RTX 2080 enough for 3440 x 1440?

Ericone

n00b
Hey guys. I'm considering bying an ultrawide monitor for my setup. The one I've set my sights on has a resolution of 3440 x 1440. I'm a bit worried if the card will be enough for that resolution. I currently play on a 2560 x 1440 display and it works well for me so far as I have a long backlog of older games and indie games I play (several boomer shooters).

Also: would it be suboptimal to play on 2560 x 1440 on the ultrawide? Would scaling/input lag and the likes be a problem? I'm thinking since it's an OLED, the edges will be turned off anyway if I switch to 16:9, so I'm thinking that will always be an option on the ultrawide.

I had a 2070 super for a while with my UWS(3440x1440) setup and it worked fine.
Now with my 3080 it's even better. I think you'll be just fine with the games that are out on release right now. Once UE5 engine based games come out, that'll be a different story for the both of us.
I'd say go for it and see for yourself. UWS is awesome and I don't think I'll ever go back to 16:9.

If your RTX 2080 supports Re Bar, maybe something to think about getting turned on, I still have to get RTX 3070 turned on myself.

It will be fine on older games. It's a bit slow for newer titles at that resolution but it still should be usable in most games. You might have to turn down a few settings in more demanding titles.

widescreen is 35% more pixel, wouldn't using a resolution scaling around that number in game that allow it or the closest DSR setting for those who does not give a good enough idea what to expect ?

widescreen is 35% more pixel, wouldn't using a resolution scaling around that number in game that allow it or the closest DSR setting for those who does not give a good enough idea what to expect ?
Yep, it would, and it's very easy to test out as you said.

Back