RTX 2070 or 2080 for play a long time

Actually i have a:

GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 GHZ 3.2
RAM: 8gb DDR4 3000MHZ

and a resolution: 2,560 x 1,080 @ 60Hz

So, the things is that I want to upgrade and I know that the rtx 2080 is for 4k but my main goal is to make sure I have a good time playing on max settings, especially for the releases that are coming. Probably next year I will buy a 1440 monitor "maybe" ...

So, do I really need a rtx 2080?
or with an RTX 2070 is enough?

GTX 1080 or 1080ti I do not consider them as I would like to take advantage of the Raytracing and DLSS in the future.

I do not live in the United States, so the prices of these gpus are not very nice, Currently I can easily buy the 2070 but it will require a little more effort for a 2080.

Hope you can help me, thanks.

I had the opportunity to test out a RTX 2070 and was VERY impressed with it.

It handled my 34" ROG Ultrawide perfectly and the Oculus Rift ran liquid smooth.

Better served upgrading the rest of the system insted. At 1080 screen res your CPU is holding you back.

16gb ram and some CPU running at 4.6-5ghz would be a good start.

Better served upgrading the rest of the system insted. At 1080 screen res your CPU is holding you back.

I thought after this purchase, upgrade to 16GB of RAM, the CPU is probably a little later.
I would like to improve the gpu first

I still do not know what would be the best choice

It sounds like you are slightly low on cash and a 2070 would easily max settings in the vast majority of games. You can use DSR to super scale games you have a lot of leftover fps to burn.

I super scale World of Warships from 6880x2880 (more than twice the pixels of 4k) down to 3440x1440 heheheheh. 2070 is a great 2560x1440 resolution card right now. Only you can answer value and is it worth it...

But he's at 2560x1080 not straight 1920x1080, so it's slightly less CPU bound. His CPU is fine, just maybe needs a modest 3.8-3.9 OC on all cores with some more RAM.

2070 would be my choice. Then RAM later. I'd be holding off a CPU upgrade for a while personally. Yours is fine.

A 2070 would do you fine. You should have no problem hitting 60fps.

Maybe get 16GB of RAM, but the CPU should be adequate.

This is probably well out of your budget, but I am of the opinion that you need a 2080 Ti to run "max settings" at 1440p. Some games offer options which only slightly improve the visuals, but cause massive hits to frame rate. As an one-off example, I'm currently playing through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on my sig rig, and the difference between "max settings" and "something reasonable" is a 30% difference in frame rate.

The most extreme example of this is RTX, which you specifically said you are interested in. Ask far as folks can tell, the visual impact of RTX pretty much amounts to "the shadows and reflections look slightly better", but the frame rate impact is huge - in Tomb Raider, for example, RTX seems to be the difference between > 60 fps at 4K and not even breaking 60 fps at 1080p on a 2080 Ti.

In the end I decided to buy a rtx 2080 and at the moment is going pretty well, although it is certainly hurt the only 8gb ram

Thanks everbody the help

In the end I decided to buy a rtx 2080 and at the moment is going pretty well, although it is certainly hurt the only 8gb ram

Thanks everbody the help

Or you can wait a couple of months and get a 2080 with more RAM. Ray tracing just loooooves VRAM

No way I would have bought an $800 gpu to stick in a system with a Ryzen 1700 and 8gb of ram and play at 2560x1080. That is a laughable waste for 99.9% of games on that setup for that resolution as a much cheaper card would have given you the same playable performance. But hey at least you get to play at 30-40 fps at that res with ray tracing on in a handful of games in the next couple years...

Last edited:
Recommend buying a used 1070ti or 1080 or Vega 56 (whichever is cheapest).
All 3 of above cards are solid for 1440P gaming and can be had for about $350 US (used).

You are better off saving additional cash to put a Zen 2 chip in there in 2019 with much faster clock speed.

2070 and 8gb more of ram should do fine for you.

Or if you upgrade your cpu, do that first and get like a 1080 second hand.

1080p resolution is not very demanding at all.

Your cpu is fine. Overclock it to 3.8ghz minimum. Even with the bundled spire cooler. I overclocked 7 or 8 ryzen 1700s. They all hit 3.8Ghz with no issue.

Don’t know how?

Watch this video...

Back