RTX 2080 Ti FE Escapes Testing by Dying After 8 Hours @ [H]

That being said, from what I have read on the intenet, the consensus is that the
failure rate is at worst, not significantly above normal for a new GPU release and I feel that some around here are just flogging
a DEAD horse, if you will excuse the pun.

LOL.gif

I love how the shills keep trying even though this is an obvious dumpster inferno.
If you are an RTX owner whose card has failed, you obviously have a right to complain, but I find it laughable how a certain
subsection of GTX10xx owners, people who are sad pandas because they can't afford RTX cards or just hater/trolls per se
never seem to stop whining about Nvidia's RTX series. I'm fairly certain you fall into the latter category.

If you are an RTX owner whose card has failed, you obviously have a right to complain, but I find it laughable how a certain
subsection of GTX10xx owners, people who are sad pandas because they can't afford RTX cards or just hater/trolls per se
never seem to stop whining about Nvidia's RTX series. I'm fairly certain you fall into the latter category.

IMG_20181130_104133.jpg

I'm watching that gpu with a real sceptical look. Because this launch is an actual dumpster inferno. Look a couple of pages back and you'll find another shill/fanboiiii that got a cup of shut the fuck up served after a statement somewhat similar to yours.

2nta31.jpg

Seriously? It's normal for many people to have multiple cards fail like what's been described here?
HardOCP is not exactly an Nvidia friendly site these days and for good reason, but as such, I'm not sure that the experiences (of 2080Ti cards ONLY) reported here can be considered a truly representative sample
of the BIGGER picture. RTX2080Ti is not the only card in the series, lest we forget.

Last edited:
Because you are conversing on a higher level.
In less than an hour you have tried to gloss over what everyone can see is an actual problem, label everyone who sees the problem as poor, haters or trolls, and now I and everyone who agrees with me are childish.
Wow, I salute you on your superior mind and analytical skills. Us poor, stupid [H]ardOCPers are unable to understand how insignificant widespread space invaders and verified multiple RMAs are, and should bow to your superior understanding of the issue.

Because you are conversing on a higher level.
In less than an hour you have tried to gloss over what everyone can see is an actual problem, label everyone who sees the problem as poor, haters or trolls, and now I and everyone who agrees with me are childish.
Wow, I salute you on your superior mind and analytical skills. Us poor, stupid [H]ardOCPers are unable to understand how insignificant widespread space invaders and verified multiple RMAs are, and should bow to your superior understanding of the issue.
Keep it up pal :)

You are assuming they can't afford it. Ever heard the phrase more money than brains? Yeah, might want to check into it. ;)

You are assuming they can't afford it. Ever heard the phrase more money than brains? Yeah, might want to check into it. ;)
Ahh a 1080ti owner, definitely the most unbiased people, when commenting upon the RTX series ;)
Regarding "more money than brains," you may have a point...I guess time will tell, but I'm pretty confident I made the right decision in buying a 2080 rather than a 1080ti.

Yeah after owning nVidia cards for two decades, and having two back to back 2080Tis crash in my games, I have a hard time understanding how anyone could blow this off as a typical GPU fallout rate. Honestly, this has me jaded not only for this generation of card but for the 21xx generation as well.

Last edited:
Ehh I generally skip several generations every time I upgrade my gpu. Just made the jump from a 970 to a 1080 and don't regret it especially since I know the 1080 won't spontaneously explode

I pre-ordered but canceled and it was a good choice it seems.
2080Ti is a great card no doubt, but at that price point I expect it to have a much better quality control.
It's pretty obvious that this first generation of RTX cards is just a rushed cash grab because a storm is brewing in the near future with Intel around the corner and AMD working on a 7nm GPU.

Ahh a 1080ti owner, definitely the most unbiased people, when commenting upon the RTX series ;)
Regarding "more money than brains," you may have a point...I guess time will tell, but I'm pretty confident I made the right decision in buying a 2080 rather than a 1080ti.

So, I can play as well. Based on your username, you are a Ranger who was in the 101st Airborne, right? See how that works, I can make assumptions about you without knowing you at all. For the record, I just upgraded from a 1080 to a 1080Ti to go with a new 1440p monitor. Glad I didn't go for a 2080 based on all the problems I'm seeing. I have no need for a 2080Ti.

So, I can play as well. Based on your username, you are a Ranger who was in the 101st Airborne, right? See how that works, I can make assumptions about you without knowing you at all. For the record, I just upgraded from a 1080 to a 1080Ti to go with a new 1440p monitor. Glad I didn't go for a 2080 based on all the problems I'm seeing. I have no need for a 2080Ti.
Or he flunked out of Ranger school in the beginning 101 class?

