RTX 3070 delayed to October 29th

According to Nvidias's own numbers it seems the 3070 will only be faster than the 2080 Ti in a few games. It does come very close in the rest though.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-3070-available-october-29/

IMG_20201002_043818.jpg

I wonder if this means NV is going to do some last-minute pricing shenanigans like AMD did with the 5700/XT? What an interesting GPU launch cycle... it's been a little while since AMD & NV launched entirely new lineups at the same time and it's exciting to watch.

One day after AMD’s Big Navi reveal. I think this may mean that AMD has something special in the $500 bracket.

Yeah, this is definitely related to AMD's announcement. They're playing it off like it's to alleviate ordering issues (which might be partially true as well), but that timing is too conspicuous.

Wouldn’t be surprised if AMD comes out with a card that slots between 2080 Ti (+10-15%) and 3080 performance (-10-15%) at $500. Would be a very potent card.

We talk like this card would actually be available on the day they said it would be :) Who cares when they release it, it's OOS immediately and you're getting one in December.

Yeah, this is definitely related to AMD's announcement. They're playing it off like it's to alleviate ordering issues (which might be partially true as well), but that timing is too conspicuous.

all of the above and the fact that it's not going to end up anywhere close to their claimed performance.. i'd be surprised if it legitimately beat the 2080ti in anything other than RTX titles.. just look at how much it's cut down in comparison to the 3080 and that card averages about 20% more performance than the 2080ti. so my guess is they'll have to play the pricing war and they probably don't want AMD pulling another price cut right before launch. going to be an interesting 3 weeks since we all know there won't be any 3080's in stock to care about.

Reactions: kac77
like this
I'm actually a little curious if this whole "bots buying everything" trend will continue for the 3070 and AMD's card, too.

I'm actually a little curious if this whole "bots buying everything" trend will continue for the 3070 and AMD's card, too.
probably.. hopefully by then most of the e-tailers have some sort of bot protection implemented.

I’d say even more so for the 3070. The AMD cards I’m not sure how much these scalpers have actually researched. But if there is a good amount of hype and buzz around them I expect it to be just as bad.

probably.. hopefully by then most of the e-tailers have some sort of bot protection implemented.
The e-tailers are putting in protections the equivalent of trying to put out the wildfires out west with a fire extinguisher. Someone in the HotDeals forum botted a 3080 FTW3 and EVGA said they were manually reviewing and cancelling orders that were botted. His order wasn’t cancelled.

At the same time there are several people that can’t place orders on Newegg who aren’t bots. Because their bot protection has false positives galore.

I’d say even more so for the 3070. The AMD cards I’m not sure how much these scalpers have actually researched. But if there is a good amount of hype and buzz around them I expect it to be just as bad.
MLID did say that AMD should have more at launch than what Nvidia had. Is it true? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

When bots buy the cards and scalpers resell them, r/e-tailers don't have to worry about honoring warranty or returns.

i just wonder if this has to do with the capacitor and clock speed issues that the 3090 and 3080 suffer from?

What's stopping Nvidia and r/e-tailers from selling directly to sites like StockX at the premium price?

NOTHING! Hahahah.

Laughing all the way to the bank.
The more they can give, the more they can take.

We talk like this card would actually be available on the day they said it would be :) Who cares when they release it, it's OOS immediately and you're getting one in December.
Which is why they should just release it now. Get a month up on when it really is available for the rest of us drones.

