RROD but only 2 red lights,overheating issue

brhinton89

Limp Gawd
So my xbox 360 took a dump on me. A Microsoft tech support guy says its overheating because its 2 red lights flashing and not 3 lights flashing. I looked on the back of the xbox and i could see that only one fan was turning and the other was not even trying to turn. I was also told it would be about$94.99 (xbox website) to get a repair but for another $100 i can get a brand new console and just take my hdd and put it on the new console. What would you guys do because if i pay for the repair and it fails again later it may be another $94.99.Please correct me if i'm wrong. The mfr date says december 13th 2005, so it may take a future dump. :p

if you are out of warranty then look up on ebay for a fan replacement. (it will be cheaper than paying microshaft that much money.) or if you want to try aftermarket fans try Whisper Max fans I use those and it ten times better that the crap microshaft put in.

i'm w/ nokia on this one, it sounds like you're out of warranty with your box, so do a little bit of research about the best way to open up your console (plenty of pic by pic tutorials out there, i'm sure) and then buy a cheaper aftermarket fan. worst case scenario...well it sucks cuz you're out of a console but you're headed there as it is. Paying to have it repaired is nice because you get peace of mind, but there's no guarentee the rest of the box will last as long as the new 100 dollar fan.

I just called in again and they said it will be $99.99 and i just bought GOW 2 three days ago for $30.00. :mad:

i'm w/ nokia on this one, it sounds like you're out of warranty with your box, so do a little bit of research about the best way to open up your console (plenty of pic by pic tutorials out there, i'm sure) and then buy a cheaper aftermarket fan. worst case scenario...well it sucks cuz you're out of a console but you're headed there as it is. Paying to have it repaired is nice because you get peace of mind, but there's no guarentee the rest of the box will last as long as the new 100 dollar fan.

Agreed, pop it open and point a fan at it. If that works then just buy a new one. You've got nothing to lose being out of warranty and all.

So let me get this straight, MS wants $200 to replace your console with a new one? This seems like a no brainer to me. What you do is, you call MS back, thank them kindly for their offer and inform them that they can proceed to go fuck themselves. Then, go buy yourself a new console for the same price with all the accessories (If you keep an eye out on SD, there are a lot of 360 deals that keep coming up, most notable the Dell ones), or slap on a twenty dollar intercooler and go on your merry way.

Apparently, you need to read the OP again O_O;;

um no I think you need to read again

So my xbox 360 took a dump on me. A Microsoft tech support guy says its overheating because its 2 red lights flashing and not 3 lights flashing. I looked on the back of the xbox and i could see that only one fan was turning and the other was not even trying to turn. I was also told it would be about$94.99 (xbox website) to get a repair but for another $100 i can get a brand new console and just take my hdd and put it on the new console. What would you guys do because if i pay for the repair and it fails again later it may be another $94.99.Please correct me if i'm wrong. The mfr date says december 13th 2005, so it may take a future dump. :p

he doesn't say for $100 for a new console, he is saying FOR ANOTHER $100 so $95+100 = $195 for a new console

um no I think you need to read again

he doesn't say for $100 for a new console, he is saying FOR ANOTHER $100 so $95+100 = $195 for a new console

hes saying he can go get a new one himself for another 100 (aka 200) which is why he isn't sure about giving them 100 now and maybe 100 later if it breaks again.

;):rolleyes:

My understanding is that you might be able to fix this by blowing it out with canned air. If the fan is dead you'll need to replace it (you can get aftermarket fans for it) but you'll end up having to open the case and voiding the warranty. What's that worth right now?

If you end up opening it you should pull off the heatsinks and install better thermal grease, such as AS5. If you decide not to replace the thermal grease at least make sure that the heatsinks are screwed nice and snug.

hes saying he can go get a new one himself for another 100 (aka 200) which is why he isn't sure about giving them 100 now and maybe 100 later if it breaks again.

;):rolleyes:

haha ok im off a bit then, still hes saying it would cost him $200 for a new console :p

but I agree wihit everyone else, fix it yourself since its out of warrenty, and if that doesnt work just buy a new one.

So let me get this straight, MS wants $200 to replace your console with a new one? This seems like a no brainer to me. What you do is, you call MS back, thank them kindly for their offer and inform them that they can proceed to go fuck themselves. Then, go buy yourself a new console for the same price with all the accessories (If you keep an eye out on SD, there are a lot of 360 deals that keep coming up, most notable the Dell ones), or slap on a twenty dollar intercooler and go on your merry way.

Lol yeah teach them a lesson by going out and buying a new console therefore giving them more of your money. Ooooh that will make them think twice!

My understanding is that you might be able to fix this by blowing it out with canned air. If the fan is dead you'll need to replace it (you can get aftermarket fans for it) but you'll end up having to open the case and voiding the warranty. What's that worth right now?

If you end up opening it you should pull off the heatsinks and install better thermal grease, such as AS5. If you decide not to replace the thermal grease at least make sure that the heatsinks are screwed nice and snug.

That may be possible however the older consoles had issues where the GPU would seperate from the motherboard due to cold solder joints and excessive heat. Hope its slavagable dude. But some good news would be a newer unit would have all or most of those issues resolved and run more reliable that the originals. Good Luck im on my 4th XBOX360 now. So far the newer chipset one i have has been good.

Lol yeah teach them a lesson by going out and buying a new console therefore giving them more of your money. Ooooh that will make them think twice!

Dude it was a joke, who said anything about teaching them a lesson? :rolleyes: The way the OP stated it, it sounded like they offered to replace the console for an additional $100 on top of the initial repair cost, which would have been a complete rip off. Thus, my comment about telling them to in effect, cram their replacement cost.

Since that's not the case, were I in his position, I would just go buy an aftermarket cooler and try to get as much life out of that console as possible. Then, when it finally does go belly up, go buy a new console that isn't plagued with all of the problems of the first generation 360's.

That may be possible however the older consoles had issues where the GPU would seperate from the motherboard due to cold solder joints and excessive heat. Hope its slavagable dude.

It's not just possible, it's most likely the issue. 2 lights means overheating, If the GPU seperated from the MB you would expect 1 or 3 lights indicating a general hardware fault. It's not probable that the GPU has seperated from reading the OP's description.

Back