RTX 2080 Ti versus TITAN V

So we have a 2080 Ti leak 3DMark score of 12,825. No clockspeed data but probably at 2GHz like GTX 2080 3dmark leak.

This is faster than the stock Titan V score of 12,300.

DmGJ1HhXoAAmwY0.jpg

titan-v-benchmark-timespy.png

Last edited:
So we have a 2080 Ti leak 3DMark score of 12,825. No clockspeed data but probably at 2GHz like GTX 2080 3dmark leak.

This is faster than the stock Titan V score of 12,300.

Very likely an overclocked one. Based on the core counts, there is no way 2080 Ti can even perform on par with Titan V around the same clock speed.

Very likely an overclocked one. Based on the core counts, there is no way 2080 Ti can even perform on par with Titan V around the same clock speed.

Nvidia did overclock the founder edition this time. I am sure they are running at higher speed with the cooling it has. There is a reason they are overclocked lol.

Yes most likely since the 2080 was overclocked to 2025MHz for the 3dmark score leak, this one is probably around there as well. If these leaks are correct, a 2080 Ti would need to hit about 2.4 GHz to match the Gamernexus OCed Titan V.

They are using the same architecture. IPC should be relatively the same.
I haven't seen anything saying that Volta and Turing are the same except from internet armchair analysts. All I know is that NVIDIA said the SM array is entirely new, so that is what I'm going on.

I haven't seen anything saying that Volta and Turing are the same except from internet armchair analysts. All I know is that NVIDIA said the SM array is entirely new, so that is what I'm going on.

It could be new. But in regular games if SM array was 50% faster and you 21% more cores and faster clock speed. It should be close to 70% faster in regular games which it doesn’t sound like it from Nvidia. May be Nvidia is claiming the hybrid rasterisation with DLSS and stuff on. Who knows.

Volta and turing both have 64 cores per SM, whereas Pascal has 128.

well no wonder nvidia is pushing DLSS to everyone and going out of their way to crunch games on their servers and then you downloading necessary game files through geforce experience. DLSS might be great but it is still something that is not out of the box! Thats why I always will go for brute force out of the box. That is going to be 7nm I guess. There is always a generation of cards that you can skip and this is one of those. Overpriced under delivering compared to pascal out of the box.

This is only 6 games and I hope this leak source can be trusted even though it's a broken nda. But the presentation sure looks nice and fancy. Very close, so need more games in more tests in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Look like 2080 Ti is identical to Titan V's chip. The only reason why 2080 Ti beat it in some cases are due to overclock and newer driver.

Titan V should still be the king of performance since it got much more CUDA cores. Just need a better cooling for overclocking.

Look like 2080 Ti is identical to Titan V's chip. The only reason why 2080 Ti beat it in some cases are due to overclock and newer driver.

Titan V should still be the king of performance since it got much more CUDA cores. Just need a better cooling for overclocking.

Shh dont tell Vega that since he dumped his Titan V for a 2080 Ti.

I am sure a person like Vega even cares lol. He loves playing with the latest and greatest and doesn't have a issuse spending more on his tech hobby then most people make in a year.

This is only 6 games and I hope this leak source can be trusted even though it's a broken nda. But the presentation sure looks nice and fancy. Very close, so need more games in more tests in the coming weeks.

That's the youtube channel that is suspicious. Look at the 2080 video, after watching the 2080ti video, paying attention to the gameplay segments.. they appear identical. All they did was change the numbers and card names... It's just a clickbait video to make youtube $$.

Yeah Gamernexus tested it on their stream today with a 2GHz Titan V and 2.13 GHz 2080 Ti:

Timespy Extreme score was ~7800 for Titan V and ~7400 for 2080 Ti.

Also Sniper Elite 4 was ~145 fps for Titan V and ~130 fps for 2080 Ti.

So basically if you switch you get a better air cooler for better temps and cooling and more consistent clockspeeds. But if you were already water cooling a Titan V you are basically downgrading performance by around ~5% since 2080 Ti simply can't make up the CUDA core deficit with clockspeed (max clocks only about ~150ish MHz higher).

Last edited:
Well on the bright side the 2080ti is less than half the price of the Titan V lol.

That's the only good news to come out of this launch as far as I'm concerned. Other than that it's very much a joke since Ray Tracing and DLSS are still a way off.

Yeah Gamernexus tested it on their stream today with a 2GHz Titan V and 2.13 GHz 2080 Ti:

So basically if you switch you get a better air cooler for better temps and cooling and more consistent clockspeeds. But if you were already water cooling a Titan V you are basically downgrading performance by around ~5% since 2080 Ti simply can't make up the CUDA core deficit with clockspeed (max clocks only about ~150ish MHz higher).

Oh interesting, I'll have to watch that. I still have my V and FTW3 2080Ti won't be here for weeks. If what GN is saying is true, I may just stick with the V. Although, DLSS may change the equation...