That said the 3070 was kind of where I was aiming for the 30 series, but after thinking about it I currently play games with low end graphics like Rimworld or Prison Architect, dont really feel like replaying Far Cry 5 or New Dawn just to get a relatively small increase in detail that I probably am not going to even focus on for 90% of the game... who knows maybe when GTA 6 hits for PCs in a few years(?) I'll really consider one

To me, I believe the delay was done here to simply do one thing which is...stating...the...obvious! They are trying to manufacture and ship as many 3070's as humanly possible before and at launch so they don't have to publicly confess to the scalpers their 2 favorite words in the whole world (talking about the scalpers now), "scarce stock". They are trying to make sure any stock of the 3070 is considered publicly, "nominal stock" or "optimal stock". Also consider this: the 3070 is going to have less variants of it when comparing it to the 3080 and 3090. They want to by supplying far more stock throw the 3070 off of the scalpers radar. If I were nVIDIA and I were being wise: I wouldn't allow any retailer to sell any RTX 30 series cards at all between now and October 28th. Period. I would treat the 28th as a relaunch of the 3090, 3080 and 3070. I know that sounds like a gigantic buzzkill but consider this: it would give nVIDIA and AIB's more time to make and ship more cards which would allow all retailers to create a strong surplus of inventory stock that to the retailers would be considered "optimal level" and then they can release it all on the same day. The scalpers bank accounts (for many of them) may not be able to keep up with that much inventory. Many of them might bow out because it would potentially be too much stock to buy all at once even as a combined super force. Out!

i just wonder if this has to do with the capacitor and clock speed issues that the 3090 and 3080 suffer from?
Exactly.
Did they already have a shit ton of 3070's ready to release only to find out about the cap issue and they were pulled while stock of the new board revision slowly builds.

According to Nvidias's own numbers it seems the 3070 will only be faster than the 2080 Ti in a few games. It does come very close in the rest though.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-3070-available-october-29/

View attachment 284763

For now. With driver optimizations, I would expect the 3070 to be a somewhat better card going forward. For reference, look at how the 1080Ti aged compared to Turing. At launch it was ~2080. Now, it is ~2070(S).

I personally wouldn't spend more than $400-450 on a used 2080Ti.

For now. With driver optimizations, I would expect the 3070 to be a somewhat better card going forward. For reference, look at how the 1080Ti aged compared to Turing. At launch it was ~2080. Now, it is ~2070(S).

I personally wouldn't spend more than $400-450 on a used 2080Ti.

you do realize the 2070 super is essentially a 2080 right? 20 series gained maybe 5% performance from launch to now. they just muddied the numbers by releasing multiple variants of the same damn card so people wouldn't notice.

Christmas isn't far off and most of the new consoles are going to be spoken for. There are going to be a lot of desperate parents spending too much money on 3-series cards come November. Ditto for both consoles. That's nothing new. I remember people selling the NES at 2x prices via my local bulletin board back in the 80's.

I pulled a full pass on anything this holiday season, skipping consoles and these 30xx boards.......just a waste of time trying to compete for them. No games out on either console in 2020 that I need a new rig to be on board with on either the PC front or Console front that won't already be playable to some degree on my aging 1080 Ti clocked up da azz.
Is there any launch software that is confirmed that is worth buying? Launch software almost universally sucks with rare and infrequent exceptions........

Is there any launch software that is confirmed that is worth buying? Launch software almost universally sucks with rare and infrequent exceptions........

The Demon's Souls remake is a must-buy for fans of that style of game. Godfall could be the next big thing, but nobody knows for certain. That's basically it.

The Demon's Souls remake is a must-buy for fans of that style of game. Godfall could be the next big thing, but nobody knows for certain. That's basically it.
The new Spider-Man as well.

That and Ratchet and Clank just to see what a game programmed around a SSD will be like.

The new Spider-Man as well.

I dunno about that one. It's also coming out on PS4. I don't really find the cross-gen games to be particularly compelling purchases in advance. I guess we'll know for sure once the review comparisons come out.

you do realize the 2070 super is essentially a 2080 right? 20 series gained maybe 5% performance from launch to now. they just muddied the numbers by releasing multiple variants of the same damn card so people wouldn't notice.

I do realize that. The naming scheme I think had more to do with price. The 2070S was somewhat more of an upgrade over the 2070 compared to the 2080S to 2080. The difference between the 2080S and 2070S is maybe ~10% at best. The 2080 slots in between closer to the 2070S.

Either way, I don't think the 2080Ti will be worth more than $500. I'd take the 3070 over it.

Back