RTX 3080 Official Unboxing from Nvidia

The 12 pin to double 8 pin connector looks many times worse than if they just used normal connectors on the card 😭

“We saved 3/4 inch of PCB real estate and included a hideous adapter right in the middle of the card. But don’t worry, the card looks great until it goes in your case”.

The 12 pin to double 8 pin connector looks many times worse than if they just used normal connectors on the card 😭

“We saved 3/4 inch of PCB real estate and included a hideous adapter right in the middle of the card. But don’t worry, the card looks great until it goes in your case”.

You could say the same about the transition from 2x6 to 1x8 pin connectors a few generations back. Go back even farther and you could say the same for dual Molex to the original 6 pin.

Very curious if this uses standard mounting hardware. I have my current card hooked up to a x73 kraken with g12 bracket and would love to be able to swap it out.

looks sexy but I still prefer the AIB cooling solutions
I prefer Unadulterated Reference Designs, and this is one of the most amateur and ugly ones to date in my humble opinion. I believed the leaks were faked and can’t believe it panned out. Seems they buffaloed a lot of fanboys with absolute mastery on adopting Triple Slot as the norm like they did with the first Dual Slot reference board. Crazy

I like the dimensions and the aesthetics on the founders card. The pull through fan concerns me a bit however. People seem to think it will toss hot air up to the cpu which isn't great. I feel in a vertical mount it could dump onto your mobo chip-set and m.2 drives.. Also not great.

A shame since the card seems all business and not full on triple fan monster full of RGB puke..

It would need 3 8 pin connectors or 2 8 and 1 6. The 12 pin adapter has to be connected to 2x8 pin from separate connections on the PSU if that makes sense.

Yea I saw that. I like the cooler design but man the cable looks ugly with the plug placement lol. Given I have mostly glass front and side. It’s gonna look like an eye sore. Gonna have to tape that shit down but then it will cover the logo. May be tape along the fan on the other side. But waiting for reviews to see how the temps are effected for memory and cpu. Hopefully some reviews will focus on that.

I prefer Unadulterated Reference Designs, and this is one of the most amateur and ugly ones to date in my humble opinion. I believed the leaks were faked and can’t believe it panned out. Seems they buffaloed a lot of fanboys with absolute mastery on adopting Triple Slot as the norm like they did with the first Dual Slot reference board. Crazy

FE cards are not "reference designs" this generation. Nvidia has a default design, but it's different from the PCB used for the FE.

If they included a nice 12 or 18 inch adapter, no one would have a problem. But anyone who gets a FE card is gonna have that blob of cables right over the logo...

If they included a nice 12 or 18 inch adapter, no one would have a problem. But anyone who gets a FE card is gonna have that blob of cables right over the logo...

Yea. That’s what pisses me off. It’s almost like it’s another money making idea for partners lol. If they made it the length you mentioned I would be able to tuck the cables on the other side and just have one cable to work with in front. Kinda of a let down when I saw the small ass adapter.

Reactions: noko
like this
Yea. That’s what pisses me off. It’s almost like it’s another money making idea for partners lol. If they made it the length you mentioned I would be able to tuck the cables on the other side and just have one cable to work with in front. Kinda of a let down when I saw the small ass adapter.

Using 3rd party adapters voids the warranty apparently.

Reactions: noko
like this
You could say the same about the transition from 2x6 to 1x8 pin connectors a few generations back. Go back even farther and you could say the same for dual Molex to the original 6 pin.

And even further back to no cable at all!

I'm sure there will be streamlined adapters for the folks that actually look inside their case and care about these things.

How long until we need 2 of those 12-pin connectors, starting the cycle over again.

How long until we need 2 of those 12-pin connectors, starting the cycle over again.

Probably never. The 12 pin is rated for 600W plus the card can get an additional 75W (65W if you don't want to bother with a separate 3.3V circuit) from the PCIe slot. Cooling/noise limits are going to stop consumer cards from ever going that high.

This adapter is stupid from a cosmetic point. Since it terminates in 1 plug they should have split it into the two plugs further down the adapter allowing you to only show 1 cable routing into it and hiding the split into 2 behind your case.

It's a PCB without a big fan hole cut out of it. FE is a custom PCB this time around.

Edit: The reference PCB also doesn't have the 12-pin. It's dual 8-pin.
pics of the reference design?

i only bought FE with the guarantee of receiving a fully NVIDIA reference design. Used to have to source extremely early non-AIB models or other means to obtain direct NVIDIA parts.

how can we get this pure NVIDIA reference design now?

Derangel

I don't think the thermals of this crazy flow-through design are actually gonna compete with the larger 3rd party heatsink arrangements for silence. I hope I'm wrong.

i only bought FE with the guarantee of receiving a fully NVIDIA reference design. Used to have to source extremely early non-AIB models or other means to obtain direct NVIDIA parts.

Derangel

Wait for lists of reference model cards to come up, or probably just buy any model sold on release day. Custom PCB models normally don't come out until a bit later in the product life cycle.

Derangel

I don't think anyone has shown pictures of the reference design PCB yet. Bykski and EK have revealed reference design waterblocks, but that's about it.

Most/All AIBs should have reference PCB designs. For example, EVGA's XC line is generally all reference PCBs.

Just buy it from a different manufacture. EVGA will most likely sell the reference design.

i don't even know what the reference looks like if the FE unboxing is isn't it

also where's this Traversal coprocessor at?

I don't think the thermals of this crazy flow-through design are actually gonna compete with the larger 3rd party heatsink arrangements for silence. I hope I'm wrong.
I hope youre wrong too, because I'm not buying another GPU that just dumps all the heat in to my case. if the FE gets crappy thermal and noise reviews then it's a Hybrid for me.

I like smaller cases, use a Fractal Nano S atm and it could benefit from the FE design, at least I believe so.

I hope youre wrong too, because I'm not buying another GPU that just dumps all the heat in to my case. if the FE gets crappy thermal and noise reviews then it's a Hybrid for me.

I like smaller cases, use a Fractal Nano S atm and it could benefit from the FE design, at least I believe so.

The rear fan is going to dump air towards your CPU. If you use an air cooler, the fan on it will need to deal with heat from the GPU. The other GPU fan will send heat out of the case.

Back