RTX 2080 ti, cooler suddenly loud

shadowj

Limp Gawd
My GPU cooler just started yesterday, suddenly, to run very fast, I didn't play or something
I opened it, checked if there is dust, it looks clean
I installed Windows again but as soon as the OS starts, the cooler starts again to run fast
It doesn't matter if it's the Nvidia driver or the Windows 10 default WDDM driver
In BIOS is quiet.
Could you please help me with this ?
What else should I try ?
Thank you very much, in advance

Did you check temps on it? is it running a stupid fan profile? load up MSI afterburner and check temps. If its not overheating then set a custom fan curve and call it a day.

As I said, i installed Windows, fresh...
I already installed MSI afterburner but couldn't make it quieter
Is there a way to reset the GPU coolers, with some Asus software ??. Thank you

Last edited:
Which 2080 Ti?
Does it spin down to normal after some time?
Do you have multiple monitoring and/or overclocking programs running at the same time?
Have you checked the power connections to the video card and motherboard?

It doesn't spin down to normal, whatever I'm doing
I tried already with MSI Afterburner and ASUS Tweak GPU
Yes, i did check the power connection to the big card and motherboard
You mean those 2 x 8 pin, right ?

I did another try :
I switched the button on the GPU, from P to LQ Mod , its very quiet, now. Like it was it before
Is it safe to leave it like this ? Even when I'm gaming - heavy load ??
THANK YOU

It doesn't spin down to normal, whatever I'm doing
I tried already with MSI Afterburner and ASUS Tweak GPU
Yes, i did check the power connection to the big card and motherboard
You mean those 2 x 8 pin, right ?
  • See below.
  • Whatever you end up with make sure you're only running one of these programs at once. Do not run both at the same time.
  • Okay.
  • Yes, but also the main 20+4 ATX power cable. I've seen instances in PCs that I troubleshot in the past where the ATX was not seated properly (crooked or not all the way in) and that can cause all sorts of issues. Sometimes people are nervous about how much pressure is needed to get that plug in, or it can wiggle loose if you're doing post-build cable management.
I did another try :
I switched the button on the GPU, from P to LQ Mod , its very quiet, now. Like it was it before
Is it safe to leave it like this ? Even when I'm gaming - heavy load ??
THANK YOU
This is why I asked which 2080 Ti. The ROG STRIX defaults to 'P' or "Performance" mode for the BIOS, which uses an aggressive fan curve to keep the GPU as cool as possible since heat is the number one thing that will affect performance. Boost 3.0 works out to about 9 MHz for every 5 Celsius above 40 degrees. 'Q' or "Quiet" mode sets it to 0db mode, which will cause the fans to not spin at all until 60 Celsius and prevent the fans from spinning up above 30-40%. The clock profile should be the same for both modes, but you will most likely see lower clock speed over time due to the thermal throttling built into Boost as mentioned before. Watch your temperatures and switch back to 'P' mode if the card is getting hotter than 84 Celsius.

ASUS asked me to send a video with sound, I did
They said " the grafic card is working fine "
That means, no RMA. That's weird. I paid for it 1300 euro, last year - sommer
In this case, all I can do is, to open it and see what I can do
Any advices are welcome.
Thank you

Armenius, right now I'm using an older GTX 980 Ti
If the ATX cable or some other cables were the issue, I should have the same with GTX 980 Ti
Imo

ASUS asked me to send a video with sound, I did
They said " the grafic card is working fine "
That means, no RMA. That's weird. I paid for it 1300 euro, last year - sommer
In this case, all I can do is, to open it and see what I can do
Any advices are welcome.
Thank you

Armenius, right now I'm using an older GTX 980 Ti
If the ATX cable or some other cables were the issue, I should have the same with GTX 980 Ti
Imo

Read Armenius' post again, he explained it well.

So the thing with Asus is that their coolers tend to sag over time and sometimes the cooler stops making contact with the vrm/ram. I'd suggest you first try tightening the screws (take off the backplate and tighten the gpu core screws and others) and see if that alleviates the increased fan speed. If not, then it could have been a bad paste job and it wouldn't hurt to repaste it.

Asus QC with their coolers has gone down the tubes with their latest releases. I've got a strix 2080 ti and I put an ekwb water block on it the day I bought it.

Okay, in idle after I start the PC, its quiet.
GPU - 33-34 C
I started a game, 4K, almost all the settings to high
After 3-4 minutes the coolers start spinning. I closed the game and here are the results
But right now, when I'm typing, the coolers remained loud, they didn't turn off or less spinning
I opened already the GPU ( warranty is gone, now ) and I applied some pasta

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
Is there any chance at all that physical damage or corrosion have occurred to the back of the card? Does it have one of those metal back plates?

I have a GTX 690 that had had some corrosion occur to the back of it, such that a tiny 0402 size SMD resistor had a flaky connection. This resistor happened to be part of the enable line on one of the VRMs, and it would cause the card to intermittently just not turn on, because the solder joint at one end was flaky.

I mention this because the PWM control for the fans on most graphics cards works in such a way that, if the PWM signal goes away, the fans go full blast, and the way that the PWM signal works likely has a couple of tiny resistors pull up or pull down resistors. To rule this out, I'd inspect the back of the card, particularly in the area around the fan connector.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?
No, I didn't
I still have the card, and don't know what to do, how to fix it
I guess there is an issue with the sensor
Where exactly is the sensor located ? On the GPU, somewhere, or directly on the cooler ( s ) ?
Thank you

I noticed the same thing. Maybe a driver update. I have a gigabyte and it recently become much louder during computation. I Thought it was overheating because I have a custom cooler on it, but checked temps and it was at 55C°
I think they changed the fan ramps in the driver, but didn't bother to look for confirmation.

