RTX 3060 12GB, shader cores and potential 6GB variant

You won't have to. Sign up for EVGA's waiting list and when it's your turn, you'll be able to buy a card at MSRP.
Lolol joke of the century.....I have sign-ups from 9/21 for two 3080 skus that are still not current, I got one 3070 from that list (and stupidly canceled the others) because I got it on the first minute of the list opening. You will never get a card through the queue for any existing SKU if you sign up today, and by never I mean atleast 12 months...

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
You won't have to. Sign up for EVGA's waiting list and when it's your turn, you'll be able to buy a card at MSRP.
Only applies to people who were already queued. If you queue up now you get the new price.
It's also worth mentioning they haven't even cleared September 18th yet for the 3080 FTW3, and that's the main card -- basically the ONLY card -- they've been shipping.

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
Only applies to people who were already queued. If you queue up now you get the new price.
I couldn't understand what you meant, then checked the 3060 Ti... holy f*ck. Went from $409 to 459 (*screams in terror*). Maybe I should've just got into that list last week...

Well, the 3060 at least has been mentioned at MSRP of $329 today, after all the tariffs went into effect, so I'm ***hoping*** this will be the actual price? If not, you are %100 right - no card for me, because I flat out refuse to pay a single cent over MSRP.

Fingers, arms, legs... crossed.

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
If I have to miss the Ampere generation, even though I'm way overdue a GPU upgrade, I will. Playing Gears 5 at 1080p with everything on high (except World textures at medium) at 60fps and happy as can be. 90fps would be better, but for a 1060 3GB, I'm not complaining. Other people have been caught in this situation holding off with much worse hardware (like 900 series or lower)... now that is what I consider being screwed for the time being.

x509

2[H]4U
OK. So I signed up for the original version of the 3060, but now I'm thinking I might want the new 12 GB version. So I tried to sign up for this version under My Notifies, but I couldn't see any buttons or menus to do the signup. Does that mean you are allowed to do just one signup at a time?

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
Does that mean you are allowed to do just one signup at a time?
AFAIK there’s only a limit of one per SKU. There’s no list available for the 3060 because they just announced it today, availability in late February. I’m guessing the orders page will show up in a few weeks.

Reactions: x509
like this

polonyc2

Fully [H]
so is the 3060 Ti supposed to be the better card?...it seems the cheaper 3060 12GB might be better overall with less power consumption, more VRAM etc

like this

Mav451

Supreme [H]ardness
That's kind of old news now, or did people already miss that information when Asus made the change?
As for the rest of the discussion, we're not in GenMay so I'll leave it at that.

My brother has been waiting on a 1660 he ordered over a month ago - still hasn't shipped lmao. At least they only put a temporary CC hold (which obviously went away) and didn't actually charge him for it yet.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Cause it has most memory. You know moar memory=moar performance.

it's weird because Nvidia is releasing a higher VRAM lower end card before higher VRAM high end ones (not counting the 3090)...so many of these new Ampere cards seem redundant- I would take buy a 3060Ti over a 3070...and a 3080 over a 3090...3080Ti just adds more models and redundancy and will make early adopters pissed off

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
Cause it has most memory. You know moar memory=moar performance.
This is inaccurate. The 3060 will be slower than the 3060 Ti. More memory only equals more performance if you don't have the capacity you need to use and are running out of VRAM.
it's weird because Nvidia is releasing a higher VRAM lower end card before higher VRAM high end ones (not counting the 3090)...so many of these new Ampere cards seem redundant- I would take buy a 3060Ti over a 3070...and a 3080 over a 3090...3080Ti just adds more models and redundancy and will make early adopters pissed off
I think Nvidia underestimated what AMD would come up with. They cheaped out on VRAM initially, but at this point they must have realized a 6GB mid-tier card would not even last 2 years with decent performance, and because of the 192 bit bus, their only other option was 12GB. This would have not been an issue had they not cheaped out on the 3070, 3080, 3090, but they did. Now they're on this weird spec situation until they refresh the whole lineup. One thing is clear - had AMD released worse performing cards, making the prospects of 6700 weaker, you'd have a 6GB card now, for sure.

Last edited:
like this

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I think Nvidia underestimated what AMD would come up with. They cheaped out on VRAM this year, but at this point they must have realized a 6GB mid-tier card would not even last 2 years with decent performance, and because of the 192 bit bus, their only other option was 12GB. This would have not been an issue had they not cheaped out on the 3070, 3080, 3090, but they did. Now they're on this weird spec situation until they refresh the whole lineup. One thing is clear - had AMD released worse performing cards, you'd have a 6GB card now, for sure.

Nvidia/AMD has been following this pattern for awhile now...Nvidia is banking on RTX/DLSS as the main selling point while AMD cards usually age better because of their higher VRAM

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
Oh. I thought you were being serious 😂
The joke................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Me.

x509

2[H]4U
AFAIK there’s only a limit of one per SKU. There’s no list available for the 3060 because they just announced it today, availability in late February. I’m guessing the orders page will show up in a few weeks.
OK, but I didn't see the ability to sign up for a different 3060 SKU or any 3070 or 3080 SKUs. Not that I need either of those. :happy: