RTX 3070 Mobile Rumors and Speculations Thread

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Markings on the chip place this as GN20-E5-A1, which allegedly refers to the GA104 GPU which is expected to power the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. GDDR6 memory is confirmed (naturally), since markings on the memory chips, which are placed quite close towards the actual NVIDIA silicon, are Sk Hynix identified as H56C8H24AIR - the same employed on AMD's Radeon Pro 550M. The full GA104 GPU features 6,144 CUDA cores however, the desktop version has been confirmed as being shipped with 5,888 cores enabled out of those. It could be that NVIDIA plans to release the mobile version with the same cores (and likely at a reduced frequency for improved power efficiency), which would obviously equate to lower performance; or maybe NVIDIA will employ the full GA104 silicon with even more reduced frequencies for the same performance - with substantial power savings as the proverbial cherry on top. These last ideas are pure speculation, though; we'll have to wait a little while to confirm specs."

1601570391623.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/272839/nvidia-rtx-3070-mobile-qualification-sample-pictured

We knew they would be keeping the massive power draw exclusively to GA102.

Everything else in NVIDIA's range needs to be pluggable into a laptop.

2808 Ti performance for under 225w is going to be amazing.

We knew they would be keeping the massive power draw exclusively to GA102.

Everything else in NVIDIA's range needs to be pluggable into a laptop.

2808 Ti performance for under 225w is going to be amazing.
Well, firstly, 2808 TI doesn't exist ;). Second, I wouldn't get to excited about 2080ti performance from a 3070 until we get some actual benchmarks, I feel more than a few people might be let down if they have this hope (although, I don't imagine it will be very far off even if it's not 100% accurate). I mean, the 2080TI TDP is 250w... so similar performance @ 225w after a change to a new process and architectural improvements isn't the best showing we've seen from one series to another. That would equate to around 10-11% efficiency improvement from 12nm down to 8nm + any architectural improvements, IF it can actually match pace, if it's any slower than a 2080ti, then that's even worse, if it's faster, that makes it better obviously :). Overall, seems average to below average improvements for a process node change.

Well, firstly, 2808 TI doesn't exist ;). Second, I wouldn't get to excited about 2080ti performance from a 3070 until we get some actual benchmarks, I feel more than a few people might be let down if they have this hope (although, I don't imagine it will be very far off even if it's not 100% accurate). I mean, the 2080TI TDP is 250w... so similar performance @ 225w after a change to a new process and architectural improvements isn't the best showing we've seen from one series to another. That would equate to around 10-11% efficiency improvement from 12nm down to 8nm + any architectural improvements, IF it can actually match pace, if it's any slower than a 2080ti, then that's even worse, if it's faster, that makes it better obviously :). Overall, seems average to below average improvements for a process node change.

Truth. I will believe we can get RTX 2080 Ti performance out of 2/3 the memory bandwidth when I see it.

But we will at least know the performance of 3070 weeks before AMD releases BigNavi.

Truth. I will believe we can get RTX 2080 Ti performance out of 2/3 the memory bandwidth when I see it.

But we will at least know the performance of 3070 weeks before AMD releases BigNavi.

Yep, I'm with you - I don't think mobile 3070 is going to come close to desktop 2080Ti performance.
Based on the leaked Galax slide almost a week ago, the desktop 3070 should perform somewhere between 2080S and 2080Ti, with the desktop 3060 roughly equivalent to the 2080 vanilla. Of course, that's assuming that the info is legit...

I'm going to guess that the mobile 3070 will be in the ballpark of desktop 2070/S performance and maybe even desktop 2060/S, depending on what the actual configured power (TGP) is to make it reduce the power consumption and run cooler.

Yep, I'm with you - I don't think mobile 3070 is going to come close to desktop 2080Ti performance.
Based on the leaked Galax slide almost a week ago, the desktop 3070 should perform somewhere between 2080S and 2080Ti, with the desktop 3060 roughly equivalent to the 2080 vanilla. Of course, that's assuming that the info is legit...

I'm going to guess that the mobile 3070 will be in the ballpark of desktop 2070/S performance and maybe even desktop 2060/S, depending on what the actual configured power (TGP) is to make it reduce the power consumption and run cooler.
Not even close? :(

NVIDIA’s 2020 Laptop Refresh: Launches GeForce RTX 2080 Super, 2070 Super, & GTX 1650 Ti

It’s probably the same scale they used to say the 3080 was double the performance.*

*Double the performance in Minecraft and Quake II RTX.

This is why people shouldn’t panic sell a video card based on marketing claims.

Why?

Launch TDP MAX for 2070 was 200w. Dropping that down to to 150w will just drop performance by 10-20%

power_peak.png

So, if desktop 200w 3070 = 2080 Ti (300w), the laptop parts will be equal to 2080 Super desktop

I guarantee none of the current 2080 laptop part come anywhere near that (when limited to 150w or less).

Why?