That begs the question, why can't I use DLSS on my V....

Well on the bright side the 2080ti is less than half the price of the Titan V lol.

That's the only good news to come out of this launch as far as I'm concerned. Other than that it's very much a joke since Ray Tracing and DLSS are still a way off.
Ay, but Titan V owners also had the benefit of using the card for the past 9 months.

$3K for a card known to have performance capped due to heat issues, I can't imagine anyone that's using the Titan V for games hasn't spent the cash to liquid cool it.

Oh just saw the new driver patch notes. Apparently RTX is supported on Volta, ie: Titan V. Maybe I will be keeping it after all.

Oh just saw the new driver patch notes. Apparently RTX is supported on Volta, ie: Titan V. Maybe I will be keeping it after all.

Just confirms what the 2000 series is based on, glad to see they are going to add it in for you as a Volta owner.

That begs the question, why can't I use DLSS on my V....

Yeah this is why it makes sense to stick with the 2080 Ti, it's going to be the better supported gaming product most likely.

(btw "begging the question" implies fallacy of some self-validating circular reasoning ...)

Last edited:
Buuuuuuuuuut guys, Turing is totally new architecture!!!!!!!!!1111oneone

NVIDIA RTXTM Technology
NVIDIA RTX supports the Microsoft DirectX Raytracing (DXR) API on NVIDIA Volta
and Turing GPUs.

In order to get started with developing DirectX Raytracing applications accelerated by
RTX, you'll need the following:
•NVIDIA Volta or Turing GPU
•Windows 10 RS4

:rolleyes:

Looks more like "Skylake vs Kaby Lake" or "Haswell vs Broadwell" kind of differences.

Buuuuuuuuuut guys, Turing is totally new architecture!!!!!!!!!1111oneone

Who said that? All I remember hearing about Titan V was that it was designed as a platform for AI developers, so it kinda stands to reason that it would be able to implement many of the features developed for the RTX cards.

Ok I think Tom's should be reputable enough, maybe? Er it's Tom's Guide which is not connected with Tom's Hardware, right? So not really sure if this is a decent benchmark. Could've had a few more games in the test I guess. It's dated only two days ago.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-benchmarks,review-5779.html

Reputable as in they were the only publication that said "you should buy RTX because when you die, you will regret not living your life raytraced" before cards were even sent to reviewers to be benchmarked. Also they selected the modes that made the Titan V look weaker than the 2080 Ti when possible, such as using a DX12 path of Battlefield 1 which the driver where only the 2080 Ti performed as well in DX12 as it did in DX11. So...yeah.

Either way the conclusion is garbage. The 2080 Ti boosts to around 1900 MHz out of the box, whereas the Titan V only boosts to around 1650 MHz without overclocking. The 3Dmark records are still dominated by Titan Vs outside of a LN2 run by Kingpin.

I have Titan V.

Should I:

1. sell and get a 2080Ti
2. Water-cool Titan V
3. Do nothing and play on air

???

Display Resolution: 3840 x 1600

Right now It runs 43'C idle and 83'C under load (warm room). No OC.

I have Titan V.

Should I:

1. sell and get a 2080Ti
2. Water-cool Titan V

???

I vote do nothing. Unless you're super into water cooling as a fun hobby, it is a complete waste of money. Yes, you will get nice gains for the TITAN V with it, but at what cost and how will it affect resale of your $3k card that has many more purposes than just gaming?

Selling would be for all intents and purposes a sidegrade. Yes, you would gain FPS in some titles but would it affect actual in game "feel"?

I'd hang onto it, stand pat, and wait for all this 2080 Ti hype to kind of die down. TITAN V prices will normalize in the second hand market and you will still be able to sell for a nice chunk of change 1-3 months down the road if you get bored.

If he can get near full price for teh Titan V, I'd switch. As long as it didn't involve eBay.

If he can get near full price for teh Titan V, I'd switch. As long as it didn't involve eBay.

Yes, if you aren't already water cooling, sell the Titan V. An air-cooled Titan V is performs worse than a 2080 Ti.

I have Titan V.

Should I:

1. sell and get a 2080Ti
2. Water-cool Titan V

???

If you can get a 2080 Ti for near msrp and sell the Titan V for around 1800ish, and the extra money is worth it to you, then you probably should sell it. The 2080 Ti will be a little faster than an air cooled Titan V, but of course it depends on your case. If you are using a mini itx case, then probably not, since an open air card will increase the thermals of all your other components (PSU, CPU, mobo, etc).

Last edited:
I have Titan V.

Should I:

1. sell and get a 2080Ti
2. Water-cool Titan V

???

Water-cool it and enjoy the king of the hill for another generation. Only way for 2080ti to perform better is extreme cooling i.e. LN/waterchiller

Last edited:
Back