RTX 2080 - 2080 Ti - 2070 Pricing Revealed

Please read the rest of what I said as I already answered you. What they choose to call the cards is irrelevant as again it's the performance increase at the usual price points that people look at. Someone that bought a 980ti or 1080 TI is looking at the 2080 TI as being a huge increase for around the same price hopefully. They are not looking for a miniscule upgrade for 40% increase in cost.

We don’t know that so why is that relevant? We literally know a name and a price and everyone is losing their shit.

Well we do know it has incredibly more processing power than anything we’ve ever had that requires proprietary drivers / implementation that one could imagine being anticompetitive.... but people seem to focus on the name and cost.

It’s like a Mustang with 475HP comes out. Two years later a Mustang with 750HP is released. People lose their shit because they the 750HP is priced 50% higher because they are both Mustangs so they should be priced the same. They ignore Mustang is made from improved alloys, high HP, turns better, and oh also has a quatum drive that may or may not work. Does this make sense? Maybe wait to see if the quantum drive (RT and tensor cores) work before you scream at the sky?

Last edited:
We don’t know that so why is that relevant? We literally know a name and a price and everyone is losing their shit.

Well we do know it has incredibly more processing power than anything we’ve ever had that requires proprietary drivers / implementation that one could imagine being anticompetitive.... but people seem to focus on the name and cost.

It’s like a Mustang with 475HP comes out. Two years later a Mustang with 750HP is released. People lose their shit because they the 750HP is priced 50% higher because they are both Mustangs so they should be priced the same. They ignore Mustang is made from improved alloys, high HP, turns better, and oh also has a quatum drive that may or may not work. Does this make sense?
Of course everyone is losing their shit right now because the price points just went up dramatically and we don't know how regular game performance will be because Nvidia is hush-hush right now. Looking at the specs it'll have to be some magical fucking IPC increase for regular games to get much faster as core counts hardly went up at all. And even if we got a decent increase again the price points have been raised quite a bit that most people that would have pulled the trigger instantly are now going to be more reserved.

Of course everyone is losing their shit right now because the price points just went up dramatically and we don't know how regular game performance will be because Nvidia is hush-hush right now. Looking at the specs it'll have to be some magical fucking IPC increase for regular games to get much faster as core counts hardly went up at all. And even if we got a decent increase again the price points have been raised quite a bit that most people that would have pulled the trigger instantly are now going to be more reserved.

I’ll stop playing devil’s advocate for a second. This is what I gathered.

Raw performance of 2080ti vs 1080ti is about 20% based on Cuda Cores and generally the same clock speed. This would be for current and older games and probably why there were no benches.

Ray Tracing - this replaces other types of lighting with it’s own processor could be an additional boost? (TBD)

Tensor Cores - nVidia is going to use it’s super computers to implement into their drivers AI algorithms on a per game basis. He used 1440p to 4k picture quality as an example. If he is not bullshitting us you get to render 4k at 1440p speeds. That’s around a 100% boost.

So what people should be the most interested in is if nVidia delivers on the AI portion. Given they implemented it into a big chunk of the die on their by far most important product line they are heavily invested into it and I expect them to execute. Honestly - it’s absolutely genius and I have no idea how AMD or Intel would combat that.

But no benches! Soooo... do you trust leather jacket man? I fall back on they could have just done CUDA and been 40-50% faster so I think there might be surprising results later on...

I've been a PC gamer since the 80's and I'm pretty happy with the current performance of my games. I kind of wanted to upgrade but I'm thinking maybe it's time to check out a console instead... Or spend some money on my other hobbies cause fuck this pricing.
If I do upgrade its going to be grabbing a used 1080ti.

I'm probably opting out at these prices.

I'm going to wait and see though. I never make final decisions before there are trusted 3rd party reviews.

Heck, if that 2080ti gives me 50-100% greater performance than my Pascal Titan X, I might consider it. If it's a marginal increase like recent generations have been - however - there isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'm spending that kind of money.

March 10th 2017 GTX 1080Ti launch, MSRP $699.

September 20th 2018 RTX 2080Ti launch, MSRP $1,199.

Fuck. That.

No benches, no reviews and you are a fool if you buy it early.
I happen to recall a missing, half gig of DDR5 nobody got with a pre-order.

Ray tracing is in it's infancy and not one game currently supports it, so that shit is a wash.
I'll play with my 1070 till the 3080 or Vega 7nm or Navi.
Vote with your wallet.

they've got too many 10 series cards left to sell, so they overpriced these 20 series by a lot.

gtx1070 msrp was just $379.

fuck this shit.

To make it [H] requires it to be for 24hrs. Kind of like hardware stress test. It has to be performed by your wife (paperwork required) while you watch.
Why this place is called the [H]ard O-ccasional C-uckold P-erformance, if you ever wondered what the true origins of the name was.
Hope this one gets a live stream.
Jeezus.

