RTX 2080 - 2080 Ti - 2070 Pricing Revealed

Still pretty high. We're now at $500-600 for a upper mid range GPU. The GTX 970 was a good buy at $330, with higher end models being around $350-360 which is what people actually buy. The 1070's actual price was $400-450 for along time. It only dropped after many months (almost a year) on the market. Even then those were the models that weren't worth getting from a noise/cooling perspective. If it "starts at" $500, the actual price will be around $600. That is a pretty big jump. Don't think we've had ~90% inflation these past four years to justify the extra cost.

Nividia dropped their prices when they were worried about Vega. Prices then went back to and then further exceeded the original MSRP due to the mining frenzy.

1080 Ti. They said the RTX 270 is 8% faster than a 1080 Ti.

On the contrary. I think this pricing is to keep miners out. No way smart miners will invest that kind of money into a new tech that has yet to be proven on any of the current crypto algorithms out there.

they use calculators based on power + hash rates + return on investment...
it all depends on that

But AMD doesn't have less performance in MOST categories. The only cards they can't compete with are the 1080ti and up. Which is less than 5% of the market.

But all of parts announced today are in the 18080Ti+ category.

I guess I won't be replacing my GTX 970 this generation...
nVidia must be smokin' some mighty powerful crack to come up with these MSRPs. I miss the days when flagship cards were $400 (to think I used to complain about those prices) and the cards under the flagship were $200. I didn't even like $500 for the 980 or $650 for the 980 Ti and Fury X. GTX 970 was the last great legendary deal (and that's not even counting price reductions from partial refunds and the class action lawsuit from the segmented vRAM/reduced ROP issue). I guess I'll wait to see performance numbers, but I can't see myself buying a 2070 or either of the 2080s. I'll see what next year brings. Would be awesome if RTG busted out something great next year, but I'm not holding my breath. Same for the performance of these things matching their prices (though I would love to be wrong about that). Well, I'll be looking forward to the [H] reviews of these things, that's for damn sure.

Voodoo 2 12mb was only $300

Ah, but it lacked RGB and ray tracing. Also its SLI thing stood for something else that yielded much better improvements but still not as cool as nvlink imo. Did I tease you about my RGB led strip? Oh my...

I really should've bought a lot more stock. I was a fool.

Why not? The 1070 was just as fast as the GTX Titan X.

Because I don't see Volta as being that much of an evolutionary leap vs. Pascal. Otherwise, I would have expected the Titan V to perform much better against the 1080 Ti.

My 1080Ti will do me for the foreseeable future, thanks. At the current exchange rate, plus GST we're looking at $1,800+ Australian. I have two words... Fuck. Off.

That's just ridiculous. Nvidia's graphics card prices are out of control. For the price of the 2080 Ti, you can get a nice PC all on its own with a mid range graphics card.

Ridiculous for you. It's a luxury tier GPU for enthusiasts that want the best. Videogames do not require it.

That's like complaining a Ferrari costs too much and you can get several fully loaded Hyundai's instead.

What's so ridiculous, it's a luxury tier GPU. Videogames do not require it. It's like saying for the price of a Ferrari you can get two fully loaded Toyota's.

But the big difference is the Insurance rates on driving that Ferrari vs the Toyota's :)

No thank you. I thought $700 for a 1080 ti was a luxury purchase just 18 month ago. Did I miss when inflation hit 100%?

Just don't buy founders editions and the other manufacturers cards will look like a steal of a deal. ;)

I splurged on a 1080 Ti. I still feel bad about it, even though it plays anything I throw at it @2k.

This is just...nope. I'll wait another year or two before I even think about it. I don't care if ray tracing is the future.

Well if it is... there is still a long way between today and that future. At least 2-3 generations of GPUs before any game implements actual tracing worth buying a specific card for.

For these prices these cards better have a real world reason to be in games people care about right now. Hey if they really are 40-50% faster in games people play and allow 4k with all the current eye candy cranked to 11. With no strong competition in that braket... hey good on them for cashing in.

I have a feeling however that when Kyle gets his hands on these in a month (assuming Nvidia doesn't send his cards to the south pole on woopsie) it may well turn out these are only a slight bump in performance in current tech games. This is going to be a home run for Nvidia or a strike out. The anticipation. lol

I've been trying to make sense of this pricing strategy, and I'm going to speculate a bit, and curious what you guys think...

