RTX 2080 - 2080 Ti - 2070 Pricing Revealed

They still have too much Pascal inventory. Watch the prices drop on these things Q1 2019.

Not defending Nvidia, but it is a business. They're not conflicting with their current lineup this way, milking the early adopters.

Nope! Nvidia just priced themselves out of the average gamers market & handed it to AMD. AMD works for me.

No. NV will service the mid to low tier markets just like they always have. The latest cards are for the high-end gaming enthusiast. Those folks aren't the average gamer.

The fact they released no performance numbers sans ray tracing is a huge indicator the performance jump from Pascal is very minimal and not worth the price increase.
They never release self generated benchmarks on day they announce cards. They've always left that to review sites.

Pretty sure the pricing is indicative of the performance to expect and where NV knows the benches will fall.

Last edited:
AFAIK nVidia’s profit margin has been flat since 2012. It’s not like they’ve gotten greedier. Break even is what? $800?

I honestly have no reason to upgrade. I am more or less unbiased. Devil’s advocate a little.

This chip is massive though. Makes the Titan X chips look like child’s play. I’ve seen comments that it’s “cut down” but it’s a god damn beast.

They should have just called it a Titan.... the only reason they may have went this route is the current 2080 (bumped to a 2080ti if the 2080ti is a Titan) would have been as fast as a 1080ti in old games lol.

But honestly the compute power puts the old Titan Xs to absolute shame.

Don't they sell every Titan directly? And do they even bother with sales? I can't remember them. Unless they broke that trend they can call it a 2080 Ti and we get MSI, ASUS, etc. Price will probably fall.

The 1080 isn't the "average gamer"

From Steam's Hardware Survey.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
12.50%

+0.17%

trans.gif

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
9.59%
+1.36%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
6.17%
+1.51%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
5.63%
+1.30%

If Nvidia doesn't release a mid range card at a good price point they will, in fact, be handing this market share over to AMD.

You already answered the question. NVIDIA already has competitive "average gamer" cards on the market. Plus, the lesser models always follow the more serious gamer cards with a new architecture. AMD isn't pushing NVIDIA at all. There's 0 reason for them to rush a new "average gamer" card to market right now, especially when they've got 10XX inventory to clear out.

You already answered the question. NVIDIA already has competitive "average gamer" cards on the market. Plus, the lesser models always follow the more serious gamer cards with a new architecture. AMD isn't pushing NVIDIA at all. There's 0 reason for them to rush a new "average gamer" card to market right now, especially when they've got 10XX inventory to clear out.

Oh don't get me wrong. AMD is in a terrible position. However, the optics of this launch might ruffle some feathers in the more budget conscious gamer circles. Realistically it only takes one thing to change mind share :)

AMD could be cleaning up in both CPUs and GPU's if they had a decent offering to challenge Nvidia. They did it to intel by surprising them with Ryzen and Threadripper.

Come on AMD please give us a nice performing video cards for cheap!

AGAIN look at the context here which no one ever seems to do before replying. He is saying he is glad he is an AMD guy based on the pricing of these new Turing cards. The pricing of cards like this HAVE NO BEARING on people that are mainstream users as Nvidia competes on price just fine there. It is like bitching about the cost of the Honda NSX and saying you are glad you are Hyundai guy that drives an Elantra.

Would pricing the 2070 at the same price as the 1070 at launch and the 2080 and 2080Ti same as the previous gen have NO EFFECT AT ALL on the pricing of mainstream cards????

I think I am pretty sure that if that were the case, 1070, 1080, and the 1080Ti prices would drop even more......including AMDs cards as well.

Things I don't have a full understanding of yet, and I am waiting to understand before I even think of buying this latest gen:

1.) Ray Tracing aside, what are the performance improvements in traditional raster rendering?

2.) Can ray tracing rendering techniques be applied in existing titles, or do they need to be rewritten for it to work?

3.) Are there even any titles that can take advantage of this today, or is it all tech demo?

4.) Ray tracing is obviously more intensive, so we expect to have a performance impact in exchange for higher fidelity graphics, but are there any other advantages in there that can work in our favor? Free antialiasing, or something like that?

Honestly, what I was looking for from this next generation was not some sort of rendering techniques revolution. I just want to be able to run existing titles at 4k60hz max settings without ever having minimum framerates drop below 60fps. My overclocked Pascal Titan X on water is about 75% of the way there, so a 50% performance boost ought to do it and have some buffer to spare.

