Rt-ac68r+att gigabit

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by stonewalker, Sep 18, 2019.

1. stonewalker

stonewalker Gawd

I have the ASUS RT-AC68R with spectrum right now with speeds at 400/30 and the wireless router seems to do good but I just signed up for att gigabit and was wondering if i'd need a new wireless router? I have 4 ppl in my house with 2 4k tvs and ppl are always gaming or steaming. Thx!

2. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Unless your wifi clients are capable of more than what that router can do, I'd be in a 'wait and see' mode.

No reason to go out and buy a new router if the old one works just fine. I'm assuming that you have some wired stuff that will benefit regardless of wifi speeds

3. stonewalker

stonewalker Gawd

My pc and one of the 4k tvs are wired, everything else is wifi.

4. Nicklebon

Nicklebon Gawd

Keep in mind that ATT also forces you to use their router. In some situations this can be worked around.

5. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

play it by ear... Just because you have more bandwidth does not mean your wireless clients will need more. Plus their is always QOS

6. stonewalker

stonewalker Gawd

Yeah I'll probably just wait and see.

7. rhansen5_99

rhansen5_99 [H]ard|Gawd

Well for information I just did the same. The att ac range is sub optimal vs asus 68u with Merlin, also combines 2.4 and 5 in same broadcast. It might be a wash between devices as I have had trouble on 2.4 on Asus and am not seeing it with att unit.