RTX 2080 TI vs GTX 1080 TI Benchmark

But... but... ok you have a valid point. I'm also waiting to see how games like Cyberpunk 2077 and such take advantage of the tech once it can be used in windows 10 broadly.

Then, it'd probably be closer to the next revision of RTX cards than not. Which, could be "cheaper" than the current.

I fully believe these are a stop gap card and the whole thing reminds me of the 7800 GTX 512mb+ card.

I bought a used 1080 (should of gotten a Ti but I didn't want to "fully" commit) to hold out for the next revision of the card instead of getting these current ones. And, I'm not regretting that decision.

Looks like this generation would have been good, except for the price increase. A new generation where everything performs as well as the step above it from the previous is pretty good. However when the price also jumps a shitload, well that makes it not a good deal. I'm not spending $700-800 to get a card with less RAM and the same performance.

The RTX is in many aspects is Nvidia's Vega moment....

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a Vega moment, Vega was at least competing with 1070 and 1080, at the moment RTX isn't competing with anyone except for themselves.

When was the last time Nvidia disappointed? (Except the pricing....)

I don't expect anything less than 40% increase in performance over a 1080 Ti the majority of the time.

Well it must suck to be disappointed cause it didn't even come close to that 40%. It's pretty much a dud unless you absolutely needed the bit extra for 4K gaming or VR.

Well it must suck to be disappointed cause it didn't even come close to that 40%. It's pretty much a dud unless you absolutely needed the bit extra for 4K gaming or VR.

Yea more and more I think I'm going to stick with my 1070 and wait for the die shrink and updated RTX logic in the next generation.

2080ti over 1080ti? All of the reviews are currently placing it at about 35-40% faster at 4k and around 30% faster at 1440p....

I'm actually more curious to see some i7 vs R7 benchmarks with this thing just to see if the 1440p/4k GPU bottlenecks we've been seeing are removed.

I'm a bit disappionted because previously the generations 70's were as fast as the previous generations 80 if no 80 ti's. I know we just came into maxwell and pascal but still. I am spoiled I guess. Plus the price is bonkers. I don't think I'm willing to pay the new technology tax on this generation.

I'm a bit disappionted because previously the generations 70's were as fast as the previous generations 80 if no 80 ti's. I know we just came into maxwell and pascal but still. I am spoiled I guess. Plus the price is bonkers. I don't think I'm willing to pay the new technology tax on this generation.

I've always considered the xx70 to be a good replacement to the previous xx80-Ti....the 1070 is more or less equal to the 980-Ti, and the GTX970 is more or less equal to the GTX780. With RTX it looks like the 2080 = 1080-Ti, with the 2070 likely taking the GTX1060 spot (not SLI capable, probably about the same performance as the previous gen xx80 Vanilla card).

2080ti over 1080ti? All of the reviews are currently placing it at about 35-40% faster at 4k and around 30% faster at 1440p....

I'm actually more curious to see some i7 vs R7 benchmarks with this thing just to see if the 1440p/4k GPU bottlenecks we've been seeing are removed.

35-40% is huge at 4k. It can take an unplayable title and make it playable. These numbers are better than the Titan V.

The pricing is problematic, but the positive side is that your existing GPU likely won't depreciate as much as in previous generations, so it can be sold for a little bit more.

I am seriously considering a 2080ti and matching EK water block to finally get across the board 4k ultra@60fps playable titles.

Waiting for the [H] review though, because some of these reviews out there are all over the place.

I saw a chart suggesting the 2080ti was doubling the performance of the 1080ti in Wolfenstein II New Colossus. I don't quite believe that one. Waiting for trustworthy reviews.

I think we just got spoil how big of an upgrade we got from Maxwell to Pascal when they shrink from 28nm to 16nm process. Pascal to Turing increase was less due to using a better 16nm process for Turing and cramming more CUDA cores.

Clueless much? Reread the reviews @ 4K...

Clueless much? Reread the reviews @ 4K...

Yeah that dont look like 40% or even close...

gtav-4k-rtx2080-avg-768x484.png

Did a bit better here still not 40%
monster-4k-rtx2080-768x484.png

It did better on some and worse on others, hardly a 40% performance increase guaranty. So yeah maybe you should read them.

Meh... my Titan X Pascal OC'ed and on water will hold me for a while longer. While a ~35% bump in performance would be nice, it's not worth ~$1300. (Plus the added cost/hassle of securing a new waterblock)

Going to wait on either the die shrink on the current gen of Turing or the arrival of the next Titan offering, but won't bite on either unless they can deliver a performance bump in excess of 50%.

Last edited:
Yeah that dont look like 40% or even close...

View attachment 105118

Did a bit better here still not 40%
View attachment 105119

It did better on some and worse on others, hardly a 40% performance increase guaranty. So yeah maybe you should read them.
Nice cherry picks. Same games on other sites show bigger spread, a game on that site shows a 44% increase over Ti.
Some sites show GTA with a much bigger spread.
So your statement of “not even close” is just silly and ignorant.
Beast of a card. Can’t wait. Massive upgrade over the 1080 Ti for 4K folks like me.

Nice cherry picks. Same games on other sites show bigger spread, a game on that site shows a 44% increase over Ti.
Beast of a card. Can’t wait. Massive upgrade over the 1080 Ti for 4K folks like me.
Nice cherry picking as well. It is not great in some and great in others.
Beast? Not really, but performs good for 4K.

I dont have all day to refute your clueless comment that it's a beast of a card when it falls far short of that. These are also reference 1080Ti cards it's being compared against while the 2080Ti is a factory overclocked card. So even with a slightly stacked deck it still falls short especially at the current price points. So many reviews with a dont recommend should also be a clue it's just not a great launch. You only want to defend your choice to buy it cause deep down you know it was a bad buy. If the prices were the same I likely just say it's a average launch, but with these prices it's a complete pass of launch and many reviewers felt the same way.

