RROD on my 360 Elite :(

Danith

2[H]4U
So I was watching Blades of Glory on my original 360 Elite with the HD-DVD player (yes I have one :) ) and it froze up with graphic artifacts. Restarted and tried playing some DOOM and same thing. Opened it up, as I had modded it and it had been opened already, and it is out of warranty and pulled off the heat sinks. The thermal compound on the left chip (not sure if it is GPU or CPU) was non-existent. Cleaned it up, added thermal compound, put it back together and now when it turns on it just gives me 3 red lights around the edge. Guess that is the RROD.

I could try the oven trick I suppose and see if it helps. Or see if I can borrow a heat gun from someone but I hear that fix only lasts for a couple months.

So the point of this whole thing is can the current 360 consoles be modded or should I look for a used system?

I don't know if modchips were ever made for the E models, but I think there are for the S models. I don't know if know S models are still being stocked in stores, though. You're probably going to have to go used if you need a modded console.

Poor 360 Elite, it finally just gave up on life after you tried to force it to play Blades of Glory.

If these things overheat not sure of next gen they really should put dust filters on the console that the user can clean off whenever this is probably the main reason why these newer consoles burn out just overheating.....

Maybe the X-One is easier to clean the the PS4 maybe their are some tutorials on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ2wB-n7Sjg

My PS3 went that way...turned off cause of heat...I opened it up, saw all the crusty thermal paste...replaced it, cleaned it up, and still RLOD. I think its getting to the paste before the overheat may be key.

The problem in both systems was new lead free solder process and the flexing from heating up and cooling down very well documented. Re ball required for proper fix just replace system if you can't or don't want to pay for that.

And why are we talking about mod chips to pirate games.

The problem in both systems was new lead free solder process and the flexing from heating up and cooling down very well documented. Re ball required for proper fix just replace system if you can't or don't want to pay for that.

Whoa, no one said anything about piracy. Modchips are primarily used to run homebrew and get around region locking.

Never used a mod chip, I just flashed the drive. In fact, could I pull the drive from the dead system and put it in a new one?

Eh, probably wouldn't even get that far, been debating if it is even worth it to get another 360 just to play some games. Although I do like Too Human. Had no ideal they had to recall all of the copies due to that lawsuit.

Poor 360 Elite, it finally just gave up on life after you tried to force it to play Blades of Glory.

Hey, it's a good movie :p

This is correct. It wasn't because of dust or something silly like that.

Did they switch solder mat'l on the Xbone / PS4?

Did they switch solder mat'l on the Xbone / PS4?

Not sure, but I think they had to switch to lead-free solder because of regulations -

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/manufacture/soldering/lead_free_soldering/using-lead-free-solder.php said:
Lead free soldering is now a major issue on the agenda of companies manufacturing electronics equipment. Lead is a major constituent of traditional solder and as a result there are concerns over the amount of lead entering the environment. As a result there has been legislation in many areas of the world and a consequent impetus to move to lead free soldering.

Probably improved the process and/or the QA to prevent most of the issues though (I hope)

Never used a mod chip, I just flashed the drive. In fact, could I pull the drive from the dead system and put it in a new one?

Eh, probably wouldn't even get that far, been debating if it is even worth it to get another 360 just to play some games. Although I do like Too Human. Had no ideal they had to recall all of the copies due to that lawsuit.

Hey, it's a good movie :p
No, to your first point. Both the S and E models use a different form factor and interface for the hard drive over the original. And no, the transfer tool doesn't work, either. I suppose if you somehow converted it to USB, now that the 360 supports up to 2TB of external storage...

Yeah they improved the process and we aren't making 90 nm ovens for chips these days

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A lot of people forget about are the gpu's memory. They are just as susceptible to heat as the cpu and gpu. But it is such an easy fix.Check YouTube for the penny trick.
I have a core system from 2006 which rrod'd back in 09 after a particularly long session on Guitar Hero. Being out of warranty I did the penny trick AND the towel trick and it has worked perfectly to this day. Took less than an hour to fix and cost literally pennies.

Back