2080Ti FE $1199, 4352 cuda cores, 1350 base - 1635 MHz boost, 11GB GDDR6 14 Gbps (616 GB/s bandwidth) 260W
2080Ti $999, 4352 cuda cores, 1350 base - 1545 MHz boost, 11GB GDDR6 14 Gbps (616 GB/s bandwidth) 250W
2080 FE $799, 2944 cuda cores, 1515 base - 1800 MHz boost, 8GB GDDR6 14 Gbps (448 GB/s bandwidth) 225W
2080 $699, 2944 cuda cores, 1515 base - 1710 MHz boost, 8GB GDDR6 14 Gbps (448 GB/s bandwidth) 215W
2070 FE $599, 2304 cuda cores, 1410 base - 1710 MHz boost, 8GB GDDR6 14 Gbps (448 GB/s bandwidth) 185W
2070 $499, 2304 cuda cores, 1410 base - 1620 MHz boost, 8GB GDDR6 14 Gbps (448 GB/s bandwidth) 175W

1080Ti FE $699, 3584 cuda cores, 1480 base - 1582 MHz boost, 8GB GDDR5X 11 Gbps (484 GB/s bandwidth) 250W
1080 FE $549, 2560 cuda cores, 1607 base - 1733 MHz boost, 8GB GDDR5X 10 Gbps (320 GB/s bandwidth) 180W
1070Ti FE $449, 2432 cuda cores, 1607 base - 1683 MHz boost, 8GB GDDR5 8 Gbps (256 GB/s bandwidth) 180W
1070 FE $399, 1920 cuda cores, 1506 base - 1683 MHz boost, 8GB GDDR5 8 Gbps (256 GB/s bandwidth) 150W

Those Turing Cuda cores had better have a MUCH Higher IPC than Pascal, otherwise this new lineup is marginally faster if at all compared to their Pascal equivalents, at a MUCH higher price.

Unless Nvidia thinks gamers are going to all cream their pants over real time raytracing, which seems unlikely.

At these prices we had better see 50%-100% higher performance than the parts they are replacing in current raster graphics titles. Otherwise only a fool would buy one.

Last edited:
Didn't watch the stream. Did they announce the pricing at the event? Someone should have "boood" him off the damn stage
Yes they did. 499 for RTX 2070, 699 for RTX 2080, and 999 for 2080Ti. Nvidia has their founder Editions priced at a premium .

Reactions: _l_
like this
Just curious, if they relabeled the cards Titan D, 2080ti and 2080 would you guys complain about the pricing? The pricing and die size would be inline with last gen. Actually way bigger dies.

using your reasoning, Nvidia should have charged $800 for the GTX 970

Yes they did. 499 for RTX 2070, 699 for RTX 2080, and 999 for 2080Ti. Nvidia has their founder Editions priced at a premium .

At first, the 2070, at the $499.99 mentioned in the event (presumably for reference clock SKUs), sounded like an interesting deal to me. Even from my 1070, I get new technology, a 40% gain over 1070, and 8% (iirc) over the 1080, and $200 to $250 for selling my 1070.

But, then I just go from 60 FPS with the 1070. to 84 FPS with a 2070. That really doesn't justify the purchase of a next level of monitor (120 or 144 @ 1440, or 60 FPS @ 4K). Maybe it helps me stay above 60 FPS more consistently at ultra 1440p.

And ray tracing feels TBD for the next couple of years, for all reasons already stated.

From that perspective. $500 feels pricey.

. I'm happy with mainstream. I don't have to have the best of the best. 1080p ultra settings are what I game on.
well maybe look at the context of the very thread that you're replying in. You're complaining about the pricing on high-end cards from Nvidia that AMD can't even remotely compete with in the first place. If you're a mainstream person then Nvidia has products that are not overpriced so really your whole comment made zero sense.

You're complaining about the pricing on high-end cards from Nvidia that AMD can't even remotely compete with in the first place

and therein lies a major problem ... no competition but maybe one of these days all the foolish buyers will wake up and stop buying. Then there will be plenty of cards available for miners, oh wait, will they still need GPU's a year from now?

Personally speaking, IMO the pricing is perfectly adjusted to match DDR4 RipJaws 3400 16GB @ $230 :ROFLMAO:

I watched the stream from work but had the volume on low to keep from being distracted. I was wondering when Jensen introduced the pricing, did they have the "I can afford that!" girl present?

I watched the stream from work but had the volume on low to keep from being distracted.

ok, I'm stumped. How can you not be distracted when the video is still running and you're supposed to be working?

I don't know how anyone could say they're glad to be an AMD guy. Have fun waiting another year to year-and-a-half for something just to match Nvidia's now last-gen 1080 TI.

Nvidia could come out with a Titan T thats twice as fast as a 2080 Ti for $3000 and I wouldn't care. Why you ask? because its out of mine and most peoples price range.

I would be A-OK waiting a year or 2 for a card as fast as a 1080Ti for a good price.........Pricing is key.

I was hoping that the 2070 would launch at the same price as the 1070 at least. But NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!
You can sure count on Nvidia raising the pri..... I mean bar!

