RTX 2070 or RTX 2080?

Spoom

n00b
I am trying to buy one or the other, but I am reading a lot of negative comments about the 20xx Series. What is everyone's take on these cards?

I would just read some reviews and see if the performance is what you need for your budget.

What kind of monitor do you have and how much are you willing to spend?

There's nothing negative per se about the cards. They run very well as you'd expect (assuming you get a good card). Seems like early production issues have been sorted out as I haven't heard too much about "space invaders" recently.

It's the price of the cards that have people upset (myself included in full disclosure). The price/performance of the new Turing cards is no different than the old Pascal cards (New pricing). The "FPS" you paid for 3 years ago is close to what you get today even with a new generation of GPU. The new "features" that you are supposedly paying extra for have very little use as there aren't many games that support them and performance takes a hit when enabled. So essentially, 3 years of tech development and Nvidia wants people to pay the same price for the performance of what you could have bought 3 years ago. That's a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people. You're better off buying a used Pascal card and saving yourself $150-200 compared to the comparable "next gen" new card Nvidia has for sale because you're getting the same performance outside of the few titles that take advantage of newer features.

Last edited:
At this point it makes no sense to pay for a used card that will get you the same rasterization performance of a new card. Warranty does matter and a new card will have a longer warranty than a used card. So save money by buying used and a limited time warranty or go new and be able to replace the card via RMA much farther in the future. Also, if you are a person who likes to resell their stuff then the 20XX series will retain value better.

With that said I would buy an RTX 2080 if I was you.

At this point it makes no sense to pay for a used card that will get you the same rasterization performance of a new card. Warranty does matter and a new card will have a longer warranty than a used card. So save money by buying used and a limited time warranty or go new and be able to replace the card via RMA much farther in the future. Also, if you are a person who likes to resell their stuff then the 20XX series will retain value better.

With all due respect to the warranty argument, I have used maybe 60-75 different video cards over the past 18 years. I have had exactly 1 fail within the warranty period, and then I played a fuck fuck game with Sapphire over getting a working card back. Out of the others, the only other one that completely failed outside of warranty was a 7 year old HP OEM card that had terrible cooling. I'm not saying that you won't have bad luck, but if you keep your cards cool, don't do silly things with them in terms of overclocking or a fan profile that leaves it at 90C+ while gaming for hours on end, etc. you likely will never have reason to use the warranty within the useful lifespan of the card. Buy a card with some time left on a serial number based warranty from a reputable seller, and test it to make sure it works fine while you're in your warranty period.

As for resale, you either save the money now or save it later. Unless you're getting a RTX 2080 for sub $600 (unlikely as I just checked on NE and the cheapest one was $699+Tax), you can save money now by getting similar performance out of a used 1080Ti (~$500-550 depending on the model). Plus, it's tough to say what the resale of the RTX series is going to be given the comparable performance to Pascal. I saw a guy this week in FS/FT who can't sell his RTX 2060 at $275.

Last edited:
I'm a big believer in buying the most GPU muscle you can afford. If you can swing the 2080 then buy it, even if you're at 1920x1080 because you never know when you'll find that sweet deal on a 144 Hz 1440 or 4K monitor that you can't pass up. When you do, you'll have the GPU horsepower to take better advantage of it.

Plus buy overkill now and it'll be a lot longer before you have to shell out the cash for an upgrade.

I spent $600 on a MSI 290x Lightning not long after they came out in 2013 (think I got mine early 2014). I finally upgraded to my 2070 more to satisfy the upgrade bug than out of necessity. Yes it was getting long in the tooth and showing signs of its age in newer releases but my point is the more GPU you buy now, the longer it will last.

TL/DR: buy the fastest GPU you can practically afford.

Performance-wise, there should be nothing wrong with the 20-series.

Most of the backlash was because of the high price, and some QC issues at launch.

If you are comfortable spending the money, then feel free to purchase.

With all due respect to the warranty argument, I have used maybe 60-75 different video cards over the past 18 years. I have had exactly 1 fail within the warranty period, and then I played a fuck fuck game with Sapphire over getting a working card back. Out of the others, the only other one that completely failed outside of warranty was a 7 year old HP OEM card that had terrible cooling. I'm not saying that you won't have bad luck, but if you keep your cards cool, don't do silly things with them in terms of overclocking or a fan profile that leaves it at 90C+ while gaming for hours on end, etc. you likely will never have reason to use the warranty within the useful lifespan of the card. Buy a card with some time left on a serial number based warranty from a reputable seller, and test it to make sure it works fine while you're in your warranty period.