What puzzles me is why release now, given the backlog of previous gen and their lead on AMD? They could have waited and cleared the backlog. And beyond that, why this pricing strategy?

I think the answer is VR. A 1080ti is adequate for pancake gaming at 4k in most cases, as long as one doesn't need more than 60 Hz, or want to push the graphics settings to max. So no immediate need right now to release the next gen.

However the VirtualLink connector is a clue... why add it now when there is no tech that uses it??? And why release the 2080ti now, unlike previous generations? I think NVIDIA is trying to support the development of VR and VR desperately needs more powerful graphics processing capability in order deliver a superior experience vis-a-vis current headsets. No progress can be made with VR hardware without the graphics cards to support.

So NVIDIA releases a powerful new card but has no competition so prices aggressively, since developers of VR hardware/software will be the immediate consumers, and then when the next iteration of headsets comes out, VR businesses will buy the cards even if 2D gamers do not.

Anyone buy this argument?

I told you guys this would happen and predicted most of this right on Aug 3rd. Got model name wrong but info was sparse then.

Meh it'll be some hacked together implementation of ray tracing, (because we're still way off the processing requirements for another few gens), some lame ass ansel update, an 11 on the front, 20-30% perf over same product tier and +20-30% msrp.

I'm guessing they'll also try milk Ti out out the gate to justify increased price.

https://hardforum.com/threads/nvidia-promises-spectacular-surprises.1965249/page-4#post-1043759830
In fact they outdid me, the launch tax I didn't think about.

I did mention in another post, that they'd do this to keep used values and 1000 series inventory price high.
In ngreedia defence, it is a big die, it is the Ti on launch and I've given them shit for years for not doing those two things, :wtf:for actually doing this, if I made a big business deal tomorrow I'd probably bite.

Bravo nvidia, as much as I hate you. Let's hope it delivers the goods.

We went through a similar thing with the last generation. They Founders Edition cards are more expensive to give their resellers an advantage on the other manufacturers cards.

Worst case scenario is Miners buy up everything. I don't see that but who knows.

I've been trying to make sense of this pricing strategy, and I'm going to speculate a bit, and curious what you guys think...

What puzzles me is why release now, given the backlog of previous gen and their lead on AMD? They could have waited and cleared the backlog. And beyond that, why this pricing strategy?

I think the answer is VR. A 1080ti is adequate for pancake gaming at 4k in most cases, as long as one doesn't need more than 60 Hz, or want to push the graphics settings to max. So no immediate need right now to release the next gen.

However the VirtualLink connector is a clue... why add it now when there is no tech that uses it??? And why release the 2080ti now, unlike previous generations? I think NVIDIA is trying to support the development of VR and VR desperately needs more powerful graphics processing capability in order deliver a superior experience vis-a-vis current headsets. No progress can be made with VR hardware without the graphics cards to support.

So NVIDIA releases a powerful new card but has no competition so prices aggressively, since developers of VR hardware/software will be the immediate consumers, and then when the next iteration of headsets comes out, VR businesses will buy the cards even if 2D gamers do not.

Doesn't make sense to me. VR is keeping something of a single generational lag behind modern games. If they kept VR at the high end it will never penetrate the mainstream. Hell, it's still struggling to get into the mainstream even with pretty lax requirements by today's standards.

My guess is that we won't be seeing demanding VR HMDs or games for a good while. It's why the Vive Pro is more of a fork of the Vive than the next generation of it.

No

If this was about VR they would be talking about it. They are talking up Raytracing.

Quadro cards are what they sell to developers. They already released those. If you want to develop for VR on Nvidia gear that is what you are buying.

GTX/RTX/Vega those are for end users.

Game developers (and VR game developers are no different) Have a development cycle of 2-5 years. That is how long it takes to take a game from idea to shipping product. AAA games are closer to 5 years indie games can some times be done in under 2 years. Since the flop that was Cryis no publisher anywhere is willing to fund millions of dollars of development funds (some AAA game budgets are larger then Disney blcokbusters) at a game, that will require a high end video card. And at 5 years out that is a massive guessing game. At best they target what the high end is when they start developing hoping that that level of performance will be main stream when they ship. They can't afford to spend 150 million developing a game that when it ships in 5 years may only run well on a small fraction of gamers PCs.