I just realized this makes sense from a long term perspective. If they released the 2000 series at traditional price ranges, they might end up pricing AMD out of the market. If AMD graphics folded, Nvidia could incur anti-trust regulation. Whereas if they're still competing on the low to mid-range and only have no competition at the high end, it's not enough to have any sort of monopoly risk in the long term.

This somewhat makes sense. I guess.......

I was about to say...... lol

but then, you could oc a 1080 pretty good.
I wonder how a oc'ed uv'ed Vega would fare....

Yeah, IMHO, anything other than Max OC to Max OC comparisons are completely irrelevant.

I don't think any of us in here aren't going to eke out as much performance as we can get out of our GPU's by overclocking them.

I think now that GPU mining has totally crashed, they are trying to normalize the prices that we were seeing during the 2017-2018 mining craze. People need to vote with their wallets and not buy at these prices. Also hopefully AMD comes out with some powerful midrange stuff to push prices down. Midrange cards should cost $200-400, not $500-600.

If these provide more than 10%-20% improvement (FPS) over Pascal I'll be amazed. It's painfully obvious this is all about getting RT going and we still don't know what performance hit you will get when you flip on RT in a title. I'll keep my 1070 for a couple more years, I'll put that money into a 2019 Zen or Threadripper "2".

I think I may cancel my dual 2080Ti order and use my faster Titan V until December and then buy the $5000 RTX Titan. ;)

Why would you order two 2080ti cards over a Titan V, when we dont even know if SLI will function on the 2080 series? In fact I dont think they have even mentioned SLI with these cards unless I missed it.

Why would you order two 2080ti cards over a Titan V, when we dont even know if SLI will function on the 2080 series? In fact I dont think they have even mentioned SLI with these cards unless I missed it.

Just to get into the order queue if they surprise us in performance. If the reviews come out beforehand and the speed and SLI are crap I can just cancel the order.

I wonder if you can now SLI Titan V's since NVLink is the new SLI connector. Unless they are wired differently on Volta...

I wonder if you can now SLI Titan V's since NVLink is the new SLI connector. Unless they are wired differently on Volta...

NVLink is disabled on TITAN V. The TITAN V performance is a very good indicator of what to expect performance wise from the 2080 Ti for current gen games. Actually given the higher CUDA core count and HBM, I'm sure that the TITAN V slightly outperforms the 2080 Ti in current games. Bu that's why you paid so much for it, to have something that will be awesome for years to come ;)

If these provide more than 10%-20% improvement (FPS) over Pascal I'll be amazed. It's painfully obvious this is all about getting RT going and we still don't know what performance hit you will get when you flip on RT in a title. I'll keep my 1070 for a couple more years, I'll put that money into a 2019 Zen or Threadripper "2".

From Youtube reports by people on site at Gamescom, they've said the demos were 1080p at lowish (but steady) 20-30 something frame rates once ray tracing was turned on. Now it may be crazy fast at 4K with ray tracing turned off but no one really knows yet, since Nvidia was purposely demo'ing raytracing.

Good thing I sold my 1070 at a huge loss in anticipation, was actually worried it would drop further in value.

They never release self generated benchmarks on day they announce cards. They've always left that to review sites.

Pretty sure the pricing is indicative of the performance to expect and where NV knows the benches will fall.

I'm not looking for benchmarks, I don't think most people expect that. However I feel like(I could be completely wrong here) with most launches there's ALOT more "this new card is X% faster than this old card". Is this not true? We heard these comparisons on launch but only in regards to RayTracing... I don't think you're looking at much of a performance jump sans ray tracing. They would have been talking about it otherwise.

Last edited:
They still have too much Pascal inventory. Watch the prices drop on these things Q1 2019.

Not defending Nvidia, but it is a business. They're not conflicting with their current lineup this way, milking the early adopters.

Think of it this way:
The early adopters are the beta testers we need them to fix the bugs for those of us willing to wait.

