RTX 2080 Ti GPUs Go Missing at AIBs

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Surely there has been lots of talk about RTX 2080 Ti cards lately and issues with those. NVIDIA has now admitted as much on its forums. We are getting word out of China now, that AIBs are now having a very hard time getting 2080 Ti GPUs from NVIDIA. We are not sure why there is a supply issue now in order for AIBs to build new cards, but this could possibly be a sign that NVIDIA is holding back inventory for some reason. RTX 2080 has plenty of stock. RTX 2070 has plenty of stock. Where are the 2080 Ti GPUs? Maybe NVIDIA is using all its inventory for RMAs?

Have you seen me?

Last edited:
All the people in the Chinese factory are taking a couple cards home first for their own gaming rigs.

Lets put more nVidia conspiracy articles up on HardOCP.
When I get rock solid information from industry sources that I have known for decades, I am going to write about it. Sorry you don't like being in the know, but we have reported on FACTS, and if all this is happening because of a a couple of "test escape" GPUs, I have a bridge to sell you. But what do I know, I have only been dealing with this industry first hand for 20+ years.

The die is so big on the 2080ti, I wonder if they are having yield issues?

Seems like it would be a good part to produce on 7nm. Maybe they are switching. Smaller node process would lower the cost. They might be saving them as you suggest to ensure they can Rma or have enough new cards so they can recall some of their own branded cards, now that they actually identified a manufacturing issue. They should also know a serial number range affected by the "test escape" quality control issue.

Kyle, can you get any clarification out of them regarding that test escape issue, as in does it only affect nVidia branded cards? Were any AIB's affected?

I suspect it is just their own stuff. Knowing this would let anyone with EVGA, Zotac, etc. breathe a little easier (If I am right that only nVidia branded cards are affected).

I suspect it is just their own stuff. Knowing this would let anyone with EVGA, Zotac, etc. breathe a little easier (If I am right that only nVidia branded cards are affected).

As an EVGA owner I've been watching this pretty carefully and it seems like we're mostly safe. Obviously there was the flaming card from the [H] front page yesterday, but there don't seem to be (m)any other EVGA horror stories. Ditto with Zotac and ASUS, too. It might not be exclusive to Nvidia branded cards, but it does seem to mostly be those.

I would argue that its fairly obvious they are having yield issues. The only card worth buying this generation is the 2080Ti*. It is selling for a ludicrous premium over the others, but yet there aren't enough to satisfy demand.

* This statement made based on the fact that a 1080Ti is near the 2080 performance, and the 1080 is near the 2070 performance. An astute buyer could buy a used card with the balance of the factory warranty for hundreds less than the 2XXX parts.

Kyle, can you get any clarification out of them regarding that test escape issue, as in does it only affect nVidia branded cards? Were any AIB's affected?
NVIDIA will not speak to me since GPP exposure and not signing its 5 year blanket NDA. So, no, NVIDIA will clarify nothing for HardOCP. That statement NVIDIA made about test escapes was specific to the 2080 Ti FE cards.

Maybe the 2080Ti chips are being sent to non-Chinese manufacturers, to get around the tariffs?
Not sure why NVidia wouldn't go public with that info, tho.

Don't like it, tell nVidia to get their shit in gear.
Whatever that means.

Until their cards aren't sold out everywhere at the pricepoints they're asking, they seem to have their shit right where they want it.

Thanks. Since it only applies to Founders Edition cards, which only nVidia sells under their own brand, anyone with ASUS, EVGA, Zotac, MSI, shouldn't have to worry about a recall issue due to manufacturing.
That is assuming that NVIDIA did not manufacture any cards for those brands. At launch, it is common for NV/AMD to build cards for AIBs, then AIBs install their own coolers.

Nvidia is creating a false supply and wants consumers to keeping paying for the over priced 2080 TI card to increase the demand. Nintendo did the same thing with the nes classic and snes classic.

They did the same thing when they made people sign up for pre orders before the card was released or benchmarks were known. IMO this nvidia launch has been the worst product launch in history of the company.
personally i think their egos have gone over the top due to the stock price going through the roof the last 5 years.

RTX is a joke , and so is nvidia. I will happily keep my 1080ti in SLI for another t 1.5 years until these 2080ti cards drop 50 percent on ebay and any hidden fixes which might be happening behind the scenes or when the next gen comes out which hopefully do not catch on fire

I am surprised a class action lawsuit has not occurred yet!

Whatever that means.

Until their cards aren't sold out everywhere at the pricepoints they're asking, they seem to have their shit right where they want it.

You know exactly what that means, remember context is important. For the nitpick police your pretty fast and loose.

I predict much Evga 'B' stock in great supply in the coming days. ;)

'Game Ready' for space invaders?

