RTX 2080 Ti RMA Rate "Under 0.01%," GTX 1080 Ti Stock Almost Gone

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Despite multiple alleged reports of NVIDIA’s RTX 2080 Ti failing spectacularly, Gamers Nexus’s board-partner contacts suggest there isn’t anything inherently wrong with how the $1,000+ GPUs were put together, as the amount of RMA requests have been typical and sitting at under 0.01%. Steve also notes that GTX 1080 Ti stock is dwindling, which is of little surprise to anyone who has been browsing the usual storefronts for a 2080 alternative.

Talking to all of our board partner contacts off-record, none of them have reported higher RMA requests than normally. We trust our contacts on these and spoke with nearly everyone in the market. The most common RMA reasons haven’t changed from previous generations, and actual RMA rate is exceptionally low right now. Some board partners are at under 0.01%, which is just because these devices are so new that no one has even had a chance to encounter serious problems yet.

SickBeast likes this.
  2. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

.01%? Uh. Ok.

Seems insanely low.

AthlonXP, HockeyJon, AlphaQup and 8 others like this.
  3. DrBorg

DrBorg Gawd

Why does this sound like the Iraqi Information Minister?

Nothing to see here; please move along... Ignore these tanks...

4. SickBeast

SickBeast Limp Gawd

It sure makes you wonder who created the entire smoke screen and **** show, doesn't it? I have a pretty good idea, personally.

5. Imhotep

Imhotep Gawd

We will know more in 2-3 weeks ... :D

6. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

AIB partners are just about as invested in pushing the newest products as nVidia. Certainly seems like more are failing than normal.

Regardless of actual rates this launch is a shit show.

7. sleepybp

sleepybp Limp Gawd

.01% of the 1000 cards shipped?
    that means only a few bad cards..... not bad.

8. rinaldo00

rinaldo00 [H]ard|Gawd

.01% Is 1 in 10,000 - sounds bogus

9. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

"Seems like" is a really hard thing to quantify. Steve makes a good point in his video, 2080 ti buyers are more likely to be enthusiasts and as part of that are more likely to post on hardware forums or places like Reddit than the average person buying mid-range cards. Without solid sales numbers on these cards it is near impossible to make a call one way or the other. If GN's investigation shows all of these cards failing for the same reason, even if it is a normal or below-average RMA rate, it could still be troubling and something to keep an eye on.

Edit: Something else to consider as well. It's good that the hardware media picked up on the reports and are keeping users informed, but all the reporting does make everything feel like a bigger problem than it may turn out to be. Seeing it reported all over the place could cause a handful of reports to suddenly seem like a massive, wide-spread, problem that is effecting every card.

10. lollerwaffle

lollerwaffle Gawd

his product launch is strange and confusing.

First of all, why is any Ti released along with the regular product right away? In this case, to drive up the price.

The 1080 was released like a year before the 1080Ti. It made sense.
    Now it's like the 2080Ti is what the 2080 used to be in spirit, but because NV seems to need the money or can drive the price for lack of competition, they release what SHOULD be the 2080 as the 2080Ti and expect us to open our wallets in a major way.

I'm of the "screw it" variety, keeping my 1070 going on a new G-SYNC screen to deal with framerate dips and waiting another 2 years.

11. rinaldo00

rinaldo00 [H]ard|Gawd

That would be one tenth of a card was bad.

Armenius likes this.
  12. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

That is why I used the words seems like, I only use the polls here and really don't read too much news as it's just one big echo chamber (5000 articles for one event).

The reality is this launch has been a shit show. Nothing in stock for ti's over a month post launch, after being delayed a week, and still no sign of RTX features on SotTR. Maybe that will change come BF5's launch but my instincts say it won't.

2080's languishing on shelves as well, very little product movement at my local stores anyway.

Circling back, we have reports of failures, even in these very forums. What a mess. Any time someone says you need to redefine performance, they're shoveling it to you.

N4CR likes this.
  13. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Looks like the 2000 series succeeded......in selling their 1080 crypto overstock.

HockeyJon, spine, Jza and 2 others like this.
  14. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

Must be the miners, eh?

2018-11-04_22-07-36.png

Armenius, Archaea and SickBeast like this.
  15. SickBeast

SickBeast Limp Gawd

Either nVidia has shut down the studio so they can figure out what's going on in terms of QC, or else people are ready, willing, and able to pay $1000+ for a GPU. I lean toward the latter being true and that means it's a sad day for gaming, IMO.

16. readeh

readeh Limp Gawd

0.01% ? Well I guess I must be really unlucky then :eek:
    Had to send my EVGA 2080ti back, but I also had to send my EVGA 1080ti back at release.
    I highly doubt they are telling the truth as it sounds almost impossible for any hardware having such low returns.