I won't be buy these RTX cards nothing about them impresses me. I have high standards I won't be leaving 2560x1600 till graphics cards can do at 120 fps at 4K. If you look at the titan v reviews you can't impressed vs a 1080 ti, so I didn't expect the "next gen" careds to be much better. Miners at least increased profits, competition from AMD was lackluster.... I purchased my 1080 ti before Vega came out and I expect 2x 1080 ti before I upgrade again. I've learned my lesson over the years and I only do single GPU. SLI and crossfire are technically dead because they should be offering 100% boosts but even with direct connections they can't seem to split the load evenly. They can do multi core GPus, but can't get two GPUs to play nice... It's really sad when you stop and think about

Feel like you are giving buyers of high end videos are smart too much credit, your average high end video cards are not really concern price/performance metrics but getting the highest visual fidelity at an acceptable frame rate or the highest high frame rate. By no means I am saying they are dumb, just people buying high end cards have different needs and most of the time will
Voodoo 2 12mb was only $300

OMG and SLI actually worked back then too! RIP in peace my BFG and Canopus 3D cards. XD

Just don't buy founders editions and the other manufacturers cards will look like a steal of a deal. ;)

Newegg is charging founders edition prices for the regular cards and for those that aren't sold out... requiring the purchase of cpus or other items like SSD drives in bundles just to pre-order. XD

Wonder if Jensen bribed them to do it in order to make the FE card pricing look better. Wtf is going on with this release?

Think of it this way:
The early adopters are the beta testers we need them to fix the bugs for those of us willing to wait.

I won't be buy these RTX cards nothing about them impresses me. I have high standards I won't be leaving 2560x1600 till graphics cards can do at 120 fps at 4K. If you look at the titan v reviews you can't impressed vs a 1080 ti, so I didn't expect the "next gen" careds to be much better. Miners at least increased profits, competition from AMD was lackluster.... I purchased my 1080 ti before Vega came out and I expect 2x 1080 ti before I upgrade again. I've learned my lesson over the years and I only do single GPU. SLI and crossfire are technically dead because they should be offering 100% boosts but even with direct connections they can't seem to split the load evenly. They can do multi core GPus, but can't get two GPUs to play nice... It's really sad when you stop and think about

Well there's a wildcard here.... nvlink. We don't know if it'll actually do everything that SLI was originally supposed to do. Apparently it does work really well for Quadro cards, but that's a whole different thing from gaming of course.

Newegg is charging founders edition prices for the regular cards and for those that aren't sold out... requiring the purchase of cpus or other items like SSD drives in bundles just to pre-order. XD

Wonder if Jensen bribed them to do it in order to make the FE card pricing look better. Wtf is going on with this release?
Tinfoil, because Nvidia doesn't make anything additional beyond what their AIBs pay for the chips. If a card sells for over MSRP, Nvidia doesnt see an extra dime - it's the AIB partner and/or retailer benefitting.

What's happening is a highly anticipated new Nvidia launch + not enough stock for demand + flippers have their buy scripts out in full force.

Last edited:
NVLink is disabled on TITAN V. The TITAN V performance is a very good indicator of what to expect performance wise from the 2080 Ti for current gen games. Actually given the higher CUDA core count and HBM, I'm sure that the TITAN V slightly outperforms the 2080 Ti in current games. Bu that's why you paid so much for it, to have something that will be awesome for years to come ;)

Ya I know NVIDIA said it was disabled, but is it disabled physically or in the drivers? From the PCB pics, it looks like it could physically work. So if it is drivers, that could be an easy fix.

Not that I'd buy a second V though. If you want SLI via NVLink, getting two 2080Ti's makes more sense.

So lets speculate; If NVlink actually does let two cards work well together I'm thinking this is Nvidia's way of getting above 60fps with RT on. I have a feeling a 2080Ti is going to be below 60fps in most RT titles but then you do two bridged 2080Ti's and perhaps it will be enough brute force power to do it.

It's in Nvidia's best interest to push multi-GPU sales. This is very likely a short-term stop gap before 7nm.

The shape of these bridges also seems to indicate that tri-SLI and quad-SLI really is dead.
Pretty sure that Tri and Quad have not been officially supported desktop configs for a long time now.

Prices on Ebay for the 2080ti are mostly in the $1500-$2500+ range for the pre-order. I mean, it may be a very nice card but not at THOSE prices...lol
Almost everything non-bay is sold out or on backorder it seems and the dealer price gouging is alive and well. :inpain:
Going to wait a few months to see if a Titan version will be coming out then pull the trigger on that or the Ti.

Back