RT-AC87R bottlenecking internet speed, Solutions?

Ruder EMB

n00b
Modem Arris CM8200
Router Asus rt-ac87r
MB P8z77-v PRO, LAN Intel 82579V
I have cox cable for Internet. I have recently upgraded from 300 Mpbs down/30 Mpbs service to gigabit service 1000 Mpbs down/35 Mpbs up.
I noticed I was getting 350Mpbs down/ 35 Mpbs up running speed test. I had cox service guy (dont laugh :) ) he replaced jacks at the house and fix some issue at outside hub down the street.
I bought some cat 7 cables. Speedtest showed 720mbps D/ 44Mbps U. I was running modem to router to computer all wired no one else on network.
Ran modem to computer wired with each cat 7 cables i bought and got 945 Mpbs D/ 44 Mpbs.
Put router back into network and 720 Mpbs D on speedtest.
Same results with Merlin 384.7 or Asus 3.0.0.4.382 firmware both with default settings except QoS disabled, 500Mpbs D with Qos enabled. Asus dual cpu ran at 100% when reaching 450+Mpbs

Is the router is running at full potential?

Any solutions ?

Am I missing a proper setting in router?

Buy wired router ?. Thus modem to Wired router than to computer and asus ac87r Qos enabled?

I want max speed to main computer. Rest of clients (aka roommates and wireless devices) connected will get what they get. Asus router works flawlessly when comes to wireless stability and strength.

Last edited:
2k9txm.jpg

Edgerouter 4, generally, for 1Gbps. The Edgerouter-X which is damn cheap ($50 on sale) has been known to do 1Gbps, but generally the ER-4 is the one that's guaranteed. I intend to step up my internet to 1Gbps at some point, which is why I'm running one myself.

Could be your router. Could be interference from nearby wifi xmiters. How many APs show up on your 'can connect to' list? Just because they aren't on your network doesn't mean they aren't interfering with it and eating cycles. If you really want 945 vs 720(such problems to have!), get a wired router and make the wifi a secure AP off the router.

I ended up going with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X from what I read in review seemed to be 880Mpbs to 934Mpbs.
Next question with running the ER-X with one line going to computer and other line going to Asus with QoS what D/U limits should I put on the Asus. Cable internet speeds should be 930Mpbs/30Mpbs. I was thinking 200Mpbs/10Mpbs on Asus AP. I have 4 roommates about 5 to 14 clients on the Asus. Am I being to greedy or can I be greedier with having 700Mpbs/20Mpbs reserved for my main computer?

Also thanks everyone for taking time to reply with helpful posts

If i saw this earlier i would have said just build your own.
pfsense or untangle on 2 gigabit cards in an old core 2 duo machine would have been dandy!

I ended up going with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X from what I read in review seemed to be 880Mpbs to 934Mpbs.
Next question with running the ER-X with one line going to computer and other line going to Asus with QoS what D/U limits should I put on the Asus. Cable internet speeds should be 930Mpbs/30Mpbs. I was thinking 200Mpbs/10Mpbs on Asus AP. I have 4 roommates about 5 to 14 clients on the Asus. Am I being to greedy or can I be greedier with having 700Mpbs/20Mpbs reserved for my main computer?

Also thanks everyone for taking time to reply with helpful posts
Who pays for it? If it's you, put whatever rules you want on it. 200 mbps is twice as fast as my whole internet connection. Plenty to stream, game, etc on for a family.
If you all split the bill, I say make the QoS rules fair.
Did you already turn the Asus into AP only mode? You will definitely want to do that, and let the ER-X handle DHCP

I installed the ER-X works excellent great speed.
modem > eth0=ER-X(192.168.1.1 > [ eth1 = main computer 192.168.1.55, eth2=asus wan 192.168.1.65 and lan 192.168.2.1 )]
I kept the Asus router as a router not access point, because all the clients except main computer are on the Asus. Reason being I have the Asus cpu where i have QoS/bandwidth limitation enabled do all the work. Therefor QoS disabled on ER-X max speed for main computer.

How do I access the Asus software from main computer. I tried port fowarding from asus software but I imagine i am butchering the shit out of it.
1.If I can use port fowarding on asus software how do I set that up(I know where the tab is :p)?
I really hate unplugging my computer cat 7 from ER-X and plugging it into the Asus just to access the asus software.

I also decided to do 100Mpbs D/ 8Mpbs U for Asus router which has about 12 clients no complaints so far.

I really hate unplugging my computer cat 7 from ER-X and plugging it into the Asus just to access the asus software.

If the ASUS router doesn't have a provision to make it's interface accessible from the WAN port... then this is what you're going to have to do.

Also note that your situation is extremely rare, with respect to consumer routers- and making the configuration interface externally accessible is generally a security disaster in nearly all instances.

Something that just popped into my mind- see if the ASUS router has a provision for VPN. You may be able to VPN into it from your main network.

Also, you could put QoS only on the ER-X interface that the ASUS router uses. I'm not sure if this will inhibit your main network through CPU usage on the ER-X, though.

QoS should be configured on the WAN facing device. Any internal device with QoS won't persist if the WAN facing device isn't configured to handle the packets appropriately. You might as well turn off QoS on the Asus altogether, unless you are strictly using it to do bandwidth limiting. Otherwise, you get no actual QoS or benefit from it. Unless, as stated above, you are simply bandwidth limiting. True QoS is something different than bandwidth limiting. And, I think it's important to make that distinction rather than call everything QoS. Which is not the fault of anyone here. It's more the fault of the manufacturers...

Back