LightsOut41 and eclypse like this.
  17. valkrien

valkrien Limp Gawd

I should play the lottery more often! I'm winning like crazy over here with 2 dead TI's and counting! Man, what are the odds?

Armenius, psyclist, Patton187 and 8 others like this.
  18. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Sounds "managed", especially considering all the control nVidia exhibits over their vendors. i.e. Highest binnings first, metrics only considering certain vendors, not counting cards that have not yet returned from distributors/PoS. Who knows.

19. dR.Jester

dR.Jester 2[H]4U

My new 1080 Ti will be arriving on Tuesday! Could not be happier with the purchase, glad I skipped this gen.

LightsOut41 and MatthewK like this.
  20. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

Under 0.01%?

giphy.gif

Nukester, Mav451, Nytegard and 6 others like this.
  21. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Nice. :)

Side note: I wonder if the low stock of 1080s is due to Walmart's latest venture.

JStamsek likes this.
  22. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

NVIDIA Gamescom 2018 GeForce RTX 20 Series Launch:

NVIDIA_Gamescom_2018_GeForce_RTX_20_Series_Launch.png

23. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

There seems to be stock showing up at least every week, not saying dozens, but at least accessible enough that I can walk into a store and pick it up. I think a lot of speculators tossing these in ebay.

24. NWRMidnight

NWRMidnight Limp Gawd

It is FE cards that are having the higher returns, most AIB cards have better coolers on them. Nvidia even admitted they are seeing issues cropping up, which means that it is above normal, otherwise they wouldn't be saying anything.

25. SickBeast

SickBeast Limp Gawd

What I am hearing is that it's 4% instead of the usual 2%. Not exactly the **** show that certain people would have you believe.

26. Imhotep

Imhotep Gawd

This is from Tom's Hardware Germany. 2080 Ti FE. That is a bit hot with longevity in mind. They claim the connections/power traces run too close to the memory chips. Not enough layers on the pcb .?

Untitled.png 2080 Ti

Armenius, the901 and SickBeast like this.
  27. SickBeast

SickBeast Limp Gawd

Thanks for that. We are dealing with a new GPU on a new process with new memory using a new cooler. What could possibly go wrong, right?

Armenius likes this.
  28. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Armenius, JStamsek and Jza like this.
  29. encore2097

encore2097 [H]Lite

Light launch with PVT boards in low volume at high prices. Fix issues and delay ramp up while clearing out exisiting stock. Its a win-win, more profit from early adopters and no need to write off existing models. Without an ATi competitor in high end they get to cruise. Nice strategy, kudos to nVIDIA exec team! Maybe I'll get some more stock.

Doubt anything will happen Nov. 6 but we'll see.

30. FrgMstr

Go look at the poll linked? Think whatever you want to about it.

Armenius, Nytegard, the901 and 3 others like this.
  31. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Another very good point/observation...

32. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I'm relieved to be honest. After $1300 dollars and a $950 dollar monitor.

33. FrgMstr

Yeah, you guys are breaking down all sorts of crazy things that we never thought of. Think of it what you will, we just asked our community members some simple questions. To better understand people's' experiences, I would suggest reading the thread.

Armenius, motqalden and haste. like this.
  34. FrgMstr

FWIW, I think the 0.01% is a bit off. Go read all the reports of dead cards in the GeForce forums. Ooof.

DrBorg, Nytegard, haste. and 3 others like this.
  35. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

.01 seems low.

I would think it would be closer to .05 since its a new launch.

Thankfully thats me in the safer 1080ti evga crowd.

;)

36. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Yes, I trust Gamers Nexus reporting on possible Nvidia issues very much after that oh-so-standard NDA signing.

<0.01%?! It's as if they're covertly hinting at the opposite by stating such an absurdly low number.

37. Meaker

Meaker Official representative of powernotebooks.com!

As they said in the report, 0.01% because we are so early on. It's too soon to judge that number.

38. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Skimming through that RTX problem poll thread. I mean, sure it's a small sample set, and sure the [H] are going to be expecting more (and squeezing more) out of their kit than the average user, likely incurring more problems, but it does look more realistic thinking back to previous major product launches. Nuke brings up an interesting thought.

Conveniently skewing these numbers affects charts (stock).

39. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I think the [H] poll requires a modification to the broken ones; you can't link what type of model got broken to which model broke.

Nytegard likes this.
  40. alamox

alamox Gawd

0.01% on how many sold ? And RMA of what AIB, especially that most reports are for founder edition not AIB.
    Gonna have to wait to get to the bottom of this.