probably never. The 12 pin is rated for 600W plus the card can get an additional 75W (65W if you don't want to bother with a separate 3.3V circuit) from the PCIe slot. Cooling/noise limits are going to stop consumer cards from ever going that high.
Really? I dont know why but I thought the 8 pin connectors were only rated at 150W each

The rear fan is going to dump air towards your CPU. If you use an air cooler, the fan on it will need to deal with heat from the GPU. The other GPU fan will send heat out of the case.
I don't use an air cooler.

Also there are no thermals out yet that have shown how much heat the rear fan will dump out, Its at the back end of the heat pipes so it could be less than what the other fan ejects from the case.
I have exhaust fans right above a MITX MB, the rear GPU fan will vent right there and mostly miss even the RAM.
Having half of the heat dumped out by the GPU itself would help. I can't see why it would not.

Really? I dont know why but I thought the 8 pin connectors were only rated at 150W each

They are. And if you used the 12 to 2x8 pin adapter on a card that wanted to pull 600W over the 12 pin plug bad things would probably happen. Although in a good PSU the bad thing would be an over current sensor tripping and shutting your system down; not something overheating and melting or bursting into flames.

But the adapter can safely support a 375W card without going out of spec; and probably a fair bit more because high end PSU makers are aware of overclocked cards that draw more than the rated 150W through an 8pin and build in enough safety margin to handle it. RTX 3090 is a 350W card; so the dual adapter is safe for it. OEMs making models with significant overclocks may have to use 3x8 or 12+8 on the card itself, or include a 3x8 to 12 adapter to feed the beast.

Note that the 12pin power adapter is only needed for the Nvidia FE cards. The AIB cards will not be using the 12 pin interface.

Note that the 12pin power adapter is only needed for the Nvidia FE cards. The AIB cards will not be using the 12 pin interface.

... yet.

Whether it starts to happen in 2-3 months when the custom PCB cards come out, next year when the 30xx series refresh (Ti, or Super, or WTH they decide to call it), or 2 years from now when the 40xx series launch, it's probably inevitable for higher power cards. It permanently drops the cost of the card BOM - mandatory adapter cables will be a 1 or 2 year cost then either included or not just like 2x6 to 8 cables are today - and gives enough power margin to support crazy overclocks without having to push to 3 connectors on the card. Cards that are comfortably below 225W will probably never see it, just like most cards comfortably below 150W only have a 6 pin today. OTOH I wouldn't put a 300W compact 6 pin, or 200W compact 4 pin derivative connector out of the realm of possibility over the next few years either. Probably not both though because a 6/4/2 snap apart plug would be a real mess; so either 6+6 or 8+4.

... yet.

Whether it starts to happen in 2-3 months when the custom PCB cards come out, next year when the 30xx series refresh (Ti, or Super, or WTH they decide to call it), or 2 years from now when the 40xx series launch, it's probably inevitable for higher power cards. It permanently drops the cost of the card BOM - mandatory adapter cables will be a 1 or 2 year cost then either included or not just like 2x6 to 8 cables are today - and gives enough power margin to support crazy overclocks without having to push to 3 connectors on the card. Cards that are comfortably below 225W will probably never see it, just like most cards comfortably below 150W only have a 6 pin today. OTOH I wouldn't put a 300W compact 6 pin, or 200W compact 4 pin derivative connector out of the realm of possibility over the next few years either. Probably not both though because a 6/4/2 snap apart plug would be a real mess; so either 6+6 or 8+4.

No AIB design revealed so far, reference or custom, uses the 12-pin.

Lied to from whom? Nvidia never promised one. It was just a rumor. Unless NV neglected to mention it when announcing the cards and revealing specs (unlikely), the rumors were wrong.
The rumors really just seem to be someone pulling thoughts out of their bottom on that one. I think someone had a "what if", and got a lot of clicks out of it.

The rear fan is going to dump air towards your CPU. If you use an air cooler, the fan on it will need to deal with heat from the GPU. The other GPU fan will send heat out of the case.
If you are using an AIO for the CPU than this won’t be an issue. But with good air flow it should be pretty marginal on internal temps.

Looking forward to this generation... but I think aesthetically they are absolutely hideous (inb4 even worse AIB monstrosities).
That smaller 12-pin connector looks awesome though!

RTX 3090 is a 350W card; so the dual adapter is safe for it. OEMs making models with significant overclocks may have to use 3x8 or 12+8 on the card itself, or include a 3x8 to 12 adapter to feed the beast.

Yikes, my ax1200i is 6-7 years old so I’m not sure I want to test it’s limits. Might have to just wait on the Ampere refresh that hopefully requires less juice. The FE design though looks good but I guess since EKs blocks are targeting the reference design (for now) Id probably grab one of those AIB cards with dual 8 pin.

What would potentially happen if you get a 3090 with 2 x 8 pin and then OC it past 375W, would the PSU trip or allow it? The 8 pin connectors should have no problem right?

This isn't the first time we've had 375w graphics cards. The 7990 (375w) and 295x2 (500w) were power hungry beasts and they didn't destroy computers. They both did this on 2x8pin connectors.
So I don't leave Nvidia out the Titan Z was a 375w card.