You only want to defend your choice to buy it cause deep down you know it was a bad buy.

Nonsense. I already have 2 1080 Tis and there are instances in 4k where I'd like more performance. Yeah, I get the price/performance ratio isn't good, that's often the case with top line performance products.

I just don't know what some of you are thinking here. All someone has to do is sell their 1080 Tis and make up most of the price difference since those cards aren't get cheaper with these RTX 2080s.

Nonsense. I already have 2 1080 Tis and there are instances in 4k where I'd like more performance. Yeah, I get the price/performance ratio isn't good, that's often the case with top line performance products.

I just don't know what some of you are thinking here. All someone has to do is sell their 1080 Tis and make up most of the price difference since those cards aren't get cheaper with these RTX 2080s.

Some of us are thinking the same thing as many other reviewers the performance sucks for the added cost of the product. Not only that but right now you get 0 benefit to all that RTX stuff Nvidia talked about on top of it. By the time this tech rolls out from multiple developers your looking at the next gen releasing. Also you would have to sell 2 1080Ti cards and still need cash to buy 1 2080Ti. We all would like more performance but I am not going to dump that kind of cash on a video card that cant even use all it's features yet. I dont plan on financing mega corporations for kicks, they have to earn my cash and currently they are not even close to getting it. If you see value in it then go ahead and get them, but I just think it's a bad deal and many others feel the same way.

most people that pre-ordered a 2000 series card jumped at the chance before any official benchmark/performance numbers were released...so it seems you guys already made up your mind regardless...it's only natural to defend your high end purchase...it's always the same people on [H] that buy every new generation

most people that pre-ordered a 2000 series card jumped at the chance before any official benchmark/performance numbers were released...so it seems you guys already made up your mind regardless...it's only natural to defend your high end purchase...it's always the same people on [H] that buy every new generation
Not really official until [H] has done the testing!

We all would like more performance but I am not going to dump that kind of cash on a video card that cant even use all it's features yet. I dont plan on financing mega corporations for kicks, they have to earn my cash and currently they are not even close to getting it. If you see value in it then go ahead and get them, but I just think it's a bad deal and many others feel the same way.

Exactly, why pay a premium for an option that you can't even use. And there is no guarantee that it will even be worth its weight once it is implemented. Too risky.

You only want to defend your choice to buy it cause deep down you know it was a bad buy.

Sigh. So much butthurt here. I think there is something deeper going on with you.
I will be slaying 4K with a single card. That was my goal. The 2080 Ti does it. I’m thrilled.
I’m sorry you feel the personal need to keep informing people on how to spend or not spend their money.
As another poster said in another thread, do you roll down your windows and yell at BMW, Benz and Porsche drivers as they drive by and inform them how they should have better spent their money? It’s just a graphics card man. It’s just somebody that bought one of those graphics cards on the internet who now gets to fully enjoy 4K. Don’t get so worked up over it.

Sigh. So much butthurt here. I think there is something deeper going on with you.
I will be slaying 4K with a single card. That was my goal. The 2080 Ti does it. I’m thrilled.
I’m sorry you feel the personal need to keep informing people on how to spend or not spend their money.
As another poster said in another thread, do you roll down your windows and yell at BMW, Benz and Porsche drivers as they drive by and inform them how they should have better spent their money? It’s just a graphics card man. It’s just somebody that bought one of those graphics cards on the internet who now gets to fully enjoy 4K. Don’t get so worked up over it.
Heatlessun has the right idea with SLI for 4K. Single card really isn't that great yet.

Not trying to make an argument but those people who bought the BMW, Benz & Porsche were able to use every feature available for the product at the time of purchase. And were also able to review performance numbers before their purchase.

Your going around the threads telling everyone how great it is and how the rest of us are clueless to it's greatness. Seems like your trying to justify it to yourself. I own a race car and spend about 500 bucks a weekend to run it, it's a blast and I have a lot of fun doing it. But no way in hell am I going to sit here and say it's a great deal and well worth the money, it's not but I get enough joy out of it. But if someone disagrees then I understand that point of view as well, I dont feel the need to defend it to them. I also ignored you until you felt the need to call me clueless so if you dont like my opinion then dont poke the bear. Also I dont notice those cars when I am driving my Hellcat, having too much fun and I spent less then them :)

Your going around the threads telling everyone how great it is and how the rest of us are clueless to it's greatness. Seems like your trying to justify it to yourself. I own a race car and spend about 500 bucks a weekend to run it, it's a blast and I have a lot of fun doing it. But no way in hell am I going to sit here and say it's a great deal and well worth the money, it's not but I get enough joy out of it. But if someone disagrees then I understand that point of view as well, I dont feel the need to defend it to them. I also ignored you until you felt the need to call me clueless so if you dont like my opinion then dont poke the bear. Also I dont notice those cars when I am driving my Hellcat, having too much fun and I spent less then them :)
Nope - not going around all over the place, just bringing some sanity to the constant ignorant posting saying it’s a flop and nobody should buy and blah blah.
Simply not true if you play at 4K. You must not play at 4K. Again, if you play at 1440p, then yeah, doesn’t make sense. You’re in a position to skip this gen.
And I’d take a Porsche all day to Sunday over a Hellcat. And pay more to do it. Just sayin. Great example though as I’m not going to coach you on your purchase decisions. :)
Who am I to tell you or others how to spend money? See how that works?

I need to know, should I trade in 2x GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC for an RTX 2080 Ti?

Im only intrrested @ 4K gaming.

Back