RTX 2080 Ti & RTX 2080 for Video Rendering? Save Your Money

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What kind of performance improvement can content creators expect with NVIDIA’s latest GPUs in regard to video rendering? Not much, according to HardwareCanuck’s latest video: lesser parts such as the 1080 Ti appear to perform similarly with the RTX 2080 Ti and 2080 for a variety of jobs in Adobe Premier and Davinci Resolve. Part of the reason is that the software merely hasn’t been updated to take advantage of Tensor Cores and other RTX-specific features.

The gaming performance of NVIDIA's RTX 2080 and 2080Ti has been covered a lot but what about video rendering performance in Adobe Premier and Davinci Resolve? We test whether or not NVIDIA's Turing GPUs are really worth the money for creators who also like to play PC games.

FYI DaVinci Resolve is the fucking tits. I use it for my Linux Gaming videos, and it's super powerful and responsive. Runs on win/mac/Lin and the free version has most of the features! I highly recommend it to anyone!

I'll have to watch this video when I get a chance, interesting findings...

Part of the reason is that the software merely hasn’t been updated to take advantage of Tensor Cores and other RTX-specific features.

I don't do professional video rendering but I do keep a number of ripping software for transferring our discs to a kodi 8tb player. I remember when NV changed some things about the API for NVenc towards the end of Maxwell and going into Pascal it took the better part of 8-14 months for most software to catch up. Especially so because many use the same engine. In light of that history this seems pretty normal. The real question is how long till the developers catch up this time?

FYI DaVinci Resolve is the fucking tits. I use it for my Linux Gaming videos, and it's super powerful and responsive. Runs on win/mac/Lin and the free version has most of the features! I highly recommend it to anyone!
I can't second this enough, if you're looking to get into anything beyond the most basic YouTube/iMovie editing, Resolve is fantastic. It's similar enough to other pro editing software (NLEs) that you won't have to unlearn bad habits, the baked-in color correction (Davinci's core business is cinema color) is great and newly updated audio suite means you've got everything you'd need. The paid versions add more filters and 4k output along with tech support, but by the time you'll need the pro features you'll be making money off it. None of the locked-in FCP Apple ecosystem and unlike Adobe everything's baked in, rather than trying to piece together what you need before giving up and dropping $50/mo on CC.

Yes, I use it to edit my 4k videos, it uses 50% of my 2950x @ 4.2Ghz and 30% of my Titan Xp, and renders 4K in real-time, even will color correction and some LUTs.

The more I read, the more this generation sounds like a hard pass.

Not really related to 'this generation'- you have to be doing quite a bit to a video to get good GPU usage, and even then, it's not a lot. You're much better off getting something functional for the GPU and putting your money in CPU, memory, and storage.

And this is more the fault of the software developers, which is actually what the OP is about: developers haven't taken the time to use the hardware, so it goes under-utilized.

The more I read, the more this generation sounds like a hard pass.

Terrible logic considering what is being talked about only applies to very small subset of video editors who actually take full advantage of the performance.

And how does it work in actual rendering, like iray?

<sarcasm>Yeah, stupid software guys, even though it just started shipping this week, you suckers should have already coded for it. </sarcasm>

<sarcasm>Yeah, stupid software guys, even though it just started shipping this week, you suckers should have already coded for it. </sarcasm>
I know you're asking them to code and compile for cards that A) not that people have B) is limited by generation C) compatibility testing so that it doesn't break 90/% of the other users D) optimizing for just the CPU architectures offer much bigger gains with more developer support behind it. There's just not much of a reason to do it aside from helping Nvidia with proprietary tech demos.

Wow; this is good news for Linux since most of the editors available are low end. I could have use some descent color correction tools recently. Was working on some video Dad shot in Alaska while church planting in the 90s. He didn't white balance before he shot the video and everything had a blue hue to it. I use Kdenlive but unfortunately got mediocre results. :(

Last edited:
I switched from kdenlive to DaVinci Resolve, and it's night and day. kdenlive is a good tool, with glaring flaws to it. Namely, lack of good use of GPUs, lack of ability to be used in certain DEs (XFCE4), etc. But DaVinci Resolve hasn't given me any performance or stability issues at all, it renders fast! And more!

Wow; this is good news for Linux since most of the editors available are low end. I could have use some descent color correction tools recently. Was working on some video Dad shot in Alaska while church planting in the 90s. He didn't white balance before he shot the video and everything had a blue hue to it. I use Kdenlive but unfortunately got mediocre results. :(

I switched from kdenlive to DaVinci Resolve, and it's night and day. kdenlive is a good tool, with glaring flaws to it. Namely, lack of good use of GPUs, lack of ability to be used in certain DEs (XFCE4), etc. But DaVinci Resolve hasn't given me any performance or stability issues at all, it renders fast! And more!

I always liked working with video since I got a taste of it in the mid 90s; working with some of the early DV video capture cards. Back then it was Premiere version 4.5 if I recall running on windows 95.
Talk about a stability nightmare.

Back