This isn't the first time we've had 375w graphics cards. The 7990 (375w) and 295x2 (500w) were power hungry beasts and they didn't destroy computers. They both did this on 2x8pin connectors.
So I don't leave Nvidia out the Titan Z was a 375w card.

Those were all halo cards that would have almost universally gone into high end systems with PSUs capable of safely handling well above nominal specification limits. OTOH on one of the 30xx/12 pin threads here someone did report burning a PCI power adapter (not sure if 2x6 to 8, or molex to 6 pin). And on the gripping hand the $200/240 list price Radeon 480 did kill some budget mobos/pcie slots when their initial firmware attempted to draw ~100W though the slot causing mobo power traces or slot connections to melt and disconnect (short?). After that made the tech news cycle, AMD released new firmware that respected the PCIe slot power and drew any excess from factory/user overclocking out of the more robust PCIe power cables instead. It's possible that NVidia is behaving more cautiously now, and is introducing newer and higher rated capacity connectors now so they can safely push power limits in the future without going out of spec to do so.

It’s almost like nvidia have launched a smaller power connector with adapters on low market penetration devices so that PSU and AIB manufacturers have a long lead time to start preparing for it in future years. This giving people a smoother transition and freeing nvidia to start planning on requiring it later, allowing for more power and greater flexibility in layouts with less space being used for connectors high energy electrical traces.

Or alternatively one of the most valuable tech companies in the world just forgot how to do electrical engineering, thought it’d be good for shits and giggles and wants to start melting peoples PCs because fuck it, they don’t like their share price anyway.

My new power supply apparently has the cable included *shock*

i don't even know what the reference looks like if the FE unboxing is isn't it

also where's this Traversal coprocessor at?

The reference design will look like any video card , its just a rectangular shaped piece of silicon with Nvidia's "reference" diagram on it.

Basically this (image is obviously not a 3000 series)
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti-PCB.png

Reactions: erek
like this
Wonder what the reference design cooler looks like

What do you mean? The reference design is being used by AIB's, NOT Nvidia. There are plenty of AIB's who have released cooler designs already. EVGA for instance.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/

I think you're still thinking this is like cards before it where the "reference" design PCB was used on the FE cards. That is NOT the case this time around. The FE cards use a unique PCB design with a big cutout to support the new cooler. The "reference" designs are just normal rectangles and are used by the AIB's. They look just like what Krenum posted above.

They are. And if you used the 12 to 2x8 pin adapter on a card that wanted to pull 600W over the 12 pin plug bad things would probably happen. Although in a good PSU the bad thing would be an over current sensor tripping and shutting your system down; not something overheating and melting or bursting into flames.

But the adapter can safely support a 375W card without going out of spec; and probably a fair bit more because high end PSU makers are aware of overclocked cards that draw more than the rated 150W through an 8pin and build in enough safety margin to handle it. RTX 3090 is a 350W card; so the dual adapter is safe for it. OEMs making models with significant overclocks may have to use 3x8 or 12+8 on the card itself, or include a 3x8 to 12 adapter to feed the beast.
Ahhh ok, sorry wasn't sure where my mind was, was thinking 2x8 pin was what the 12 pin was capable of, and yeah 2x8 + PCI should be able to give 375W no problem. Still though it's rated at 600W? at 12 volts? Damn that's 50 amps, or a bit over 4 amps per pin.

Looking forward to this generation... but I think aesthetically they are absolutely hideous (inb4 even worse AIB monstrosities).
That smaller 12-pin connector looks awesome though!
I like them. I just don't like how the 12pin connector has been implemented. I wish it was just the traditional way. It looks goofy with the adapter.

I like them. I just don't like how the 12pin connector has been implemented. I wish it was just the traditional way. It looks goofy with the adapter.
I love the connector, going to look real sleek angled like that. Of course you don't have to use the adapter, i'm grabbing the Corsair cable once its available.

Who the hell is getting a 3090 or 3080, watercooling it, but using 12 pins instead of 24? The FE edition is a heat concentrated nightmare.

Reactions: erek
like this
What do you mean? The reference design is being used by AIB's, NOT Nvidia. There are plenty of AIB's who have released cooler designs already. EVGA for instance.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/

I think you're still thinking this is like cards before it where the "reference" design PCB was used on the FE cards. That is NOT the case this time around. The FE cards use a unique PCB design with a big cutout to support the new cooler. The "reference" designs are just normal rectangles and are used by the AIB's. They look just like what Krenum posted above.
Which are you preferring this time around? FE or AIB then? Just curious

Which are you preferring this time around? FE or AIB then? Just curious
FE Cards in pro machine's I'm not allowed to water cool or otherwise fuck with. 24 pin AIB cards for my own machines, 360 AIO AIB for machines I am being lazy with. Make it quiet, give it legs.

Also nothing with less than 16GB Vram, otherwise sitting tight on 2080tis and R VIIs

I don't understand why people think the top fan is going to be terrible for CPU temps. Any non blower style card radiates heat right up into the CPU area as well. If your exhaust fans are to the rear and top of the CPU cooler, all heat in the case in some form goes by the CPU. Obviously this is a generalization and positive pressure pushes air out other places, but really, if anything the FE design should cause less heat around the CPU than the AIB cards since one of the FE fans removes heat from the case entirely.

Back