RTS

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
Any good RTS coming out? The last one I played is supcom, waiting for SC2 but it's probably not going to be out for another 10 years.

Dawn of War II

I actually played the beta of DoW2. I wouldn't consider it an RTS and I find the game very shallow. My old CoH mate who got the game also got tired of it in a week and went back to CoH, which is the best RTS on my list.

I wouldn't hold your breath for supcom 2, there is some major dumbing down of the economy and gameplay going on.

AoE3 is decent, though ends up being repetitive.
SupCom is great, get Forged Alliance, as that is a stand alone expansion, and it has all the bug fixes.
SC2... you're right about that.
DoW2... I agree, its not really a RTS. It's sort of a RTT/World in Conflict wannabe, but WiC is better

SupCom2... they better not dumb it down!

If you have supreme commander and CoH what more do you need :D

Oh and supreme commander 2 is being made console friendly and after how bad it ran on the 360 last time they are reducing it's complexity and the economy or so people say.

The economy I don't know about but it is impossible to have it on the same scale on the 360 as the PC due to the weakness of the 360. No amount of optimising can make up for that.

AoE3 was great until I start getting perfect Ottorush by high leveled players 9/10 games, which is one of the reason I switched to COH at the time.

rise of nations.. supcom/supcom:FA.. theres nothing more you need.. i mean hell i still waste 6-7 hours a day playing the AI on supcom:FA.. its always fun using the unlimited money and creating a farm of nukes and firing off 30 nukes all at the same time.. :p

i still think AoE2 is better then AoE3 gameplay wise..

Starcraft2 is what Im waiting for the most. Sadly, due to the new battle.net2 interface still in developement, it wont come out for at least another half year -.-

Rise of legends is pretty cool in campaign mode :)

He asked for good RTS games.
Fixed. DoW2 is a good game, it's just not RTS; more a blend of light RTT with Action RPG.

As for good RTS games out there right now, I would say definitely pick up CoH if you haven't played it. I would also recommend Sins of a Solar Empire, though be warned the scale is quite a bit larger and the pacing slower than what you're probably used to.

In terms of micro COH is the ONLY rts out there IMO.

Theres no other RTS like it, Every other RTS I have played is pretty much summed up in one sentence: "Mass money/units, then smash them at the enemy in 1 huge ass battle until one person wins" On the other hand COH revolves around situational fights. Little battles that overall affect the "war" Fighting is promoted from the first few seconds of the game rather than after everyone has built up stuff. And no Im not an RTS newb I realize most RTS games go by really fast, but even so it still holds true there is usually only one major fight that decides who is the victor. Yet in COH you can lose fights all day but if you are smart and retreat your men you still have a very good chance to win the game.

Ive been getting back into WC3, and SC though tbh :)

Dawn of War 2 is fun, how on earth is it not an RTS game? Especially if you think CoH is, it's the same basic gameplay except you have a hero type of unit.
CoH was already skirting the line between strategy and tactics. As for DoW2, there's no base building, unit production, or resource management (the very thing that separates strategy from tactics) in the single player at all. There is some in the multiplayer, but it's pretty minimal, even compared to CoH. Like I said earlier, I think DoW2 is a good game, maybe even great, but if he's specifically looking for strategy, DoW2 is not the game for him.

IMO it's strategy, as tactics are a part of "strategy." I don't think an RTS must have base building/resource management to be an RTS.

By your standard classics like Myth aren't RTS Games, even though it's labeled as such and won many RTS of the year awards.

Back