As for resale, you either save the money now or save it later. Unless you're getting a RTX 2080 for sub $600 (unlikely as I just checked on NE and the cheapest one was $699+Tax), you can save money now by getting similar performance out of a used 1080Ti (~$500-550 depending on the model). Plus, it's tough to say what the resale of the RTX series is going to be given the comparable performance to Pascal. I saw a guy this week in FS/FT who can't sell his RTX 2060 at $275.

I purchased a 2070 for $370 cash on CL and sold it for 430 on reddit. They go like 450 on ebay

If you check CL you can get nice deals sometimes for cash, because its a lot better for sllers to not have to pay paypal shipping ebay etc

A lot of the 1080ti's floating around we're bought in 2018. 2 years warranty on a 1080ti for $500ish ain't bad.

Ok, some real advice. I would get a 1080 ti if you can but don't spend a penny more that $450. And yes, you can do this. I just bought PNY blower 1080 ti for $400 and a EVGA dual fan 1080 ti for $450. A month ago I bought a 1070 ti for $300.

Hit up craigslist and or Facebook Marketplace a week prior to the 1st, end of the month and start hitting up dudes. Do not stick around and negotiate ... tell them you have $450 cash and that's it and that would be your final offer. Don't go back and forth with him. Just keep checking your messages to see if he agrees. Most people have bill pressure at the end / start of the month. You can play off peoples financial fears easily.

Again, don't negotiate ... I've been doing this for nearly 30 years. People will talk themselves into taking less. Trust me. Silence is a great tool.

Just sit this generation out.

I think the newer cards at the end of this year if there are any or in 2020 will be a lot more affordable from nVidia .... AMD still has a lot of issues with their performance, even their new stuff coming out, benchmarks have been leaked and it's really only about as fast as a 1080 Ti the internet is saying .... but this was to be expected.

I have the 2080 ti and fukking love it but the $1300 to me is probably like $100 to most guys so if you have the cash, get the 2080 and don't look back .... and forget about ever using it for RT. ... that's not going to take off for a few more years save the handful of occasional titles.

Also, you young guys don't know this yet but don't waste a lot of time debating or doubting, just do it. You're covered with warranty and in the grand scheme of things, money can be replaced. You're going to be ok no matter what you do.

There are a lot of AMD fanboi's and nVidia have-nots that are playing up the higher cost of these cards along with the space invaders bullshit. Ignore them. They are talking a lot of shit .... that's all you're hearing.

Get yourself a blazing ass video card and throw up middle fingers to everyone else behind you.

And sorry if I sound condescending ... it's not that at all. The older you get a lot less time you want to spend on something especially talking about it. I just cut to the point. Try it.

Last edited:
Explain the "negative comments". Some of the 2080tis and 2080s had issues dying early on. I believe that has largely been fixed with the later batches. I doubt you'll get one of the problem cards if you purchased now. The RTX 2070 seems to have been much better with few failures from casual observation. Been using an RTX 2070 from EVGA since around Black Friday, no issues so far.

Otherwise, the pricing is pretty bad. Yeah the RTX 2070 should be closer to around $400 rather than $500-520 that you'll end up paying. Nvidia upped the pricing a lot across the board. It depends what you're coming from, what your end goal is and how much you think you can spend. If you're on an old GPU and are running a higher end resolution you don't have many options if you want to max out games with high frame rates.

Ok, some real advice. I would get a 1080 ti if you can but don't spend a penny more that $450. And yes, you can do this. I just bought PNY blower 1080 ti for $400 and a EVGA dual fan 1080 ti for $450. A month ago I bought a 1070 ti for $300.

Hit up craigslist and or Facebook Marketplace a week prior to the 1st, end of the month and start hitting up dudes. Do not stick around and negotiate ... tell them you have $450 cash and that's it and that would be your final offer. Don't go back and forth with him. Just keep checking your messages to see if he agrees. Most people have bill pressure at the end / start of the month. You can play off peoples financial fears easily.