Okay, in idle after I start the PC, its quiet.
GPU - 33-34 C
I started a game, 4K, almost all the settings to high
After 3-4 minutes the coolers start spinning. I closed the game and here are the results
But right now, when I'm typing, the coolers remained loud, they didn't turn off or less spinning
I opened already the GPU ( warranty is gone, now ) and I applied some pasta
That doesn't say much, you have to verify temps during gaming, not after.

During gaming, 60-65 C
I switched to Quiet mode, on the GPU button, I tried different drivers, I even did a Windows 10 fresh install
No go.
I can't see the RPM Fans ( all show 0 RPM ) with different software, even with Asus GPU Tweak II
They are loud, spinning, but 0 RPM. The fan in the middle isn't moving. Only the right and left fans
What about flashing the vbios ?? Would that help ?
I'm not sure if I have the latest vbios version, I attached some printscreens
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/205107/asus-rtx2080ti-11264-180927

Attachments

• RPM fans.jpg
    RPM fans.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ASUS Strix RTX 2080 Ti.jpg
    ASUS Strix RTX 2080 Ti.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ASUS GPU TWEAK II.jpg
    ASUS GPU TWEAK II.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
Hmm the middle fan isnt spinning at all? Does it spin on boot up? I think your problem might be that fan that isnt spinning. I had a 1080Ti that exhibited similar behavior from the sounds of it. It ended up being a stuck/dead fan. I would poke the stopped fan in the center spindle and it would start spinning and the other fans would begin to slow down.

Last edited:
The middle fan is not spinning, on boot up or after, or when I play something
Not spinning at all
What would you suggest to do ?
Thank you

I dont think so. I think your one fan is showing zero rpm to the sensor which isn't a problem until you go over the zero rpm temperature threshold. That's when all the fans should kick on. With that one showing zero rpm it boosts your remaining fans into like an emergency mode where they ramp up like crazy.

I was gone an hour, right now i started my PC
It's very quiet the GPU. But when I open a game or some heavy load GPU software, they start again ( loud ) and they remain like this, until I turn off - ON the PC, later
So, the link I attached, with the coolers, would be okay for my GPU ??

just set the fans to fixed 40% fixed and be done with it. if your temps are fine...and they are... 60-65C is very good for an aircooler dont worry about it
if its something wrong with the sensor swapping the cooler wont fix it.

What do you mean with " just set the fans to fixed 40% fixed and be done with it " ??

just set the fans to fixed 40% fixed and be done with it. if your temps are fine...and they are... 60-65C is very good for an aircooler dont worry about it
if its something wrong with the sensor swapping the cooler wont fix it.
What do you mean with " just set the fans to fixed 40% fixed and be done with it " ??

I tried again with ASUS GPU TWEAK II
Manual settings
Here is a printscreen ( the middle fan is spinning too )
All the fans are spinning now but whatever I'm doing, they remain loud and fast spinning
Is there a setting ( trick ) for this, to reduce the speed when the temp is lower ( 30 - 35 idle ) ??
ThanksManual settings.jpg

Thats weird that they are all spinning if that one fan is truly dead, also when my one fan was dead I couldnt control them through software they would respond to software command due to showing a 0rpm signal, If I were you I would buy the set of 3 thats just me. The fans shouldnt spin at that low of a temperature, I dont think they kick on until 50C or so, if you have 0rpm idle mode enabled anyway, you can disable that somewhere in gputweak though.

As nealx01 said " if its something wrong with the sensor swapping the cooler wont fix it " doesen't sound ok to me.
Because, if the GPU sensor is " damaged " the fans wouldn't start spinning faster, under heavy loud
Right now, they are silent. Dead silent. I just turned on my PC
But if I'd start gaming right now, in 2-3 minutes, they are start spinning very fast ( loud )
That's what I mean : if it's something wrong with the sensor, that wouldn't happent, all the fans would remain silent
I'm not sure, I just guess

im not terribly familiar with asus gpu/fan software.. i use evga PX! and you can use a slider to set the fan speed to whatever you want. and control them individually. if your fans are running too loud, set the fan speed yourself. (it looks like you can with that asus software by clicking "user define")
i usually ran my founders card at 35%-40% fixed fan speed 24/7 and it was fine. no over heating, and no issues at all.

in that photo it looks like you already have them set manually to 45% fan speed. so does the 45% fan speed work of not?
to me it sounds like your saying the problem is the card wont work properly with its stock fan curve profile. if it will accept manual changes like you setting it to 45% like you did in the photo, set it to a fan speed were the noise doesnt bother you and be done with it. thats what i was suggesting earlier.
if you cant set manual fanspeed (or percentages) it has a problem that simply changing a fan or the entire cooler wont fix. its either firmware level or PCB level.

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
nealx01, whatever settings I have, after the fans start to spinning fast and they are loud, I can't make them lower ( idle )
They remain loud, doesen't matter if I set USER DEFINE / MANUAL , with different settings
I can't understand what's wrong with the GPU
If the GPU sensor would be damaged, the card would remain silent, even under heavy load.

edited my post while you replied.

i think you need to hound ASUS for a RMA and tell them exactly what the problem is.. i was having a hard time understanding myself until your last post. something is wrong on a more serious level than a typical end user should be expected to fix. call them, be as pleasant as possible, but dont take no for an answer on an RMA.

I will contact them, something is wrong with the card. Replacing the coolers wouldn't help, I guess

Back