RPG Game Suggestion For Girlfriend

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
My girlfriend likes games. She kinda new to them. She's HUGE into Sims 4 Previously played Sims 3 a lot. Just bought her Planet Coaster because she loves rollercoasters and it has a Sims vibe to it too. She's played a couple other games in the pas but can't remember the names to them.

Curious to see if she'd like RPG games. What's a good entry level RPG game with "good graphics". Nothing too complex. She only likes new movies within that party two decades since older movies have sucky graphics/CGI. She's the same way with games only interested in ones that have good graphics.
Any suggestions?

This one looks good hut highly stylized should be decent for someone new to the genre

Still decent looking and not too hard

Same goes for this one

Ofc there are more complex ones like divinity: orginal sin 1 and 2, pillars of eternity 1 and 2, tides of numenera non fantasy there are the fallout and mass effect series but those are semi (first) person shooters.

I think you are asking for a tough combo there. Good looking game, modern, and not too complex. The RPG genre pretty much loves complexity.

Honestly I would just try to find the highest quality story that appeals to her. Maybe if she likes it find one that she can play as a female character. There are tons of lists out there on RPSs with details and images. Start there and see what piques her interest. Don't make the assumption that she needs something simple. A great story pulls you into the game and brings you along slowly in the mechanics of play.

Dragon Age Origins is fantastic and filled with great characters and romance. The Mass Effect series is also great. Star Wars Knights of the Old Replic.

Okay, there are many ways I can go with this but we'll need a little more information...

First, what platforms do you have and/or want to use? It seems like everything you mention is on PC so I'll be focusing there; these days most titles are on PC as well.

You speak of her trying a RPG - as far as you know, has she ever played any sort of game she might think of as an RPG before? If so, what was it?

Is this meant to be a single player experience for her, or something possibly co-operative for the two of you? Trying to find the latter may restrict things a bit but is not necessarily impossible depending on the answers to the following...

Next, "RPG" can describe a huge number of game mechanics, genres and subgenres. Are you looking for a Western style "CRPG" (ie legacy of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale etc. Today it would be something more like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age perhaps)? A Japanese style "JRPG" (ie some sort of turn-based-ish combat, party and story focused... Final Fantasy, Xenogears, and Chrono Trigger are classic examples and there are too many to list today!) Something with first/third person adventure/RPGs like The Legend of Zelda, Skyrim, Fallout ( New Vegas, 4 ) , Mass Effect or The Witcher series that have inventory management, stats/leveling up etc...but somewhat action-y combat? Something like Diablo or Borderlands "Shoot and Loot", with a story, leveling up, equipment and stats but fully action/twitchy/clicky combat?

Basically, what is it about "RPGs" that you think she will enjoy? Does she want a vast open world with lots of free roaming and little guidance, or something more linear that moves the story along? Does she want to customize her characters and/or create her own avatar or will she want to experience a story with a set cast of characters? Does she want strategy/management/tactical elements since you mention some of her other favorites? Will she need a game that provides a significant amount of tutorial/instruction versus one with less hand holding? Any more detail of what you were looking for will help.

What does she consider "Good graphics?" Does this mean photo-realism, or is high quality stylistic work acceptable as well? Does she only dislike "bad CGI" or is she against anything "retro" looking like even high quality pixel art etc.? How important is the graphics element overall?

What is her feeling regarding Anime and/or experience/interest with Japanese culture/media?

Once I have a little more info I can give you a better direction, but I have quite a few options in mind....

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Hell yea haha, have you introduced her into the Final Fantasy series? 7 is my all time favorite but it is older. ff15 is the latest and the graphics look great.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Honestly, your best bet is Zelda or Skyrim. Not saying Skyrim isn't complex, but I don't think you should throw something easy at someone just because they are a beginner or female. Both games are kind to low skill and grow with the user in complexity.

Kingdom Come Deliverance. Best RPG in the past decade IMO. If she likes RPGs she might be able to tolerate the graphics of Baldur's Gate - which is easily one of the best RPGs ever. While it's more of an action game than strictly an RPG, dishonored has a lot of the right elements, and a kickass story to boot.

Well, my wife played and loved the Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon games and she really seems to enjoy Torchlight and Torchlight II. While the graphics may not be cutting edge, the game style and game play are excellent and not at all demanding. You could totally skip the first Torchlight and go straight into the second one and not miss anything of substance.

I might suggest Civilization VI for a thinking type game. That's more strategy than RPG, but it might be something enjoyable as it's designed to feel epic, can be picked up and put down without consequence (other than perhaps not remembering what you were doing when you last played), and allows as much time to do each move as you'd like (as in, no twitch gaming).

If that seems complex, I might look into console games on either Switch or PS4. Some of the Switch stuff has already been suggested as has some PS4 stuff (FF series). I think those are all good places to start. I would probably stay away from any FPS games with RPG elements to start, but that's more of a difficulty curve than anything. Although I guess if she's going to get into that genre, she'd have to learn WASD and mouse aiming eventually.

It isn't a RPG, but Dungeons 3 is a good humorous game if your a fan of the dungeon-keeper type of games. She already plays Sims 4 so that part is covered. 1+ for the Mass effect series (2nd one especially) My niece is a big fan of the Bioshock series but that's not a true RPG either. You could consider the Elder Scrolls Online if you two want to play together. Has the online element though, but pretty much like Skyrim. (Also a very good game)

I got my wife into gaming about a year and a half ago with the Mass Effect series. She loved the story and character drama. She checked in on Kaidan at the Citadel Hospital after every mission in ME:3. Now she plays just about anything, but prefers more story-driven games. Horizon on the PS4 is probably her favorite game that she's played thus far, but right now she is pretty into Detroit.

