RTX 2080 TI Black Edition worthwhile at $999 MSRP?

Just some pointers on what I've read for these 2080TI's and I apologize if you already know this info.

From what I've read the best approach seems to be a minimum 240mm radiator but a 560mm can really help in holding upwards of 2100mhz or higher. I haven't actually done it but I've been reading as many reviews or posts as I can regarding it. A 120mm or 240mm will work for stock or minimum OC but they work harder for it. I also read it's not necessarily a good idea to have it combined with a CPU AIO but it can be done if planned properly. Kyle made a really sweet rig with his.

From what I've gathered you can get some small gains from going larger on the rad, but I don't really care I just want relatively silent operation with high clocks (1900s). I'd need to spend 150-200 for an x62 kraken and G12. These cards we have are also non-a's so we can't even put the higher power bios on them. I'm only considering AIOs right now and from all the videos I've looked at/articles read it's absolutely fine. I'll probably put some copper heatsinks on the memory but that's it.

I have 2x1080GTX in SLI but hardly anything works in SLI anymore. I play mostly on my 4K television, and most games get 30ish FPS at 4K on one card.

You need all the power you can get, so the question is only 1) does the 2080ti do what you need it to so and 2) how long will it last?

I’d look at bechmarks for your games. Is the 2080ti hitting 60fps at 4K? Is there a little extra wiggle room.

I don’t like buying in at 60fps. Card ends up obsolete too soon. But at 4K your need is urgent.

If you sit at TV distance, maybe drop your resolution and ride it out until 2080ti is replaced/refreshed?

Do I think these cards are worth it, even at that price? Nope. However, if you are set on getting a 2080Ti no matter what, this would be the way to go because, on the green side, EVGA is probably the best out there, overall.

Tried some OC'ing and playing, temps do get higher and fans get much louder now than the strix card, 76 degrees and it's audible through my headset ,

112% +150 +500 , still boosting to about 1890 and hovering around there. Ambient temps are also higher, it's cooler outside so the AC is off.

upload_2019-6-9_10-59-33.png

Last edited:
I picked up the same card to replace my 1080, mainly due to VR, and have to say its a beast. I am boosting the same as Digital Viper and hovering at 75º with auto fan. I cannot hear the fans with or without headphones. I did have a few odd artifacts and crashes but those seemed to be fixed with the latest driver.

A more aggressive fan profile dropped temps to 65-70º underload when combined with an aggressive profile on my H100 but it was super loud even with headphones.

Overall this card is awesome and worth the $200+ savings over other TI's, IMO. Going to custom loop it in the future and see how much more I can get out of it.

Has anyone tried the unofficial BIOS that increases voltage?

I picked up the same card to replace my 1080, mainly due to VR, and have to say its a beast. I am boosting the same as Digital Viper and hovering at 75º with auto fan. I cannot hear the fans with or without headphones. I did have a few odd artifacts and crashes but those seemed to be fixed with the latest driver.

A more aggressive fan profile dropped temps to 65-70º underload when combined with an aggressive profile on my H100 but it was super loud even with headphones.

Overall this card is awesome and worth the $200+ savings over other TI's, IMO. Going to custom loop it in the future and see how much more I can get out of it.

Has anyone tried the unofficial BIOS that increases voltage?
Which Bios? The Palit one? Being that I’m using the stock fan is it even worth flashing?

Right now I’m running +200 core/ +1000 memory in afterburner.

So.... picked up an XC Ultra tonight (used also)

Micron ram, only seems to be able to hit 900 vs the 1400 on the Black, Doing the core test now.

But wow, the difference in temps and fan noise is noticeable, the card runs considerably cooler and quieter, even though the fan size is the same, and the fans are probably the same as well.

and I just figured out why :) nearly half the core has no thermal paste at all, cleaned it up and re-applied.(FYI that's the black, not ultra)

20190618_224127.jpg

Last edited:
Exclusive: NVIDIA RTX Super Graphics Cards Pricing, RTX 2080 SUPER $799 MSRP, RTX 2070 SUPER $599 MSRP and RTX 2060 SUPER for $429 MSRP
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-super-graphics-cards-msrp-leaked/

NVIDIA’s RTX 2080 SUPER will launch for $799, based on the unlocked, non-OC 2080 Ti chip

The first of the super cards that are going to be announced is the GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER which houses a TU104-450 die. Don’t let the TU104 nomenclature fool you though, because this is actually a TU102 die repurposed for lower vRAM and sold without the standard KIT that AIBs have to buy (which includes NVIDIA packaged vRAM and power phases).

Exclusive: NVIDIA RTX Super Graphics Cards Pricing, RTX 2080 SUPER $799 MSRP, RTX 2070 SUPER $599 MSRP and RTX 2060 SUPER for $429 MSRP
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-super-graphics-cards-msrp-leaked/

NVIDIA’s RTX 2080 SUPER will launch for $799, based on the unlocked, non-OC 2080 Ti chip

The first of the super cards that are going to be announced is the GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER which houses a TU104-450 die. Don’t let the TU104 nomenclature fool you though, because this is actually a TU102 die repurposed for lower vRAM and sold without the standard KIT that AIBs have to buy (which includes NVIDIA packaged vRAM and power phases).