In all seriousness, they are getting bit in the ass right now. Sell a GPU for an exorbitant price and now they have to replace a good chunk of these cards due to bad "test escapes". I am sure this is eating into their record profits one way or another.

Forbes? Just about anyone can write stories for Forbes, I would advise taking anything on there with a grain of salt.

He talks about Kyle's thermal images, and describes the temperature as a "Scalding 138F!" Which equals 59.2C. We all know GPU's commonly run in the 70's, and in the 80's isn't unheard of. Even if 138F is technically scalding, the way he uses it implies that the temperature is abnormal. This is certainly how it will come across to anyone non-technical. Kyle's temps looks pretty good, but this guy doesn't seem to know that... which makes me question his technical knowledge and/or understanding, or he was trying to be misleading or sensationlist. YMMV

Forbes? Just about anyone can write stories for Forbes, I would advise taking anything on there with a grain of salt.

He talks about Kyle's thermal images, and describes the temperature as a "Scalding 138F!" Which equals 59.2C. We all know GPU's commonly run in the 70's, and in the 80's isn't unheard of. Even if 138F is technically scalding, the way he uses it implies that the temperature is abnormal. This is certainly how it will come across to anyone non-technical. Kyle's temps looks pretty good, but this guy doesn't seem to know that... which makes me question his technical knowledge and/or understanding, or he was trying to be misleading or sensationlist. YMMV
Who knew that Forbes was even writing articles about technology... o_O

Nvidia is creating a false supply and wants consumers to keeping paying for the over priced 2080 TI card to increase the demand. Nintendo did the same thing with the nes classic and snes classic.

They did the same thing when they made people sign up for pre orders before the card was released or benchmarks were known. IMO this nvidia launch has been the worst product launch in history of the company.
personally i think their egos have gone over the top due to the stock price going through the roof the last 5 years.

RTX is a joke , and so is nvidia. I will happily keep my 1080ti in SLI for another t 1.5 years until these 2080ti cards drop 50 percent on ebay and any hidden fixes which might be happening behind the scenes or when the next gen comes out which hopefully do not catch on fire

I am surprised a class action lawsuit has not occurred yet![/QUOT

actually I think Blizzard manage to take the worst product launch award
but they do deserve a silver for it

Putting words in my mouth, but okay--I'll accept it as my failure to articulate my point better, which was that until prices come down and/or the cards aren't still sold out everywhere, I don't see to see what difference supply chain issues - real or speculated - make to customers and end users. I don't care how the pizza is made.

Supply chain issues creates the situation of stocking being 'back ordered' everywhere, they are one and the same. The result to end users is that product stock is not available to purchase, and has the appearance of being sold out. The reality is being brought to light that the product is not sold out, but that supplies are constrained, and a lot of blame is being pushed onto the failure rate of the 2080 Ti.

This shit is of nVidia's own making, no one forced them to launch this product, no one is responsible for its design and any defects in it except for nVidia. If you want negative nVidia news out of the headlines, tell them to clean up their shit.

Putting words in my mouth, but okay--I'll accept it as my failure to articulate my point better, which was that until prices come down and/or the cards aren't still sold out everywhere, I don't see to see what difference supply chain issues - real or speculated - make to customers and end users. I don't care how the pizza is made.
I read this as the news before the news. Kyle is reporting on information he has received from reputable sources. Whether it's obvious to you now or obvious to you later, if AIB partners don't receive stock from Nvidia, customers (like you and me) won't be able to purchase their products.

Just because I'm reaching into the cookie jar with my eyes closed and grabbing cookies now, doesn't mean I should ignore my friend with his eyes open saying theres not many left.

Who knew that Forbes was even writing articles about technology... o_O

Forbes has articles on damn near anything at the moment. I think all it takes is someone submitting an article to them. They just want clicks from anyone and everyone.

Well, I'm definitely not getting a 2080Ti. It's a cashgrab because there's no competition. But 2019 is going to be interesting with some AMD releases and Intel having their gaming card right around the corner.

Well, I'm definitely not getting a 2080Ti. It's a cashgrab because there's no competition. But 2019 is going to be interesting with some AMD releases and Intel having their gaming card right around the corner.

They couldnt pay me to put the 2080 TI into my computer unless they provided me with Fire Insurance for my entire house
Especially with my computer being left on 24/7

It would be nice to see naked pix of a Working, non-failing PCB, to compare to the Standard PCB.

I'd like to see if there are more capacitors on the working ones, in the area that burned.

The "Escape Fail" they refer to may be "The pick n place machines ran out of caps, and we didn't notice.

:) That's an expensive Fab operation, there.

Hell, I has a PCB vendor leave out a layer of insulator once, lol.