I also had her play Mass Effect with 4k texture packs and all the upgrade mods I could find (not the nude mods, lolz). Even ME1 looks pretty decent with those addons. ME1 is also very newbie-friendly as you can 'pause' any action and select abilities, which definitely helps when you're not only unfamiliar with the controller, but also gaming as a whole.

Dungeon Defenders!! used to play when it was on Android back in the day then it was never updated for newer devices. this thread is a gold mine.

If she wants deep story (and somewhat convoluted story to boot) - there's Pillars of Eternity I & II. Also Divine Divinity II. The new Assassins Creed Odyssey is supposed to be more RPG than action - and female main as well if that matters at all.

My girlfriend likes games. She kinda new to them. She's HUGE into Sims 4 Previously played Sims 3 a lot. Just bought her Planet Coaster because she loves rollercoasters and it has a Sims vibe to it too. She's played a couple other games in the pas but can't remember the names to them.

Curious to see if she'd like RPG games. What's a good entry level RPG game with "good graphics". Nothing too complex. She only likes new movies within that party two decades since older movies have sucky graphics/CGI. She's the same way with games only interested in ones that have good graphics.
Any suggestions?

Look into the Dragonquest games, they are fun and simple to start with assuming she doesn't mind the art style. otherwise Skyrim is pretty simple play and you can just wander and do what you want.

It would be helpful if you mentioned the system she will use

Switch...Zelda
XB/PS4..Kingdom Hearts (possibly PC too)
PC - It depends on what she wants. Diablo 3 /Torchlight series for a ARPG, Stick of truth if she likes comedy, anything bioware or skyrim for something more serious. If she has played PnP RPGs the Dvinity Series or Pathfinder: Kingmaker

South Park series
A Hat in Time
Yooka-Laylee
Ni no Kuni II Revenant Kingdom
Portal
Dragon Quest series
Final Fantasy series
Tales Series
Ori
Owlboy
I am Setsuna

Agree with all the recommendations for Zelda games, Borderlands games, and Skyrim. Those are good starting points depending on taste. Zelda probably has the widest appeal overall. Borderlands is great, but it does involve a lot of FPS elements, and you have to be able to lower your threshold for humor a bit. :D It's quite juvenile a lot of the time, but if you let yourself giggle a bit, some of it actually is kind of funny at that level.

Buy a Switch and Zelda?

My gf basically just likes to watch me play games, and Zelda's one of the ones she found very interesting to watch (she'll drop what she's doing and just sit there and ask questions and point things out, it's cute). I think it's about as close as she's gotten to playing an RPG. Surprisingly, she's asked if she could play a few times, moving around and collecting things. She's got some trouble with controlling the camera (which takes a bit of time to master), but it's been good progress, and I'm glad to see her getting into it.

Outside of that, she mostly likes to Mario Kart and Party, or the Lego games, I'm not sure how I'd even get her into RPG's, though I suppose I haven't tried very hard. Lot of good suggestions here, with great stories (which she likes).

Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Looks like an animated movie (Ghibli!) and is not too complex gameplay wise with a good story.

Final Fantasy XV
Great graphics on PS4 Pro, XB1X, and PC. Has hot guys constantly highlighted with the female gaze. You can change their outfits and objectify them all you want. Pretty good story. Gameplay a little more involved than Ni No Kuni, but still nothing too complex. Cutscenes look like a movie.

My gf basically just likes to watch me play games, and Zelda's one of the ones she found very interesting to watch (she'll drop what she's doing and just sit there and ask questions and point things out, it's cute). I think it's about as close as she's gotten to playing an RPG. Surprisingly, she's asked if she could play a few times, moving around and collecting things. She's got some trouble with controlling the camera (which takes a bit of time to master), but it's been good progress, and I'm glad to see her getting into it.

Outside of that, she mostly likes to Mario Kart and Party, or the Lego games, I'm not sure how I'd even get her into RPG's, though I suppose I haven't tried very hard. Lot of good suggestions here, with great stories (which she likes).
Why not let her start with a 2D Zelda game as the controls will be easier.

Zelda games are considered RPGs? When did this start happening? Does that mean Mario games are RTS?

Why not let her start with a 2D Zelda game as the controls will be easier.

That'd be a good idea, I'll see what she thinks. I think she's just really into the story aspect of games more than the...gameplay aspect. She likes watching movies/shows/reading, so I think it sort of fulfills that aspect. I think if she got more comfortable over time with controls, she'd dive deeper into games.

Zelda games are considered RPGs? When did this start happening? Does that mean Mario games are RTS?

I'm not really trying to derail the thread or get into this sort of argument, especially since there're a whole lot of factors in play, but to me it's got a lot of RPG mechanics like leveling up your heart containers (sure, not an exp. point system, but close enough) and gear upgrades (more so the latest installment). I think I'd lean more towards action-adventure, but it contains some RPG elements, therefore I just haphazardly called it an RPG.

Last edited:
It's technically tactical strategy, but:
upload_2018-10-9_11-39-18.png

Reactions: Youn
like this
Yea, if you are recommending Zelda games, I think that Mario+Rabbids game definitely qualifies. It looks really fun especially for a beginner and can be played co-op.

Ni No Kuni 2
DQXI
Both Divinity Games (play them together)
Bioshock series
Witcher III - set it to story mode and go

Back