Launch TDP MAX for 2070 was 200w. Dropping that down to to 150w will just drop performance by 10-20%

View attachment 284683

So, if desktop 200w 3070 = 2080 Ti (300w), the laptop parts will be equal to 2080 Super desktop

I guarantee none of the current 2080 laptop part come anywhere near that (when limited to 150w or less).

I'm thinking 90-110 watts max for the mobile 3070 to follow in the footsteps of the mobile 2070 being 115 watt max for flexibility to put it in smaller form factor laptops that don't weight 8 pounds due to the overall system cooling system requirements.

2070 desktop TDP is 175-215W depending on the model.
2070 laptop TDP is 80-150W depending on the model and thermal limit for the chassis. Many chassis are limited to just 115 or even 90 watts, since the 2070 is an upgrade option over 2060 GPUs.

3070 TDP is 320W? (nope 220.) OK so still feasible but the outlook is still a bit...rough.

Either the desktop parts are being pushed to insane limits regarding to power (which they are) and/or the process is super power-inefficient (which we don't really know yet, but I sure as sugar will not rule out).

Edit: well that changes things a bit.

Last edited:
2070 laptop TDP is 80-150W depending on the model and thermal limit for the chassis. Many chassis are limited to just 115 or even 90 watts, since the 2070 is an upgrade option over 2060 GPUs.

3070 TDP is 320W? They're going to have to lower it by more than 50 percent to make it work in laptops that are maxxed out spec-wise.

Either the desktop parts are being pushed to insane limits regarding to power (which they are) and/or the process is super power-inefficient (which we don't really know yet, but I sure as sugar will not rule out).

3070 desktop is rated at 220W TDP.

Still, they're going to need to reduce it by at least 33% power consumption to get it into the flagship 150W laptops that can adequately handle the GPU power/heat.

Reactions: Axman
like this

3070 TDP is 320W? (nope 220.) OK so still feasible but the outlook is still a bit...rough.

Edit: well that changes things a bit.
where are you seeing 320w for the 3070? I thought I read it was 220.

OK, that makes mobile seem a lot more attainable. Still somewhat unenviable from an efficiency goal; there is still the possibility that 3000 undervolts well.

Any decent info out on 3080/3090 undervolting/underclocking performance?

A 3070 mobile variant is going to perform at maybe 2080 mobile variant if that. Laptops haven’t magically gotten better thermals or power envelopes. The 3080 is basically a 2080 Ti with much higher power draw allowing for its performance increase. I still haven’t heard why that is exactly with it being a smaller node. It almost had perfect scaling inline with its increase there. 2070s and Intel chips are already insanely hot and power hungry in laptops.

5 bucks says this is a rebrand.

A 3070 mobile variant is going to perform at maybe 2080 mobile variant if that. Laptops haven’t magically gotten better thermals or power envelopes. The 3080 is basically a 2080 Ti with much higher power draw allowing for its performance increase. I still haven’t heard why that is exactly with it being a smaller node. It almost had perfect scaling inline with its increase there. 2070s and Intel chips are already insanely hot and power hungry in laptops.

5 bucks says this is a rebrand.

No, they overclocked the living shit out of the 3080 desktop it could deliver a solid 30% performance improvement in average games.

The actual undervolting graph shows way better efficiency available;e from any random card.

vs-2080-Ti-Overall.png

https://wccftech.com/undervolting-ampere-geforce-rtx-3080-hidden-efficiency-potential/

If I were to guess, the increased TDP of 225w over 200w for 3070 is doing the same: maxing-out performance on the desktop parts, all for a 5% higher performance increase imagine if NVIDIA started cherrypicking the best parts for mobile 3070s?

Last edited:
No, they overclocked the living shit out of the 3080 desktop it could deliver a solid 30% performance improvement in average games.

The actual undervolting graph shows way better efficiency available;e from any random card.

View attachment 284718

https://wccftech.com/undervolting-ampere-geforce-rtx-3080-hidden-efficiency-potential/

imagine if NVIDIA started cherrypicking the best parts for mobile 3070s?

Color me shocked...wow!

The undervolted performance of the 3080 is impressive.

View attachment 284718

If I were to guess, the increased TDP of 225w over 200w for 3070 is doing the same: maxing-out performance on the desktop parts, all for a 5% higher performance increase imagine if NVIDIA started cherrypicking the best parts for mobile 3070s?
Wow that is a big decrease in in power usage while only being 50 MHz less and about 5 C less than stock.

Wonder if I could get one for my P870TM1-G, that would be amazing.

View attachment 284718

Assuming the Forza results shown are typical, a 25% power reduction for a 3% FPS drop is huge.

I was planning to wait for custom PCB models with better power delivery for higher clocks (my quad 140 radiator won't care); but the crazy amount of power they're already putting in for the last tiny performance bump says higher power variants won't be able to offer anything meaningfully faster. $100/year lower electric bills (my GPUs are loaded 24/7 for BOINC) otoh is a pretty nice payoff.

I still want a more premium model card; but that's just because a better binned chip should be faster at lower voltages too.

I think AMD has a real opportunity in the mobile gaming space in 2021.

Back