So can somebody post GPU-Z numbers on their 2080ti? I see lots of sensor info for temp.

Update: FTW3 2080 TI still rock solid, rocking all the games @ 2160p 60fps. Smooth as butter.

No fires, no nothing. It just works.

What am I doing wrong?

Should I have bought an FE?

The card has had hundreds of sleep/wake events. A few of those wakes resulted in a black screen until a driver update fixed it, then no more wake problems.
Remember the FTW3 is a different beast.

No ESD protection whatsoever on the connections ? Can you test the packing material to see if it's ESD safe ?
I really hate how companies are starting to pack their product... how much does it cost to put ESD caps and ESD packing material (Bag)

Note for the people saying they never broke anything by ESD event, go read on it... it may happen months later.

Yep - I agree on this. I was stunned when I got this card and it wasn't ESD bagged properly.

No ESD protection whatsoever on the connections ? Can you test the packing material to see if it's ESD safe ?
I really hate how companies are starting to pack their product... how much does it cost to put ESD caps and ESD packing material (Bag)

Note for the people saying they never broke anything by ESD event, go read on it... it may happen months later.
Dunno how much the caps would help with modern connectors having pins so close together, but the wrap may be an ESD safe material despite being rather plain. Only prerequisite there is that a charge not be allowed to develop across it's surface, and then ideally it'd be sealed until it can be opened at an ESD workstation (but since normal people don't have those, maybe it's better that it's not sealed...).

Dunno how much the caps would help with modern connectors having pins so close together, but the wrap may be an ESD safe material despite being rather plain. Only prerequisite there is that a charge not be allowed to develop across it's surface, and then ideally it'd be sealed until it can be opened at an ESD workstation (but since normal people don't have those, maybe it's better that it's not sealed...).

Well yes and no, pins are open, there's a hole in the plastic for that. Also ESD can happen as close as 1 feet and that cardboard box generate ESD as its been pulled up for sure.
Also if it's not sealed full it's not effective.

BTW, don't be 100% sure your card won't suddenly brick. Some people had their cards run 3 months perfectly before insta-bricking.

How can they be dying after three months when they were not released until September 27, less than three months ago?

Perhaps the review units that reviewers received a month prior that are now insta-bricking? You know, like the one this whole thread was about to begin with?
That particular one was a retail unit. Pre-order, but retail none the less.

Update: FTW3 2080 TI still rock solid, rocking all the games @ 2160p 60fps. Smooth as butter.

No fires, no nothing. It just works.

What am I doing wrong?

Should I have bought an FE?
played any RTX enabled games yet?

I have now seen 5 reviewers that have had their RTX cards die on them with "space invader" shown on screen on you tube, clearly the RTX cards are the ones to avoid!
Making a mountain out of a molehill there DazzXP, this issue only affects 0.01% of all users, didn't you read the Nvidia press release? Of course reviewers are in the top 0.01% so it only impacts them, the majority of users have no problems!
hand waving intensifies ignore the 25% return rate dead pile of RTX cards at bestbuy reported by a user! That's anecdotal evidence that means nothing, remember, it just works!
(this is your brain on RTX)

played any RTX enabled games yet?

No, why would I? I bought a 2080 TI for 2160p performance, not RT. It delivers on performance!

I suppose I should at least experiment with RT, but I’m not expecting much.

So in-rush is now a culprit? Interesting.
In-rush after a period of time? Some other damage is occurring to setup the start or wake up failure? Can get complicated real quick. Seems like there are many reports where the failure was rather rapid like Kyle's experience with very few previous wakeup/starts. I would think Nvidia would know by now exactly what is causing the failures and why they did not catch it. So are the newer cards good or are they being flushed out before any revision? Meaning let the customer do the testing and fix the ones that fail within warranty while the new fix ones come out later.

In-rush after a period of time? Some other damage is occurring to setup the start or wake up failure? Can get complicated real quick. Seems like there are many reports where the failure was rather rapid like Kyle's experience with very few previous wakeup/starts. I would think Nvidia would know by now exactly what is causing the failures and why they did not catch it. So are the newer cards good or are they being flushed out before any revision? Meaning let the customer do the testing and fix the ones that fail within warranty while the new fix ones come out later.

Well this is kind of my thought as well. Generally speaking, electronics and solid state components fail either just about immediately or not at all(if within their parameters, of course). I highly doubt that in-rush is an issue because I would imagine there is hardly any at all.

Not going to sift thru 13 pages of flame. Any news on the replacement and its testing again?

I fall into the camp of 2080ti cards exist that do have a problem and I own 2 that work fine but may eventually have problems and would like to know WHY the problem exists.

Back