Again, don't negotiate ... I've been doing this for nearly 30 years. People will talk themselves into taking less. Trust me. Silence is a great tool.

Just sit this generation out.

I think the newer cards at the end of this year if there are any or in 2020 will be a lot more affordable from nVidia .... AMD still has a lot of issues with their performance, even their new stuff coming out, benchmarks have been leaked and it's really only about as fast as a 1080 Ti the internet is saying .... but this was to be expected.

I have the 2080 ti and fukking love it but the $1300 to me is probably like $100 to most guys so if you have the cash, get the 2080 and don't look back .... and forget about ever using it for RT. ... that's not going to take off for a few more years save the handful of occasional titles.

Also, you young guys don't know this yet but don't waste a lot of time debating or doubting, just do it. You're covered with warranty and in the grand scheme of things, money can be replaced. You're going to be ok no matter what you do.

There are a lot of AMD fanboi's and nVidia have-nots that are playing up the higher cost of these cards along with the space invaders bullshit. Ignore them. They are talking a lot of shit .... that's all you're hearing.

Get yourself a blazing ass video card and throw up middle fingers to everyone else behind you.

And sorry if I sound condescending ... it's not that at all. The older you get a lot less time you want to spend on something especially talking about it. I just cut to the point. Try it.

I don't think you're very sorry about sounding condescending because you do it in every thread. The "$1300 to me is probably like $100 to most guys" takes the cake though.

I don't think you're very sorry about sounding condescending because you do it in every thread. The "$1300 to me is probably like $100 to most guys" takes the cake though.
LOL yeah, he blathers constantly. He even went on once about how he uses Microcenter as a rental program on new card launches, buying a ref card then returning it a few weeks later once the custom cards hit and buying that as his real purchase. Slimey and arrogant.

Honestly you should be asking RTX2060 or RTX2080.

The 2060 has seriously dented the value proposition of the 2070.

If you want hardware RTX. Ask if you're looking for decent performance on a budget or you want balls-to-the-wall performance.

It's almost that simple.

Honestly you should be asking RTX2060 or RTX2080.

The 2060 has seriously dented the value proposition of the 2070.

If you want hardware RTX. Ask if you're looking for decent performance on a budget or you want balls-to-the-wall performance.

It's almost that simple.
Yeah I never thought the 2070 was a good but. But for sure with the 2060 it's worse.

LOL yeah, he blathers constantly. He even went on once about how he uses Microcenter as a rental program on new card launches, buying a ref card then returning it a few weeks later once the custom cards hit and buying that as his real purchase. Slimey and arrogant.

Rental program? Those aren't my words. Probably a "have-nots" ... sounds about right. I swear to god you make me laugh so hard every single time. I love it. Almost spit out my milk. Please. more content from you. I'm def a subscriber.

Amazon has a 2080 for $509 right now, but it’s on backorder. See the hot deals forum for details.

Reactions: Auer
like this
I just went with a 2080 I was in the same boat. But looking forward at some games coming out and the game package, and being able to resell my 1070 made it all worth while to me to buy.

BTW anyone wanna buy my Gigabyte 170 in the sig? Oddly physically it looks very similar to the new Gigabyte 2080 I just put in! ;)

So I say go for it. If you need justification perhaps you can sell the one you have today?

I had one Asus 2080 Strix and one Asus 2080 Strix Ti die on me. I ended up buying a used 1080 Ti. I keep my cards for a long time and I don't trust the 2080 to last after the warranty period.

Rental program? Those aren't my words. Probably a "have-nots" ... sounds about right. I swear to god you make me laugh so hard every single time. I love it. Almost spit out my milk. Please. more content from you. I'm def a subscriber.

The problem is your constant badgering about how everyone who doesn't pay up for a graphics card that you would buy is a "have not." It's simply ignorant. I could buy a 2080Ti for every person in my family if I wanted...it doesn't change the fact that it's a terrible proposition in price/performance. The most I'd be willing to pay for one is $800 regardless of how many I could buy at full price.

Further your denigration of anyone who may have actually had to deal with "space invaders bullshit" makes you further look ignorant.

And while I'm at it, more ignorance from your keyboard:
Your comment about "real advice" meaning that everyone who commented above has an invalid point of view.

