Rtx 2080 vs Vega 64

Yeah, that hotel lobby floor reflection in BFV looks both totally amazing and totally fake. The blurry screen-space reflection with RTX off is paradoxically more realistic.

Interesting comparison here:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1747-amd-radeon-rx-590/

Vega 64 LC tops RTX 2070 all but 2 games out of 21 games, 1080 tops 2070 couple times too... factor in the performance difference between 2080 and 2070, though current pricing of RX Vega 64 has been $300/$400's...

Part I found interesting, even surprising is that RX Vega 64 LC opped 2070 nearly every time, then it comes down to cost of each - AMD even with Vega 64 on the table doesn't look so bad - makes the idea even of 7nm Vega 64 refresh seem possible to at least reach RTX 2080 level which gives them a nice price point to play with.

Oh I thought I'd give an update.

Just finished the upgrade with a fresh install of Windows 10. Everything appeared to go great. But guess what? I get the same fucking crash that all these other RTX owners have reported. Takes about five minutes in any game, or any benchmark. I don't get the space Invaders, but I get little squares in the exact same pattern as the space Invaders.

Will be returning the card. Should have gone with the Vega 64. Perhaps it's not too late to get a refund.

My system is running totally stock as well. :(

Sorry to hear about failing RTX card. Let us know when you receive your Vega 64. Theres a lot of info on available on tweaking them. Once tweaked a bit, the Vega cards can really take flight. Performance can be improved over stock and power consumption can be improved as well.

Might be a good chance to swap for a Vega. Most places will offer a full refund for non-working hardware.

Oh I thought I'd give an update.

Just finished the upgrade with a fresh install of Windows 10. Everything appeared to go great. But guess what? I get the same fucking crash that all these other RTX owners have reported. Takes about five minutes in any game, or any benchmark. I don't get the space Invaders, but I get little squares in the exact same pattern as the space Invaders.

Will be returning the card. Should have gone with the Vega 64. Perhaps it's not too late to get a refund.

My system is running totally stock as well. :(

You have had it for only a week so you should be able to get a refund. Where did you buy it from, if I may ask?

You have had it for only a week so you should be able to get a refund. Where did you buy it from, if I may ask?

I got it from Newegg. I RMAed it with MSI they sent me a prepaid shipping label so I'll send it out tomorrow. For now I just put my old rx470 back. I'm glad I didn't go with the cheaper gigabyte board as their customer support sucks balls.

You know having no working PC has some benefits. I've been forced to do things in meat space, so I've been playing one of the civilization board games with my wife all day long. Cause this is one of the super incredibly complicated ones;

WZVeLawh.jpg

Interesting comparison here:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1747-amd-radeon-rx-590/

Vega 64 LC tops RTX 2070 all but 2 games out of 21 games, 1080 tops 2070 couple times too... factor in the performance difference between 2080 and 2070, though current pricing of RX Vega 64 has been $300/$400's...

Part I found interesting, even surprising is that RX Vega 64 LC opped 2070 nearly every time, then it comes down to cost of each - AMD even with Vega 64 on the table doesn't look so bad - makes the idea even of 7nm Vega 64 refresh seem possible to at least reach RTX 2080 level which gives them a nice price point to play with.

They only listed 7 games, with the full average of 21 games, the RTX 2070 wins overall.

"In total we have results for 21 games at two resolutions, 1080p and 1440p but the commentary will be focused on 7 of the more recently released titles."

2018-11-16-image-3.png

Power.png

Not to mention the horrific powerup consumption and bad performance per dollar for the card.

Cost%20Per%20Frame.png

It's not particularly Apples to apples when you take the Fastest and most Expensive RX Vega 64(at 700 dollars) which is also liquid cooled and compare it to the very cheapest RTX 2070 and falsely say, it wins in most titles when the articles shows it doesn't.

Most of the RX Vega 64's at 300 are gone now and were black fridays deals. In addition, they were all pretty much reference cooler, which are undesirable to cool Vega. The 400 dollar that are still available are all reference designs.

If we took something with more equivalent in terms of cooling with the LC, it won't look pretty for the LC.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/14/msi_geforce_rtx_2070_gaming_z_performance_review/12

And if we scale things down to compared the cheapest RX Vega 64 with the Cheapest RTX 2070, we see performance is still in favor of the RTX 2070 vs Vega.

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

RX Vega might be a better value than the RTX 2070, but you can't take the performance of the RX Vega 64 liquid(with cherry picked game selection) and use the price of black friday RX 64 to turn it into a better card than it is. That is a card that beats the RTX 2070 for 200 less.

RX Vega 64 is a good card but it certainly is overall slower than an RTX 2070. It also is much more power hungry and louder.

A more realistic comparison today would be to consider an RTX 2070 as a 500 dollar card and RX Vega as a 400 dollar card. For that extra hundred dollars you get 16% better performance, along with a quieter and more efficient card.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ESTMATCH&Description=rtx+2070&N=-1&isNodeId=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ription=rx+vega+64&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I already own a custom PCB/custom cooler Vega64 and paid way more back in March. That being in said, in today's prices the last post is postulating that it's a 16% perf difference for 20% cost. Nowadays you can readily find custom cooler Vega64s for less than $400. That makes the vega64 even more tempting than it was in the past.

I already own a custom PCB/custom cooler Vega64 and paid way more back in March. That being in said, in today's prices the last post is postulating that it's a 16% perf difference for 20% cost. Nowadays you can readily find custom cooler Vega64s for less than $400. That makes the vega64 even more tempting than it was in the past.

If your talking about those Ebay 10%-20% off coupons, that's hardly a regular deal and that same coupon can be applied to RTX 2070s.

Heres a slickdeals history of recent RX Vega 64s sale and there is no AIB custom cards that have gone under 400.

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?forumchoice[]=9&q=rx+vega&showposts=0

The closest was the Vega Strix at 475.

As I said all the deals have been on the reference design.

The RX vega 64 is a better deal than the RTX 2070, but it's not that much better and it isn't without its downsides. The reference cooler sucks and Vega has less potential than the RTX 2070 when both are overclocked.

Refere to the newegg link I posted earlier compare AIB's cards for rx vega 64 and the RTX 2070, the price isn't all that different and at that point, your better off with a RTX 2070.

When I was looking all I could find was a reference blower style cooler for $400. The cheapest AIB Vega 64 I could find was $500 and it was a gigabyte board. And I don't buy anything from them anymore due to them fking me over and not honoring a warranty claim for made up BS years ago.

Where can I find AIB Vega 64s for under $400?

You just have to time eBay right. I bought an Asus Strix Vega 64 for $350 and a Red Devil for $400 being mindful of ebay listings.

I got mine on ebay as well, brand new. I've seen them with deals and coupons. Watch the deals section of Hardforum. They come up.

Back