RTX 2070 Supper needs 1x 6-pin + 1x 8-pin- Can I use am adapter ?

cryptosz2

n00b
Hello Fellows, newbie here. Quick hardware/power pins question.
I just created my small mining machine from spare gaming PC I have.
I will just stay with 2 GPUs.

I have 2 PCI slots:
1st. port - I got RX580 8GG pluged in directly
2nd port - I got a raiser card with Molex/Sata power connector. I have RTX 2070 Super arriving in few days.

My 1000V PCU has 2x 6+2 PCI Connectors and bunch of molex/sata ones.

580 is using first 6+2 (8) Pci, but 2070 needs 6+8. so I'm short 6 pin connector.

Im guessing that I can't use 8 pin to 6+8 adaptor, right??

Is connecting to SATA is my only option?

Regards

mike

I wouldn't use a SATA adapter.... the connections on those were never meant to carry that much amperage AND the SATA power connections are not tight in the first place so you will most likely end up at the very least melting some wiring.

What exact brand and model of PSU do you have?

I wouldn't use a SATA adapter.... the connections on those were never meant to carry that much amperage AND the SATA power connections are not tight in the first place so you will most likely end up at the very least melting some wiring.

What exact brand and model of PSU do you have?

Apevia PR1000W Prestige 1000W 80+ Gold​

Any other options?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Rosewill one would work just fine. It has 4x 8-pin PCIe Probably really 4x 6+2 pin PCIe

It will also include all the other modular cables.

You won't need the SATA TO 6-pin adapter.

Get a quality name-brand 850 watt PSU, not a bottom barrel 1000 watt.

325 watts for the RX580, 225 watts for the RTX 2070 Super, stock speeds. 550 watts for the GPUs alone. If your CPU isn't under load, everything is stock, and it's a barebones system, you can get away with a 650 watt PSU. A bottom barrel 1000 watt PSU will only safely output 750 watts or so, whereas a quality 850 watt can actually output 850 watts.

325 watts for the RX580, 225 watts for the RTX 2070 Super, stock speeds. 550 watts for the GPUs alone. If your CPU isn't under load, everything is stock, and it's a barebones system, you can get away with a 650 watt PSU. A bottom barrel 1000 watt PSU will only safely output 750 watts or so, whereas a quality 850 watt can actually output 850 watts.

I think you might have those power draws reversed? I don't think a RX580 pulls more than 225W even with a torture test. If you're mining and pulling 225W with an RX580 you're doing it wrong.

If you're optimizing your cards for mining, the RX580 shouldn't pull more than 100W and the 2070 more than 160W or so.

I think you might have those power draws reversed? I don't think a RX580 pulls more than 225W even with a torture test. If you're mining and pulling 225W with an RX580 you're doing it wrong.

If you're optimizing your cards for mining, the RX580 shouldn't pull more than 100W and the 2070 more than 160W or so.

You're right, I should have known better than to look at the Anandtech headline at the top of Google search results. Always use Techpowerup for actual draw numbers.

In which case, 350 watts in total for the GPUs. A good 650 watt PSU is more than sufficient to handle the load.

Back