RTX 2070 Driver Won't Install

guitarguy6

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys,

I just upgraded to an MSI Duke RTX 2070 from a GTX 1070. Before swapping cards I uninstalled nvidia drivers, booted into safe mode and cleaned out the old drivers using DDU. I've tried installing the drivers with Geforce experience, by manually downloading both standard and DCH versions of the latest drivers and also the 430.97 and 431.18 hotfix drivers but nothing works. Between every attempt I would uninstall nvidia drivers, boot to safe mode and clean out old drivers with DDU. With the latest drivers I get an error saying it's not compatible with the version of windows I have. If I use hotfix drivers or geforce experience it completes installation but if I check device manager the RTX 2070 has a yellow exclamation point and I'm stuck at 1024x768 resolution on my 4K monitor. 2070 is installed in the 16x pci-e slot but I've also tried the 8x slot my old 1070 was in. My system is:

Windows 10 Pro 64 1903

Z87X-OC with F8 Bios

i7 4790k

16gb DDR-3 Ram

Evga 800 Watt PSU

I've been trying to get this to work for like 5 hours and am at my wits end. Do any of you have any suggestions for me to try?

If you pop your 1070 back in, do the drivers install correctly?

Also, why uninstall the nVidia drivers when the 2070 uses the same driver install?

I solod the 1070 so I can't try it. I just found out that if I uninstall the drivers and try to get windows to update them it crashes and gives me an error:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43

I guess this 2070 is faulty.

Throw another drive in, reinstall Windows on that and see if you get the same results.

Back