I'll be looking at buying cards again when I can get 1080Ti performance for $200-250...
Come on AMD!!!! 7nm Vega for $250!!!!!! lol

It’s like a Mustang with 475HP comes out. Two years later a Mustang with 750HP is released. People lose their shit because they the 750HP is priced 50% higher because they are both Mustangs so they should be priced the same. They ignore Mustang is made from improved alloys, high HP, turns better, and oh also has a quatum drive that may or may not work. Does this make sense? Maybe wait to see if the quantum drive (RT and tensor cores) work before you scream at the sky?
Car analogy? Has never worked before, but if that is what you need this is like saying the new 750hp Mustang is now selling for $100000.00. But the entry level shitbox 6 cylinder auto transmission with am/FM radio and hubcaps is going to start at $65000.00.
The outrage is that the price is a huge increase

these prices are what happens when two years of stupid high prices (due to mining) occurs and the Enthusiast crowd gets severely thinned out

Limited allocations. I doubt anyone has stock yet.

as I said, marketing BS. You know, get them salivating for a GPU that costs the price of a still running ok used car

ok, I'm stumped. How can you not be distracted when the video is still running and you're supposed to be working?

I can watch videos while I refurbish laptops, but I always have someone coming in and asking me questions or the phone rings. Don't need the drone of Jensen telling everyone what they need while someone talks to me.

like this
Nvidia could come out with a Titan T thats twice as fast as a 2080 Ti for $3000 and I wouldn't care. Why you ask? because its out of mine and most peoples price range.

I would be A-OK waiting a year or 2 for a card as fast as a 1080Ti for a good price.........Pricing is key.

I was hoping that the 2070 would launch at the same price as the 1070 at least. But NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be looking at buying cards again when I can get 1080Ti performance for $200-250...

You probably can get a 980ti performance for $200-250 soon. Performance changes with time. In 2 years time, you will still be saying "I will only spent $200-250 for a 2080ti performance." Just buy what you can afford, and stop looking at the new stuff if that bothers you.

You probably can get a 980ti performance for $200-250 soon. Performance changes with time. In 2 years time, you will still be saying "I will only spent $200-250 for a 2080ti performance." Just buy what you can afford, and stop looking at the new stuff if that bothers you.

Yes, but I look at new stuff when it comes out in the hopes that the "older" stuff goes down in price.
Judging by the prices we've seen today, it looks the 1080 and 1080Ti will be holding their prices instead of coming down substantially.
I'll never stop looking at new stuff, that's just the tech nerd in me!

what's negative is that it has become a rich person's "luxury" sport. Price fixing on the DDR4 ... when does it end? It's all about maximum profit screw the people they are idiots and will buy at ridiculous prices anyways and what is sad is ... far too many will do just that (myself included occasionally after I've had too many beers or the bipolarr manic phase kicks in) even though game released for the past 2 years have sucked big time (gameplay I mean) so whatcha gonna do with that new GTX 2080 Ti, play Andromeda?

I'm actually going to play The Division in glorious 4K above 60fps now, probably The Division 2. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. Star Citizen should run beautifully too. If performance is not so great I'll sell the card when nvidia has the artificial drought it usually does. XD

May actually unpack my 240hz monitor to see how close to max I can get with some demanding games.

But yeah.. pricing is a travesty. What do you expect when AMD ain't got shit to even touch the previous gen?

like this

Yeah, same. ~$600-650 is just a bit much. Even $500 is too much for me. I paid $390 for my GTX 1070 EVGA. They were finally coming in stock about 6-8 weeks after the FE versions came out, so I didn't wait very long. Shows it arrived on September 30th 2016.

AGAIN look at the context here which no one ever seems to do before replying. He is saying he is glad he is an AMD guy based on the pricing of these new Turing cards. The pricing of cards like this HAVE NO BEARING on people that are mainstream users as Nvidia competes on price just fine there. It is like bitching about the cost of the Honda NSX and saying you are glad you are Hyundai guy that drives an Elantra.

Last edited:
are you saying there is something papery about this launch?

The part I don't get is that if this is a paper launch, why are they even bothering?

The only reason companies usually do a paper launch is if their competitor beat them to the next cycle, and they need to do something to take part of the wind out of their sales, so they paper launch so people remember them, and some wait for them and don't buy the competition.

In the situation Nvidia is in, with AMD having nothing that touches their 1080ti, why even bother with a paper launch? Just sit tight and launch when you are ready. No rush.

I'm either going to have to get a second job or sell some body parts. I'm old now and all of the body parts are worn out.

143699_FFFFFFF_LOL.gif THOSE PRICES!

The part I don't get is that if this is a paper launch, why are they even bothering?

The only reason companies usually do a paper launch is if their competitor beat them to the next cycle, and they need to do something to take part of the wind out of their sales, so they paper launch so people remember them, and some wait for them and don't buy the competition.

In the situation Nvidia is in, with AMD having nothing that touches their 1080ti, why even bother with a paper launch? Just sit tight and launch when you are ready. No rush.

they get the cards out people see reviews other people get them everyone gets excited suddenly demand is at a fever pitch and they sell sell sell like hot cakes when there is sufficient supply?

Reactions: DPI
like this
Back