That is the issue with VR game development right now. Not many publishers are willing to plunk down big AAA budgets on games that may still not run on mid range machines when they launch in 3-4 years.

I would suspect Ray Tracing is going to have the same issue. Publishers aren't going to be making any game that leans on that tech heavy any time soon... as there is a good possibility the average gamer won't be able to push their game at launch.

Nvidia 2000 is only going to be a winner if it can push 20+% FPS over the previous generation.

4 hrs since Kyle posted this thread and there's 5 pages just chock full of no-ways, screw Nvidia and etc LOL too bad Nvidia is so caught up in the greed wheel. IMO they're marketing for the miners they are hoping will replace the cards in their mining farms ???

2 years of over-inflated GPU prices only to find the 2080 will post @ $800 and that's MSRP, not what it will sell for online, etc

But then, what else could be expected from a CEO like Jensen "still a long way off" Huang ?

Look, you can call it "clever marketing" but a lie is still a lie ... period

What's best for people is continuing to do what they've always done - nothing is really going to change this - and that is buying the most performance they can afford.

or just going console for a year or two ... LOTs of titles I haven't played considering I never used a console

Last edited:
I am honestly quite surprised at you [H] for all the curd Nv did with GTX 10 series, GPP shenanigans not being as forthcoming as they should have been day one with DX 11/12 support etc, why so many posts about this RTX "Turing" stuff, they seemed to want you to "shut up" and not spill the beans on them (about what they were doing) but you are effectively giving them "free press".

I just don't get it ^.^

I am honestly quite surprised at you [H] for all the curd Nv did with GTX 10 series, GPP shenanigans not being as forthcoming as they should have been day one with DX 11/12 support etc, why so many posts about this RTX "Turing" stuff, they seemed to want you to "shut up" and not spill the beans on them (about what they were doing) but you are effectively giving them "free press".

I just don't get it ^.^

Well it is the hardware news of the day.

Seems to me Kyle thinks of himself as a journalist. He reports the news good and bad. In his reviews he has always tried to paint a real world picture instead of just copy and pasting the marketing spew.

Reporting on the news and presenting the facts good or bad no matter what you think of the person/company making the news is the mark of a good journalist.

But all of parts announced today are in the 18080Ti+ category.

The 2080 looks like it has the same performance more or less than the 1080ti. 11Tflops. The only card that looks like it has SIGNIFICANTLY more power is $1200.

I just don't get it ^.^

At the end of the day, Kyle is still a hardware enthusiast and today is a pretty big announcement.

Well it is the hardware news of the day.

Seems to me Kyle thinks of himself as a journalist. He reports the news good and bad. In his reviews he has always tried to paint a real world picture instead of just copy and pasting the marketing spew.

Reporting on the news and presenting the facts good or bad no matter what you think of the person/company making the news is the mark of a good journalist.

Kyle rocks :cool::barefoot::joyful::);)

keep-calm-and-get-back-on-topic.png

This is pretty awesome tech and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes in the future. However, I think I'll stick with the 1080 ti I just ordered. Maybe I'll engage step up with EVGA and get the 2080, but only if offers enough of a performance boost in non-RTX enabled titles to be worth it.

What y'all complaining about, just a few months ago during the mining craze, the old gen cards were same price.

You cheap bastards... (I recently got a 1080Ti and it will last me until next year. Even at 4k)

Seriously though Nvidia is out of there minds, they wait two years and then come up with this crap, please AMD help us out.,

Jensen had a slide up toward the end of the presentation that said;

RTX 2800Ti - $1000USD
RTX 2800 - $699.99USD
RTX 2700 - $499.99USD

So the prices that caused up a stir in this thread were wrong.

I paid $700 for my founders Edition GTX 1080, and the GTX 1080 Ti came out for more than $1000 at launch if I'm not mistaken. Seems like the prices are holding still or slightly dropping for the cards. I can't wait for the reviews.
Yes you are mistaken and all you had to do was literally a one second Google search to see the 1080 TI launched at 699...

When they release the 4080TI, then I'll look for a used 2070.

Geesh. These prices are...kinda rough.

To no-one surprise manufacturers are going for the rape and pillage approach.

MSI 2080TI of the RTX. 1199.99 on newegg. Others are around or more.

Hopefully this will be like GTX280/60, AMD is around corner with their cards, and Nvidia is forced to sharply drop prices, no way I'm buying at these prices.

Reactions: _l_
like this
Back