How close will the 2080 Super get to the 2080 ti? What the heck would a 2080 ti super be?

Funny as it is, the Ultra
How close will the 2080 Super get to the 2080 ti? What the heck would a 2080 ti super be?

Did anyone mention a 2080ti super? I thought it was just the 2070 and 2080 getting updates .

I assume the 2080 super will still be considerably slower, lower power targets and low bandwidth on memory.

Being that I only purchased the Black a few months ago I really hope evga gives us some sort of upgrade path.

Thoses prices are not blowing up my skirt. The industry is making it clear to all that one should never buy early into a generation of video cards.

A person should spend their money where they spend their time and where it makes them happy, if they want to pay $999 for a graphics card that is their business. I got one so i could run crap at 4k on my tv that doesn't do adaptive sync pretty well and it works, it holds 1.950 ghz without modification, somtimes 1.89ghz-1.95 ghz if I slow the fans down below half speed and the ambient temperature is creeping past 75f.

Been meaning to post back here sooner but been real busy at work.

Was in my local Fry's a couple weeks ago and got a great deal on a EVGA 2080TI FTW3 that was opened and returned because it didn't fit in their case. This card is massive but luckily it fits in my full tower easily. I have been putting it through the paces running demanding games, with and without RTX enabled. I am now able to run the games I played before at 1440p, but at 4K now and about 10% faster when SLI wasn't working.

Games on a single card also feel a lot smoother than on SLI and this card allows me to avoid a complete new PC rebuild at this point, so that is nice.

Doubtful a Super 2080ti version will be launched any time soon. Especially since all the latest refresh leaks seem to not have the Super 2080ti listed at all.

just a quick update for those who care.

I bought an XC Ultra as well, and did a quick comparison before I had to sell one, then grabbed an Asus STRIX

XC Ultra: Average OC +101mhz, Memory +750mhz (Micron) +130% - Quiet and cool best performance
Black: Average OC +208mhz, memory 1400mhz (Samsung) +112% - loudest and hottest (not by much after I re-applied the TIM)
Asus Strix: Average OC: +100mhz, memory +1000(samsung) +125% - Quietest and coolest

Out of the 3, the XC Ultra provided the best performance, even at stock, it outdid the Black, at max oc, the black was still power limited and would not hold the same clocks, both the Strix and the XC Ultra maintain about 2000mhz on the core, max OC the strix loses out (125% vs 130% for power limit)

I did a quick test using superposition, the Ultra managed to score 9900, the strix about 9800 and the Black about 9600 all at max OC :) (1080p extreme, not fullscreen, no motion blur)

I've kept the Ultra and Strix for now, will sell one eventually :)

I also tried the plait Bios on the black, it caused some weird issues, like reporting crazy high FPS in superposition, considering it's not a binned chip, it provided better OC headroom if it wasn't power limited.

I guess the bottom line here, is that the power limiter is the largest factor in performance for the 2080ti, even the blacks smaller cooling solution didn't bottleneck it as much as the 112% power limit did.

Last edited:
I will say I am super happy with the black so far. I am able to keep most games at 75-100 FPS with max detail at 3440/1440. Division 2 runs amazing on it. DCS, which was a lumbering pig on my 1080, now sits at 60-100 FPS depending on the map. I am excited to try VR next.

Core stays at 1950 consistently with the stock cooler at 75 degrees max. I am going to hybrid or water block it in the next few weeks just to drop temps a little more and see if I can't get it to sit at 2000 on the core.

For $999 it was worth it IMO.

Last edited:
Funny how AC: Odyssey is struggling to hit 60fps on my setup with the card at max settings/4k and Origins could do it. I have to reduce some of the settings. Clearly the game is much more demanding, same engine too.

I'm going to upgrade my 5820k next Intel gen I think, either that or whatever the next AMD is the best bargain/performer for gaming.

A single RTX 2080 Ti is a substantial upgrade from a single 1080 Ti. Often times, even though the frame rates are lower the experience is smoother and more consistent.
If you take that attitude, you will never upgrade as you'll always be waiting. I would buy the card now and sell it closer to the release of the newer cards and offset the cost of the upgrade.

Anyone thinking about moving on from a 1080ti to a 2080ti should try to get rid of their 1080ti asap. The market for them is about to start dropping with the release of a 2070 super for ~499. When Nvidia drops their next refresh, the card will probably lose another 200 on the resale market overnight. Cheers

Anyone thinking about moving on from a 1080ti to a 2080ti should try to get rid of their 1080ti asap. The market for them is about to start dropping with the release of a 2070 super for ~499. When Nvidia drops their next refresh, the card will probably lose another 200 on the resale market overnight. Cheers
LOL. No.

Are the EVGA RTX 2080 TI black editions worthwhile if they can be had at $999? It seems they come at standard spec speeds - just don't want to get a neutered card. I have no real plans to do any overclocking or anything.

Black Edition?
So it's faster vid card?

That's kinda racist... :cautious:

Back