And forget to remove a piece of plastic that covered part of a layer; 6 PCB's (out of 450) had a plane, instead of a layer of traces. :)

Seems like it would be a good part to produce on 7nm. Maybe they are switching. Smaller node process would lower the cost. They might be saving them as you suggest to ensure they can Rma or have enough new cards so they can recall some of their own branded cards, now that they actually identified a manufacturing issue. They should also know a serial number range affected by the "test escape" quality control issue.

This is why I suspect the 2000 series will be a relatively short lived foot note in the grand scheme of things. With TSMC having spooled up into full 7nm production I can't fathom why Nvidia would sit on a half step node for very long when there is such a yield gain to be had.

This is why I suspect the 2000 series will be a relatively short lived foot note in the grand scheme of things. With TSMC having spooled up into full 7nm production I can't fathom why Nvidia would sit on a half step node for very long when there is such a yield gain to be had.

My uninformed opinion is that they can afford to sit on it a while. I'm not saying it's going to have the durability of ages or anything, but in the consumer space there really isn't significant competition.

My uninformed opinion is that they can afford to sit on it a while. I'm not saying it's going to have the durability of ages or anything, but in the consumer space there really isn't significant competition.
Depends on the margins and sell through between a higher yield 7m part and a lower yield 12nm. If the math's works out in 7nm favour it would be very hard to justify hanging on.

There’s a really interesting group think around this launch. Most people post complete nonsense and news sites seem to have gone off to the sensationalist end. Feels a lot like politics. X is bad but when you ask why they can’t actually tell you.

Not saying nVidia didn’t maul the launch but there’s an abnornal amount of nonsense.
Let's talk about the TOPIC and not what you think about the people discussing the topic.

Keep Calm 2.png

I would say the shortage of 2080ti GPUs... has absolutely to do with consumer uptake, or RMA stock holding or anything of that nature.

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-record-adoption-of-new-turing-t4-cloud-gpu

Turing is binned like every other card. For 2080 and 2070 there is no issue cause all the server reject parts go just fine in those cards.

The 2080 TI however is basically a fully functioning Turing chip... and Nvidia claims to be selling a ton of them in more lucrative markets. Which seems logical... those "RT" Cores their marketing department has been trying to sell gaming suckers on. Are really a gaming related marketing invention to find a use for a "Multi-Precision Tensor Core GPU" there is great demand for Tensor cores capable of INT 8 speed calculations. It doesn't shock me that NV has been having a hard time producing enough fully functioning chips to fuel their T4 sales... never mind supplying 2080 tis.

Unless AMD starts moving a lot of there 7nm Navi server cards... I would expect 2080 ti shortages for quite awhile.

EDIT: I am surprised it doesn't seem to be hitting 2080 GPU stock though. The T4 is actually clocked lower then the 2080 tis to hit their power envelope goals. I wonder though if even at the lower clock speed Nvidia needs to use their grade A silicon for the T4s anyway to stay in the 75w range they need to hit. I don't imagine google and NVs other customers would want to slot 100s of cards that are all chewing even 10 watts of power more then then expected.

Last edited:

My point was that the FE is only sold in one place, and it's no longer listed there.

Who knows why? One reason could be Nvidia stopping shipments on FE boards because they know they have an issue to solve.

A other could be that the GPU itself is on hold, and board partners and retailers are just working through inventory.

With the FE boards invidia controls the GPU's the boards and the retail inventory, so it makes sense that any such decision would show up there first.

My point was that the FE is only sold in one place, and it's no longer listed there.

Who knows why? One reason could be Nvidia stopping shipments on FE boards because they know they have an issue to solve.

A other could be that the GPU itself is on hold, and board partners and retailers are just working through inventory.

With the FE boards invidia controls the GPU's the boards and the retail inventory, so it makes sense that any such decision would show up there first.

Your post only mentions the 2080 ti and that's the thread topic. So yeah I missed your point about the FE whatever.

I'm wondering if this situation is bad to the point of requiring a re-spin. A new stepping.

Your post only mentions the 2080 ti and that's the thread topic. So yeah I missed your point about the FE whatever.

On nvidia's site. Go there and go to the shop. There is no option for a 2080ti.

Screenshot_20181118-001629.jpg

On nvidia's site. Go there and go to the shop. There is no option for a 2080ti.

ok rant on about the FE. It sold out quick. The FE is limited edition anyways so not very surprising.

Last edited:
ok rant on about the FE. It sold out quick. The FE is limited edition anyways so not very surprising.

Man, if Nvidia only sold the fe edition on their site. I mean if you actually looked at the page instead of looking like a fool you would see the manufacturers.

Screenshot_20181118-004450.jpg

Back