Routers, cables, and heat

gangolfus

Gawd
I just moved into a condo and my desk will be in the living room. In an effort to keep things looking cleaner and nicer, I would like to put my wireless router and modem in the furnace closet (which shares a wall with my desk) to be out of sight. My question is: do you think it will get too hot in there during the winter for this to work?

Also as part of this project, I want to run a cable from the furnace closet to the other side of the room on top of the exposed duct work. This is the only way I can think of getting a cable across the room without opening up walls. Again my question is: do you think the duct work will get too hot in winter for this to work?

TIA.

well i can't speak for anyone else here on the forums but i have my file server sitting right next to our furnace, and the network lines for it get to it through the duct work.... The server hasn't overheated yet and the llines aren't melted either so it must not be to bad.

"Again my question is: do you think the duct work will get too hot in winter for this to work?"

If you live in FL... I'd guess not. If you are north of BC... it might be an issue.
Generally speaking I've seen people run cables via duct work in a pinch but leaving the wireless router in there might cause more problems.

I don't think it should be a big issue. We have out phone system in the furnace closet at work.

Back