Your comment, "Also, you young guys don't know this yet but don't waste a lot of time debating or doubting, just do it. You're covered with warranty and in the grand scheme of things, money can be replaced. You're going to be ok no matter what you do" again shows that being older doesn't bring wisdom. Yes, money can be replaced, but a young 20 something would be much better served by a couple extra hundred bucks in reserve vs. having a video card that you would choose for them.

And while you never used the term "rental program," I've seen the posts where you claimed that you would buy cards and then return them after the aftermarket cooling came out. You can sit there and say that it's an acceptable practice (I mean you're not breaking the law). Others aren't going to agree as over time it makes for less generous return policies and higher prices. So don't be surprised when someone calls you out on your own "bullshit."

That is a really good price but all the double fan cards are too loud for my liking.

It was actually a blower style Asus Turbo card...yikes (although I used a 1080 Turbo card and it wasn't terrible...somewhat better than the reference Vega 64 I had).

For Turing or 20 series cards I would either wait to see if the failure rate has dropped off or buy a Vega VII. Looking at .1% and 1% numbers the Vega VII is the superior card over the 2080 and at times even better than the 2080 Ti. Plus if more Ray Tracing use of Turing in games and past games come around, Turing would look interesting. Other than that a used 1080 Ti maybe the best bet overall.

For Turing or 20 series cards I would either wait to see if the failure rate has dropped off or buy a Vega VII. Looking at .1% and 1% numbers the Vega VII is the superior card over the 2080 and at times even better than the 2080 Ti. Plus if more Ray Tracing use of Turing in games and past games come around, Turing would look interesting. Other than that a used 1080 Ti maybe the best bet overall.

I wish there was a Vega 7 Strix.

Reactions: noko
like this
Well the 2080 for 510 looks like a mistake, and now gone. I think though that level of performance is worth $500. From benches that I have seen a 1080ti and 2080 are pretty close. I get the warranty thing but if you go that route make sure to research vendor. Personally evga has been good, Asus is a crap shoot, and most of the AMD vendors are a step below. However to reiterate the above video cards rarely go bad as long as you don't have some kind of power spike. I am including mining cards in that, as most who know what they were doing kept them cool and under volted for reliability (profitability increases as power cost goes down). Final caveat is while I think ray tracing is cool, nvidia is using their market dominance to force a tech down our throat which conversely eats up their die space and end result is a similar spec card for more $. Really a function of AMD not keeping pace.

I got the 2070, it's OK for my current needs: high-Hz 1080p gaming. I didn't go for the 2080 because I expect much better overall performance, both RTX and general, once nVidia releases the 3000 series, and the difference between the two cards is 20-30% at most. So it's better to save for when the 3000 series comes out.

I am trying to buy one or the other, but I am reading a lot of negative comments about the 20xx Series. What is everyone's take on these cards?

My vote goes to Radeon VII 16GB or GTX 1080 Ti 11GB. Both the RTX 2070 and 2080 are overpriced for what they offer.... so much money for so little VRAM in 2019 is ridiculous.

I recently picked up a 2070 to replace an ancient 680 which was no longer able to make min settings in games. Aside from a few annoying delays after initial loading, it's running BF5 at 4k at max settings with ray tracing enabled. In my case, it made sense to finally drop the $$ for an upgrade.

My advise is to buy the most card you can afford. Unless you are the type that upgrades to the latest in every cycle, it will last you the longest before it becomes impossible to play the newest titles at normal settings.

Most people would say a 2070 will be pretty solid at 1440p at any game settings. 4k ok-ish as long as you don't mind toning down the settings until it works. Obviously not 120hz capable above 1080p on newest titles.

The 2080, entirely solid at 1440p at any game settings and 4k at most game settings except very high and ultra.

From a pure price/performance standpoint the 2070 is in the best zone.

I personally have a 2080. It was more a matter of what I could justify spending. It was too expensive for the performance delivered, but I like high performance. That's all there is to it.

HOWEVER, if your goal is to at meet or beat a 1080 Ti in all cases, the 2080 is the only option.

Considering we are looking at $500, $700 and $1250... It is pretty easy to see where the value lies.

Without knowing much about what the user wants, I'd recommend the 2070 every time. It's a more powerful replacement of the 1080 and does better than the 1080 at higher resolutions.

Back